Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Last I checked both are still actively playing hockey, so we will see how they progress. Maybe you have "dropped it" but they certainly haven't. Future will tell who emerges as the better one. My money is on Laine, but Matthews is the biggest competition for him. Both will be top 3 players in the league.

your money is on laine? no kidding.

and there is no "they".

don't kid yourself.

Laine and Matthews don't give a rats ass about anything except getting paid.

they are coworkers.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Last I checked both are still actively playing hockey, so we will see how they progress. Maybe you have "dropped it" but they certainly haven't. Future will tell who emerges as the better one. My money is on Laine, but Matthews is the biggest competition for him. Both will be top 3 players in the league.
McDavid and Matthews will be the biggest competition for Laine. My money is on Laine scoring more goals.

Reactions: Psych0dad

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Backstrom had 68 assists and 101 points in a season, Marner might pass the assists but he won't pass the points this season. Comparing Marner to Backstorm isn't an insult at all and quite frankly at this point Marner isn't better than Backstrom was at his peak. Marner's assists will come down when his 14% OIS% normalizes, still has a good chance to be near the top of the league but he's not going to finish with over an assist per game.

Laine's better now than Neal ever was.

Yeah I get that, either way one guy is much better than the other right now.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Very different players so impossible to compare. If I was a fan of the Jets, I'd say pass. As a Leafs fan, I say pass. Sometimes you gotta roll with what you have and I think both teams should be ecstatic with these two amazing young players.

I'll say again, I don't remember the last time the league had such an influx of so many incredible young talents. It's a great time to be a fan.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
A passenger, you guys are pathetic. Leading the league in goals since he entered the league but is a passenger.

I don't know why people can't just accept that he is an elite player despite his deficiencies. Nobody is in here saying Marner is a bad player, yet you have people scoffing at being compared to Nicklas Backstrom.

Laine isn't as complete of a player offensively as OV was, but he is nearly as good of a goalscorer at the same age, you know, the most important part of hockey.

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere so I'm out of this thread.

Well actually a Jets fan literally called Marner a scrub within the last couple pages, lol.

Laine is an elite sniper, but he's also heavily reliant on teammates to get him the puck that he uses to score his goals. Marner, a driver, doesnt rely on anyone else for his offense - he gets his pucks, he's the one who opens up the ice, he's the one drawing in players to him then dish to the (Laine) who can score the goal.

Laine has terrific bursts of elite offense, but then the rest of the time he's lazy and predictable. Kinda like prime Neal, who also was a passenger. The point is that without the driver Laine never has the puck to even do his thing (outside of those offensive bursts), while Marner has for the last 3 seasons set career highs for his Centres (on pace for with JT) because he makes everyone around him better.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
What about defense. Also, do you think scoring can happen without passing?

I start liking Toronto/Marner fans. I mean I never laughed that much before as I did reading this^. They finally got the idea that Marner vs Laine is way too unfair to Marner. Cause he is gonna lose badly. Like 21 to 6 badly.

Now they are trying to make it a bit more fair. Ok if you want defense, lets put Marner + say Zaitsev on ice vs Laine. But in this case someone has to rename this topic into "Marner+Zaitsev vs Laine".

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews.

That's like saying McDavid or Laine.

Marner and Laine are elite wingers...but aren't drivers like Matthews or McDavid.
Marner is a driver! Hardcore driver, one of the very best, if not the best play making W in the league.

Lovedemfanboys

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you are looking for. If you Are looking for a elite shooter, then your man is Laine. If you are looking for a dynamic playmaking guy that makes everyone around him better, Marner is your man.

Both are elite young stars in the NHL.

This is the correct answer. This really depends on your team's needs And it is oddly amusing to read psychodaddy going psycho and the kids spamming "excuseee":popcorn:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
By saying Matthews drives a line more than Marner?

Ok.

Honestly, he might be better than Matthews at it. They both drive offense but Marner does it by making everyone else better, Matty just does it all himself.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
I start liking Toronto/Marner fans. I mean I never laughed that much before as I did reading this^. They finally got the idea that Marner vs Laine is way too unfair to Marner. Cause he is gonna lose badly. Like 21 to 6 badly.

Now they are trying to make it a bit more fair. Ok if you want defense, lets put Marner + say Zaitsev on ice vs Laine. But in this case someone has to rename this topic into "Marner+Zaitsev vs Laine".

:skeptic:

Wow... You completely missed the point here.

Marner is better defensively. I wasn't referring to adding a defenseman... Ugh..

Please stop embarrassing yourself further. Thanks.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
:skeptic:

Wow... You completely missed the point here.

Marner is better defensively. I wasn't referring to adding a defenseman :laugh:

No I did not miss anything. I correctly read your embarrassing opinion about Marner being better defensively than an NHL defenseman + an NHL goalie. Who are usually on ice against Laine when he scores his goals.

I simply tried to avoid a clearly unfair case of Marner+Zaitsev+Andersen vs Laine. That would be too obvious even for you.

Last edited:

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
No I did not miss anything. I correctly read your embarrassing opinion about Marner being better defensively than an NHL defenseman + an NHL goalie. Who are usually on ice against Laine when he scores his goals.

I simply tried to avoid a clearly unfair case of Marner+Zaitsev+Andersen vs Laine. That would be too obvious even for you.

That's not what I said at all.

You said all that matters in hockey is goals. I said defence matters and also passing is required in order to score goals. Marner is better than Laine in those areas.

Get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad