News: Maroons next contract

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's not a slow skater for sure but theres no way he should be paid like a guy that has put up multiple 20+ goal seasons. The Eaves contract should be the comparable. He was able to at least catch up with McDavid on the 1st goal

Let's not forget that Eaves is 33 years old and has a history of being injury prone. Maroon will be 30 at the start of his next deal.

The two contracts which come to mind for me are Zack Smith and Matt Beleskey. Both are similar ages, both at one point were thought to be solid veteran third liners, and both had an uncharacteristically big goal scoring years close to their contract year. Smith signed for 3.25Mx4Y and at the time it was seen as a home town discount, Belesky signed for 3.8Mx5Y.

That tells me, Maroon might try to angle for something close to 4M in the 4-5 year range. Eaves is a bad comparable because Maroon is neither 33 or injury prone.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No they didn't. Hall looked lost playing with McDavid and Eberle was awful no matter who he played with since McDavid became an Oiler.

Take a look at Eberle's scoring logs--they worked fine together. The issue is they weren't scoring every single game, which is what's expected when you load your top line. Eberle's production with McDavid was no better than it was without him. Thus my point.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Take a look at Eberle's scoring logs--they worked fine together. The issue is they weren't scoring every single game, which is what's expected when you load your top line. Eberle's production with McDavid was no better than it was without him. Thus my point.

because eberle was/is a perimater floater who is afraid of getting dirty. thats why maroon works because he does the little things while mcdavid works his magic

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

That is also my point.

Eberle was garbage with and without McDavid. I don't see how that can be considered "working"

Players like Drai and Maroon who actually do work well with McDavid elevate their gameplay when playing with McDavid. Its not as easy to do as some make it out to be.

The post you were originally responding to stated they didn't play well together. You claimed that they did, in theory. They didn't in reality.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TSN's That's Hockey was discussing this at the start of tonight's show. Since arriving from Ana Maroon has a 16% shooting percentage. Look we all know how much flak players like Kadri got when it was a little high. It's great that he can play with McJesus but being slow as molasses doesn't help and at some point that shooting percentage has to come down a little. If PC is smart he says 3million X 4yrs. If I am Maroon I take it because otherwise he will be the next Clarkson. Plus PC has bigger fish to fry with Nurse IMO.

I hope PC messes this up and Oilers find themselves in cap hell.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I guess that's why you're a Broncos fan in San Diego.

And I thought this was a hockey forum.

Are you a mod? Or just ignorant and determined to go off-topic? Why does it trigger you simply because one has another rooting interest from another sport displayed via an avatar and user title?

You do realize more than just hockey is discussed on HFBoards, right?

It's a competition - no one cares about your perceived sadness.

Oh it's not my sadness I'm referring to, it's a reflection on those who seem to derive glee from imagining a franchise in cap hell. Different strokes, I guess.

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Tough choice. accept $3.5M in Edm or get paid $5Mish maybe by a team who is dumb and thinks he is better than what McDavid gifted him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
anyone can click with mcdavid, marron is a product of mcdavid. besides they will need cap for the future, so re-signing him for 3-4 million isn't a good idea. also, put anyone with mcdavid they will preform well

Hall, Lucic, and Eberle couldn't.

Such an idiotic statement. No, not anyone can "click" with a star player. A star player can make most better, but that's not even remotely close to "clicking" with them. As Homesick said... much better players than Maroon played with him, and it didn't work, or at least not very well.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As per tsn, Oilers have opened talks with Maroon. This is a tough situation IMO. He is definitely a product of mcdavid, but chemistry is hard to find. Hopefully he isnt geeedy and pulls an Anson Carter. For his career he better play this smart. What do you think he gets?

I honestly have no idea what you mean by "pull an Anson Carter". The guy was a good/decent scoring winger for a good number of teams. There isn't one I consider his "main" team for his career. He was never a core player at any point in his career. Nothing wrong with those guys following the cash while they can.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Let's not forget that Eaves is 33 years old and has a history of being injury prone. Maroon will be 30 at the start of his next deal.

The two contracts which come to mind for me are Zack Smith and Matt Beleskey. Both are similar ages, both at one point were thought to be solid veteran third liners, and both had an uncharacteristically big goal scoring years close to their contract year. Smith signed for 3.25Mx4Y and at the time it was seen as a home town discount, Belesky signed for 3.8Mx5Y.

That tells me, Maroon might try to angle for something close to 4M in the 4-5 year range. Eaves is a bad comparable because Maroon is neither 33 or injury prone.

Maroon was also sliding down the depth chart in Anaheim.

He doesn't exactly have a long, proven track record at the NHL level.

Matt Beleksy is looking like a contract that the Bruins will regret.

So sure Maroon will try for 4M but there is a good chance that it could be a contract the Oilers would regret.

If he doesn't want to take a reasonable contract I don't see why the Oilers should resign him.

It's not like it will be hard to find someone to play on Mcdavid's wing and score 40 points. Free agents will jump at that chance.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I honestly have no idea what you mean by "pull an Anson Carter". The guy was a good/decent scoring winger for a good number of teams. There isn't one I consider his "main" team for his career. He was never a core player at any point in his career. Nothing wrong with those guys following the cash while they can.
After he left Edmonton he did jack squat for like 5 years. hit the canucks and put up a great season because he played with the sedins on the top line. Demanded too much money, left and disappeared overseas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad