News: Maroons next contract

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It's really sad how some people are so desperate for another franchise to find themselves in an untenable situation.

Ther are already in trouble this would be nails in the coffin IMOsnd do what if I dislike a franchise/team. I'm sure being a Broncos fan there are certain AFC teams you hate and wish nothing but dirt too.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ther are already in trouble this would be nails in the coffin IMOsnd do what if I dislike a franchise/team. I'm sure being a Broncos fan there are certain AFC teams you hate and wish nothing but dirt too.

We have no real idea yet how much the cap will be a problem. I'd say that even if Maroon got $3.5-4M the Oilers have a better than 50-50 chance that they can keep the current rooster together going forward with at most minor tweaks. That said this is an important contract to get right.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maroon was unheard of until McDavid and anyone giving him north of 5 are insane. He is a decent player, with great chemistry with McDavid. He had 42 points playing with the current best player in the game, and that is because of chemistry. Without McDavid, he will be the same 25-35 point player he was beforehand.

Edit- He is like Chris Kunitz with McDavid.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As per tsn, Oilers have opened talks with Maroon. This is a tough situation IMO. He is definitely a product of mcdavid, but chemistry is hard to find. Hopefully he isnt geeedy and pulls an Anson Carter. For his career he better play this smart. What do you think he gets?

absolutely he needs to be. This is his chance to make some big bucks and set his family up for many decades.

This will be his chance to hit the jackpot.

People need to stop pretending they wouldn't be greedy if they were in situations like Maroon, Anson Carter, etc etc

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
absolutely he needs to be. This is his chance to make some big bucks and set his family up for many decades.

This will be his chance to hit the jackpot.

People need to stop pretending they wouldn't be greedy if they were in situations like Maroon, Anson Carter, etc etc

Or stop pretending it's "greedy" at all for a player to get the best possible contract he can. Like any of us would agree to take literally millions of dollars less just so some random fan we've never met and probably never will approves :help:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
After he left Edmonton he did jack squat for like 5 years. hit the canucks and put up a great season because he played with the sedins on the top line. Demanded too much money, left and disappeared overseas.

Demanded. Well whatever the case, like I said, he wasn't a core player so nobody (should have) missed him. If Maroon is a core player pay the man decent money to stick around long term. If he isn't let him go make that money somewhere else.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Anything under $4.5M is a discount. I think he'd easily get $5M on the open market.

This is Peter Chiarelli folks, expect a 5yr/ $30m contract with a full NTC

You're right. How terrible was that Beleskey contract? What kind of an idiot pays nearly $4M a year for an 8-point winger. That Chiarelli... oh wait, that wasn't Chia? Never mind.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Anything under $4.5M is a discount. I think he'd easily get $5M on the open market.

You're right. How terrible was that Beleskey contract? What kind of an idiot pays nearly $4M a year for an 8-point winger. That Chiarelli... oh wait, that wasn't Chia? Never mind.

Pretty difficult to defend Chiarelli's contract history. Hence the deflection, eh?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
My prediction is that he will go to UFA and get paid. I will be pleased if he decides to stay for around 3.5 but it's basically his one chance to get a big deal. The Oilers also have a lot of wingers coming up in Caggiula, Slepyshev, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi and Khaira. He's a big part of the team, but expendable. Can't overpay on this deal.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Pretty difficult to defend Chiarelli's contract history. Hence the deflection, eh?

There's nothing difficult about having to defend someone who built a Cup winner. I know the Bruins fanbase on HF has decided to Men in Black themselves over that in favor of worshipping their savior Don Sweeney, but the rest of us still remember- and are watching as he does the same thing with another franchise.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maroon was unheard of until McDavid and anyone giving him north of 5 are insane. He is a decent player, with great chemistry with McDavid. He had 42 points playing with the current best player in the game, and that is because of chemistry. Without McDavid, he will be the same 25-35 point player he was beforehand.

Edit- He is like Chris Kunitz with McDavid.

Kunitz made 3.85 AAV for what he did with Crosby on that last deal, and with cap inflation it equates to a deal worth 4.5 AAV today. (the cap percentage was even higher earlier on his career)

I think the AAV will be much lower than that for Maroon though.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'm guessing he commits long-term and sacrifices money for the chance to be a part of something great. 3.0*5, or something like that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Some bad some good no question.

Klefbom at 4.16M is a steal. Got Kassian to sign a very reasonable 3 year deal at 1.95M. McDavid could have had max if he wanted, and was able to lock him up for 8 years instead of the speculated 5 or 6 years that many thought he'd sign for. Took a bit of a gamble on Talbot at 4.16 which as of now he probably deserves closer to 6. Letestu at 1.8 is very good value. Sekera at 5.5 is good value, especially when considering he was UFA. Lucic has too many years, yes, but the dollar number is fine. Draisaitl I won't really get into. Definitely a gamble, but given it bought 8 years and my belief that he'll be a top 10C in the league I'm fine with that gamble.

So while yes, Chia has some bad contracts he's handed out, its far from being all bad like you suggest. He's a mixed bag on the contract side, but at least he knows how to build a team.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
This is Peter Chiarelli folks, expect a 5yr/ $30m contract with a full NTC

The same Peter Chiarelli who helped bring a Stanley Cup to Boston since the stone ages?:laugh: Most Bruins fans on this board probably weren't even born the last time the Bruins won a cup prior to 2011.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
David Clarkson had a 30 goal season, so what is your point? He also didn't play with anyone special when he did it, he was on Jersey.

... well, David Clarkson kind of increased his value after the 30 goal season, no?

Ducks traded Maroon retaining 500k$, so his AAV was 1.5m$ AAV, after getting traded for a 4th and a minor prospect. So pretty much 1.5m$ in the open market. So if he signs for more than 1.5m$ after this season, he has increased his value, no?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Some Bruins fans just need to get over Chiarelli. Every thread about the Oilers you get some Bruins fan chiming on on how bad Chiarelli is. Move on..

He's done a hell of a job with the Oilers.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Oilers have about 90% of the leverage with Maroon. 3 x 3 is more than fair for a player with Maroon's history and mileage. Teams have given bad deals to Brouwer, Beleskey, Clarkson, etc. As a fan, I hope EDM doesn't do the same with Maroon.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Some Bruins fans just need to get over Chiarelli. Every thread about the Oilers you get some Bruins fan chiming on on how bad Chiarelli is. Move on..

He's done a hell of a job with the Oilers.

I know right? Some ppl like to hold grudges. I find that to be pretty petty but oh well. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers have about 90% of the leverage with Maroon. 3 x 3 is more than fair for a player with Maroon's history and mileage. Teams have given bad deals to Brouwer, Beleskey, Clarkson, etc. As a fan, I hope EDM doesn't do the same with Maroon.

I think 3x3 would make sense for both sides. I know everyone in this thread is saying oh Maroon should go cash in big on the open market, but do people seriously think that some team is going to pay Maroon 5-6M for 5-6 years? Maroon would be lucky to get over 3-4 years of the open market given his skating ability and age, and don't think the entire league doesn't know that he is essentially the grunt and opportunist on McDavid's line. He's absolutely a valuable player to the Oilers much more than he would be to any other team.

At least with a 3x3 deal he keeps his scoring up and has the potential to get another contract when he's 33. If he signs elsewhere for say 4-4.5M x3-4 years I would not be surprised if he's out of the league after that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad