Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Marner. Laine's goal scoring is elite, especially on powerplay, but he can't play defense and doesn't drive a line. Marner on the otherhand is an elite playmaker at both evens and the powerplay, but also is very good defensively and drives whatever line he is on to more success. It can be a bit team-dependent but for Montreal who doesn't necessarily need playmaking vs goalscoring it's easy to go with the better overall player in Marner

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Goals are worth their weight in gold but Marner is a well-rounded player with excellent playmaking ability.

For now Marner but wouldn't surprise me one bit if Laine starts dominating (beyond goalscoring) in 2-3 years.

Reactions: jetsforever

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Yeah but which one brings more value to his team? Maybe that depends on the team and what it has or hasn't?

You answered your own question. For Edmonton the answer is Laine easily, no one on this team can one time a puck or shoot to score. People getting set up by Draisaitl and McDavid all day long but no one can finish, Marner would just lead to even more over passing (Not meant as a sleight). If I was a team that lacked offensive creativity and playmaking ability I take Marner very easily.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I like Marner, he’s a great player and annoying to play against. Patty all day for me though. Goalscorers like him don’t come around often enough, and he’s got lots of time to mature and grow into a more complete player.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Depends on team needs. Even so, hard to pass on someone who might become a generational goal scorer. Both are great, though.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I would take marner - with that said the way Toronto is built marner fits better but the way Winnipeg is built laine may be better.

Winnipeg has a lot of players that strengths are passing and puck carrying such as wheeler and connor, it's hard to notice laine as much when he's not given that role. We'll see how he develops. He's one of the most intriguing players ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad