Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
They way they hand out assists at Leaf home games I am not surprised he doesn't have more
So if I'm reading this right, you believe Toronto stat trackers are arbitrarily handing out assists to Marner that he doesn't deserve? Please reply with a Yes or No.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Just because something is more rare does not make it better, hence Marner being a better player than Laine. 39 points to 24 and Laine had 5 goals in one game. Marner is a much better possession and defensive player too, it's really not that close between them at the moment. In the future I think Laine will be a beast at his peak and possibly better than Marner, but right now I would not be happy if we traded Marner for Laine, put it that way.

Last season Laine all put up 44goals and 70pts to Marners 22goals and 69 points while being a year older. 30 games now really going to make the difference despite Laine being a noticeably better player until then?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I'd give the edge to Marner at the moment, they're both superstar young players and the comparison is really mostly comparing apples with oranges.

I don't even think Jets fans cared that much back then, it was mostly a Finnish vs Leafs fans thing. But yeah, it was ridiculous back then and has been ever since :laugh:

To be fair, that's very very true. That added so much more fuel to the fire lol.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Laine is such an enigma. He's the best shooter in the world, but the rest of the game is barely even NHL caliber.

Marner is one of the best offensive drivers in the world, it's him easily. He's right there with Gaudreau as the new Patty Kane, but is better defensively than either of those guys.
Where does this crap come from? Barely NHL calibre my ass. You don't score the most goals in the league over your first 2.33 season if you can't play everywhere

Last edited by a moderator:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Last season Laine all put up 44goals and 70pts to Marners 22goals and 69 points while being a year older. 30 games now really going to make the difference despite Laine being a noticeably better player until then?
Marner is older than Laine. And smaller guy takes shorter time grow in to their body.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I wish there was a way to filter posts in these threads by fanbase.

I could filter out Leafs fans and Jets fans, and get a view of a "somewhat" unbiased view.

Although that would take out 7 out of the 10 pages.

If you excluded Jets and Leafs fans, you'd get only opinions from people who rarely watch the player and likely have not much of a clue about them other than the stereotypes.

It would be an unbiased view, but it would also be an ignorant view for most.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Embarrassing. Laine scored more goals as a 19 year old than Neal has in his career.

Pathetic post.

He's not even a point-per-game player and is a passenger, comparing Laine to Alexander Ovechkin is less accurate than to James Neal.

Though I mean a prime Neal, the 40g Neal.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If you excluded Jets and Leafs fans, you'd get only opinions from people who rarely watch the player and likely have not much of a clue about them other than the stereotypes.

It would be an unbiased view, but it would also be an ignorant view for most.
I agree with this. People act like ignorance is better than bias, when it's actually the opposite

Reactions: Psych0dad

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
And Marner is about to have more assists than Backstrom ever had playing with the best goal scorer of all time.
Backstrom had 68 assists and 101 points in a season, Marner might pass the assists but he won't pass the points this season. Comparing Marner to Backstorm isn't an insult at all and quite frankly at this point Marner isn't better than Backstrom was at his peak. Marner's assists will come down when his 14% OIS% normalizes, still has a good chance to be near the top of the league but he's not going to finish with over an assist per game.

Laine's better now than Neal ever was.

Mar 26, 2010
Depends on what you are looking for. If you Are looking for a elite shooter, then your man is Laine. If you are looking for a dynamic playmaking guy that makes everyone around him better, Marner is your man.

Both are elite young stars in the NHL.

Reactions: Lovedemfanboys

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He's not even a point-per-game player and is a passenger, comparing Laine to Alexander Ovechkin is less accurate than to James Neal.

Though I mean a prime Neal, the 40g Neal.
A passenger, you guys are pathetic. Leading the league in goals since he entered the league but is a passenger.

I don't know why people can't just accept that he is an elite player despite his deficiencies. Nobody is in here saying Marner is a bad player, yet you have people scoffing at being compared to Nicklas Backstrom.

Laine isn't as complete of a player offensively as OV was, but he is nearly as good of a goalscorer at the same age, you know, the most important part of hockey.

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere so I'm out of this thread.

Reactions: Psych0dad

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Laine was better, 1 more point is not a huge gap even though that goal total added to it, Marner was already the better all around player last season. This year it's clear Marner has reached another level, he is a two-way beast who dominates every game situation, he's far closer to Matthews right now than he is to Laine at the game of ice hockey sorry to say.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
This thread sure lived up to what I thought it be before I came in. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Matthews vs Laine.

That finally got dropped (and rightfully so).

Last I checked both are still actively playing hockey, so we will see how they progress. Maybe you have "dropped it" but they certainly haven't. Future will tell who emerges as the better one. My money is on Laine, but Matthews is the biggest competition for him. Both will be top 3 players in the league.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Last I checked both are still actively playing hockey, so we will see how they progress. Maybe you have "dropped it" but they certainly haven't. Future will tell who emerges as the better one. My money is on Laine, but Matthews is the biggest competition for him. Both will be top 3 players in the league.

Yes we all got that much by now :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad