News: Maroons next contract

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think 3x3 would make sense for both sides. I know everyone in this thread is saying oh Maroon should go cash in big on the open market, but do people seriously think that some team is going to pay Maroon 5-6M for 5-6 years? Maroon would be lucky to get over 3-4 years of the open market given his skating ability and age, and don't think the entire league doesn't know that he is essentially the grunt and opportunist on McDavid's line. He's absolutely a valuable player to the Oilers much more than he would be to any other team.

At least with a 3x3 deal he keeps his scoring up and has the potential to get another contract when he's 33. If he signs elsewhere for say 4-4.5M x3-4 years I would not be surprised if he's out of the league after that contract.

So he should accept 9 million and stay with he Oilers, out of the goodness of his heart, instead of taking 16 million with someone else?

Would you? Knowing that every player is one nasty hit from being done?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So he should accept 9 million and stay with he Oilers, out of the goodness of his heart, instead of taking 16 million with someone else?

Would you? Knowing that every player is one nasty hit from being done?

Those were arbitrary numbers. My point was that Maroon can likely prolong his career by staying in Edmonton at less money than some foolish team might give him in UFA. I would be incredibly surprised if any team offered him more than 4 years on a contract given his age and skating. If Maroon goes elsewhere I think it will likely be his last NHL contract if its 4 years long, while I think he could easily get another contract if he stays in Edmonton for 3-4 years.

If I changed my numbers to 3Mx4 years in Edmonton vs. 4Mx4 years somewhere else then maybe it makes more sense.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anything under $4.5M is a discount. I think he'd easily get $5M on the open market.

You're right. How terrible was that Beleskey contract? What kind of an idiot pays nearly $4M a year for an 8-point winger. That Chiarelli... oh wait, that wasn't Chia? Never mind.

$4.5m for a player who only produces next to Connor McDavid. Not bloody likely.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He used to be a lazy turd.
He's lost a lot of weight over the past 2 off seasons.
Players that spend 2 seasons preparing themselves to look as good as possible on their contract year generally don't go looking for lowball offers.
I think he's going to hold out for at least 5M.
Remember, people are expecting a huge increase in cap after this season because of the stronger Canadian dollar and Vegas.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Those were arbitrary numbers. My point was that Maroon can likely prolong his career by staying in Edmonton at less money than some foolish team might give him in UFA. I would be incredibly surprised if any team offered him more than 4 years on a contract given his age and skating. If Maroon goes elsewhere I think it will likely be his last NHL contract if its 4 years long, while I think he could easily get another contract if he stays in Edmonton for 3-4 years.

If I changed my numbers to 3Mx4 years in Edmonton vs. 4Mx4 years somewhere else then maybe it makes more sense.

I guess I think more of Big Rig than you.

It's like you'd go into negotiations saying.....

"Listen Pat, we all know you aren't a very good player, everyone knows McDavid bounces pucks off you". "We want you to sign a low term, low duration, contract because it would really help us". "I know we've been giving out huge dollar and term contracts to the guys, but you're not really an important piece of the puzzle". Take this low ball offer and be happy". "Hell, maybe if you do continue to improve year over year, like you have been, someone else will give you a decent contract when we're done with you"?

I know it's tongue in cheek....but you get my drift.

His agent will be looking to get him full value, and I think he's better than everyone is giving him credit for. Sure McDavid helps the cause, but he has some really good hands around the net for a big man. Like, really good.

I think he can get 4 x $4.5mm on the open market. He's a big body with great hands that has a nose for the net.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
12mil over 4 years. Maybe bump him up to 3.5. Anything more you walk away.

Agreed. I think at 3.5 you have to cut a year though. Maroon's a solid player, but there are plenty of guys you could throw on McDavids wing making less than that who would score close to 20 goals. Maroon obviously brings some other things like size, physicality, puck protection and toughness, but if you threw someone like say Versteeg (or a similar type player that are often available on 1-2 year cheap deals) on his line I think he'd still score 20-25 goals. Obviously the line might not be as effective without the other attributes Maroon brings, but at some point you have to draw the line when cap crunching.

I'd love to have Maroon back for 3 or 4 more years, but won't lose any sleep over it if he's not.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think 3x3 would make sense for both sides. I know everyone in this thread is saying oh Maroon should go cash in big on the open market, but do people seriously think that some team is going to pay Maroon 5-6M for 5-6 years? Maroon would be lucky to get over 3-4 years of the open market given his skating ability and age, and don't think the entire league doesn't know that he is essentially the grunt and opportunist on McDavid's line. He's absolutely a valuable player to the Oilers much more than he would be to any other team.

At least with a 3x3 deal he keeps his scoring up and has the potential to get another contract when he's 33. If he signs elsewhere for say 4-4.5M x3-4 years I would not be surprised if he's out of the league after that contract.

Talk about extremes. It isn't 3x3 vs 5x5.

I think 4x4 is probably the middle ground here for both sides

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess I think more of Big Rig than you.

It's like you'd go into negotiations saying.....

"Listen Pat, we all know you aren't a very good player, everyone knows McDavid bounces pucks off you". "We want you to sign a low term, low duration, contract because it would really help us". "I know we've been giving out huge dollar and term contracts to the guys, but you're not really an important piece of the puzzle". Take this low ball offer and be happy". "Hell, maybe if you do continue to improve year over year, like you have been, someone else will give you a decent contract when we're done with you"?

I know it's tongue in cheek....but you get my drift.

His agent will be looking to get him full value, and I think he's better than everyone is giving him credit for. Sure McDavid helps the cause, but he has some really good hands around the net for a big man. Like, really good.

I think he can get 4 x $4.5mm on the open market. He's a big body with great hands that has a nose for the net.

I love Maroon and think he's a fantastic complimentary player to McDavid. I just also realize that for years Crosby has had these complimentary players play for cheaper prices to stay on his wing. For example, Kunitz before his decline was a much better player than Maroon. If Maroon is capable of 4.5M on the open market then Kunitz surely was worth 5.5-6M on the open market (or whatever that equivalent was 5 years ago relative to the cap).

I love patty and what he brings, but he simply can't be paid as a 4.5M player here imo. Its up to him if he likes the fit on the team because he will never produce like this any where else I can pretty much guarantee it. To some guys (evidenced with Crosby) team fit and getting top line minutes playing alongside a generational talent on a team thats going to be potential cup contenders is important to them. Whether or not a few extra million (which in reality is far less after taxes) is more important to Patty we will have to wait and see.

I don't disagree on your assessment of his skill set at all, I just don't think he'll be here after this year if he wants top UFA money.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

That just does not seem realistic that a 30 year old in 2018 would accept. 3 year deal that takes him to 33 and then tries to get another 3 year deal to age ,36.

Only way that makes any sense would be for the first 3 year deal to be big dollar money. Talking $5 million per. Cause the risk is too much to hope he is playing well enough at age 33 to warrant a deal similar to the one you are proposing in the $3 million range.

Is maroon going to get 6 years? Doubt it. Think he can either get 5 years in the $3.75 to $4 million per range or a 4 year deal in the $4.25 to $4.5 per range.

A player who can get term has to push for it, especially if they are 30 plus. Seen it plenty before with Ladd, backes, Eriksson, little, whomever. If you can get a deal that eats up age 33-36 you push for it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That just does not seem realistic that a 30 year old in 2018 would accept. 3 year deal that takes him to 33 and then tries to get another 3 year deal to age ,36.

Only way that makes any sense would be for the first 3 year deal to be big dollar money. Talking $5 million per. Cause the risk is too much to hope he is playing well enough at age 33 to warrant a deal similar to the one you are proposing in the $3 million range.

Is maroon going to get 6 years? Doubt it. Think he can either get 5 years in the $3.75 to $4 million per range or a 4 year deal in the $4.25 to $4.5 per range.

A player who can get term has to push for it, especially if they are 30 plus. Seen it plenty before with Ladd, backes, Eriksson, little, whomever. If you can get a deal that eats up age 33-36 you push for it.

Well all your comparables are completely different players. All of Ladd, Backes, Eriksson, and Little had 50-60+ point seasons consistently without playing with Connor McDavid. Maroon hasn't even hit 50 so he's really not in that category of player. Kunitz for example signed a 2 year deal at 32, and 4 year at 28. I don't think its out of the question that Maroon might look at a 3-4 year deal in Edmonton at 3-3.5. Maybe he won't, only Maroon himself knows how important it is to make a little more money vs. playing a prominent role on a good team with an exceptional talent.

I don't think GMs around the league are as oblivious as many here seem to think they are. You'd have to be an idiot to think that Maroon is worth north of 4M if he's not playing alongside Connor McDavid.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Term is going to be a sticking point and rightfully so. Maroon's a pro athlete, sure, but they all have expiration dates- especially when you consider his style of play.

Me, personally, I'd offer 4 years structured 5, 4, 4, 3. That big-dollar first year allows him to set up shop in Edmonton- important as much for his son as it would be for Maroon. If that wasn't enough or if he was pushing for a 5th year, I'd add in a $1M signing bonus due immediately so he can further establish a home base for Big Rig Jr. That only affects the cap hit by a small margin ($4.25M) but should offer enough of a short-term benefit to keep the term at four years.

I don't think GMs around the league are as oblivious as many here seem to think they are. You'd have to be an idiot to think that Maroon is worth north of 4M if he's not playing alongside Connor McDavid.

Fortunately for Maroon and unfortunately for the Oilers, there are at least a handful of morons among the GM ranks every year. I swear that there are actually more now than ever before thanks to the rapid proliferation of former players into the management ranks. One of them will see 6'3 230 lbs, 30 (probable) goals and ~100 PIM and back up the Brinks truck.

Feb 24, 2017
You guys should be grateful if he’s willing to take less than Drysteel. They both got here the same way. “Ba da ba ba baaaa mcdavidâ€

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
You guys should be grateful if heÂ’s willing to take less than Drysteel. They both got here the same way. “Ba da ba ba baaaa mcdavidÂâ€

I couldn't have asked for a better poster reply right after me, given the namesake of your account is exactly the kind of mental midget I can see throwing $5M+ at Maroon with the belief that Horvat and Boeser can be equally as effective linemates.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
former mediocre goal scorer and point producer and one dimensional Patrick Eaves got 3 years, 9+ mil so i'm going to guess 3 or 4 years at about 3 or 3.5? but knowing Chia and his overpaying i'd guess 4 mil/per.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
former mediocre goal scorer and point producer and one dimensional Patrick Eaves got 3 years, 9+ mil so i'm going to guess 3 or 4 years at about 3 or 3.5? but knowing Chia and his overpaying i'd guess 4 mil/per.
Eaves is actually a lot better at hockey - his entire career has been ruined by injuries.

It's a risk no doubt.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
My guess is 4.25X5. Front loaded as possible.

Oilers cave with the extra year, Beles....sorry, Maroon cuts his contract demands to make it palatable for the Oil.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My guess is 4.25X5. Front loaded as possible.

Oilers cave with the extra year, Beles....sorry, Maroon cuts his contract demands to make it palatable for the Oil.

I don't see us giving Maroon 4 AAV or more. Really, 3.5 is likely the high end. We'd rather convert Slepyshev to LW or move up Caggiula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad