News: Maroons next contract

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
As per tsn, Oilers have opened talks with Maroon. This is a tough situation IMO. He is definitely a product of mcdavid, but chemistry is hard to find. Hopefully he isnt geeedy and pulls an Anson Carter. For his career he better play this smart. What do you think he gets?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Take top dollar in UFA and be the team whipping boy within a year...

Or take OK dollar and keep playing with McDavid.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
"you only get paid once"

thats the case for maroon, he is a decent player but mcdavid makes life extremely easy

if he is resigning its probably a 4x4 deal

if he hits the open market he gets 5x5 or maybe even more in terms of salary you know being a powerforward and all

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
decent hands, slow as a rock, has great chemistry with McDavid. He should probably cash-in now and then see what happens. He's not a top-line player anywhere else.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
"you only get paid once"

thats the case for maroon, he is a decent player but mcdavid makes life extremely easy

if he is resigning its probably a 4x4 deal

if he hits the open market he gets 5x5 or maybe even more in terms of salary you know being a powerforward and all

i would hate either of these, seems like a forced contract. Maroon should re-sign on a team friendly contract and take fair money... he isnt a 16-20 million dollar player without McDavid i expect 4 years at 3M or 3 years at closer to 3.5M

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd give him 5 per if the Ducks agree to keep paying 25% of his contract. :laugh: Otherwise, 3 x 3.85 or 4 x 3.5 would be my guess.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
i would hate either of these, seems like a forced contract. Maroon should re-sign on a team friendly contract and take fair money... he isnt a 16-20 million dollar player without McDavid i expect 4 years at 3M or 3 years at closer to 3.5M

I doubt he gets 3. Imo 4 is probably a solid number for both parties. Anymore and let him walk.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

its the only time he will get paid, he is 29 and its his one big chance to cash in

unless he really doesnt care about the money i fully expect him to chase after a big contract especially since in 8 years in the nhl he has only earned around 10 million total (only in terms of nhl players haha)

he has the potential to double or triple what he has earned so far in his career and as any mid range player that suddenly breaks out they go chasing the money

thats what i would expect to happen here as well but who knows maybe maroon takes a discount to play with mcdavid like how players were taking discounts to play with crosby

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can't imagine he would get any less than 4mill per year on a 4 year term. Product of McDavid or not.

However there is no way the Oilers can pay him that. If he wants to stay an Oiler, 3 mill is the most I imagine they could go.

As for term... Im fine with as many years as he wants. Give him 8years if he will sign for 2.5 or less a year :)

Both because of money and I think he wants to live states side I doubt he remains an Oiler.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
As an Oilers fan I would walk away from anything over what Eaves got and would prefer something like 2.5 x 4. Though its Chia so tack on an extra year and another mil, I expect to see 4x4.125 and to be disappointed by it.

It's weird they are looking at this now as anything more than 2.5 and it is pretty much guaranteeing Nuge is gone. You would think they would wait and see if Maroon can repeat and if Nuge can bounce back then make their decision on how to manage the cap. Only really makes sense to do this now if they can get the cap hit down. Though I would have said the same thing with McDavid, I don't think the timing on signing him made much sense and I don't think it resulted in any discount so I am not sure what Chia is thinking here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad