Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I said at all.
Too late for that. I quoted all your posts to me.

You said all that matters in hockey is goals.

That's what I actually said:

"But if someone really wants to compare a scorer and a playmaker I have a bad news for him/her - to win a hockey game you need to score goals and you dont need assists at all." (c) Hint1k

And this is a link your own post where you quoted exactly this^:
Marner or Laine?

You have troubles with reading and writing. I get it. Not a problem. That's what forums for.

I said defence matters and also passing is required in order to score goals. Marner is better than Laine in those areas.

There are actual NHL defensemen and actual NHL goalies can't stop Laine. They are 100 times better defensively than Marner ever can be. Unless of cause you want another embarrassing topic: "Marner vs say Lidstrom - who is better defenseman"?

Sure defense and passing matters. As well as watching TV matters. But you can survive without watching TV and you can win a hockey game with zero assists and bad defense.

So if you want to compare what is more important for a forward, then it is goals>>assists>>defense.

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Marner needs elite C Tavares to go ppg. He does not drive ****, he feeds off of great players like everyone else, good or bad.

I wanna see Patty play with an elite playmaker 5v5 like we are seeing Marner play with an elite scorer. Ya'll lying to yourselves.
I believe Marner has 100 pts in his last 80 games (or something like that), most of which were without Tavares, and with either Bozak or Kadri as his C, so no he doesn't need an elite scorer.

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
To me it seems like Laine is uninterested when he's not having a good game. Currently I take Marner, simply because he makes others better around him.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I believe Marner has 100 pts in his last 80 games (or something like that), most of which were without Tavares, and with either Bozak or Kadri as his C, so no he doesn't need an elite scorer.
91 (or that's what i counted, guy below says 89) in his last 82 and 39 of those came with Tavares in 28 games. So that's What are you trying to do here, somehow prove that Marner does not benefit like crazy from having Tavares with him, just like Rantanen and MacKinnon or any other elite players playing on the same line benefit?

Pretty sick of Toronto players getting painted as gods on skates. Elite players are all over the league, you got some too, congrats.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
This is why it's impossible to talk Laine with you.
Never on Laine, always the linemates.

He was damm 45 points short off 115. Nobody hit 115 last season.

He missed every prediction he had. Psycho was claiming 85g and 160pts for patty this season. Instead hes re appeared but with the looong list of excuses for patty. Sorry psychodad, the Cap and the franchise 55 want no part of laine 5v5 that's why he isnt with them.

There's a reason Psychodad wouldnt back up his guesses with his wallet, he never believed those predictions either.

Laine can whine and cry about his linemates but it doesnt change the fact patty is nowhere near the top of the totem pole in Wpg and never will be. I suspect patty and his submissive attitude will fall in line as he should.

Last edited:

DavidRobot

Feb 24, 2014
Laine easily. Been in top 10 scoring for the past 3 years. There's very few other players you can say that about.

Marner's had a good season this year, but until he can prove he can sustain this pace he's still a tier below Laine.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner is the most overrated player in the league.
Laine just isn't very good
upload_2018-12-6_18-26-8.png

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
For how many games did he score on that pace then? 20?

season is 82 games long. Many players can score on a +90 point pace in a span of 20 games.
I believe his last 82 regular season games played amount to 92 points

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Too late for that. I quoted all your posts to me.

That's what I actually said:

"But if someone really wants to compare a scorer and a playmaker I have a bad news for him/her - to win a hockey game you need to score goals and you dont need assists at all." (c) Hint1k

And this is a link your own post where you quoted exactly this^:
Marner or Laine?

You have troubles with reading and writing. I get it. Not a problem. That's what forums for.

There are actual NHL defensemen and actual NHL goalies can't stop Laine. They are 100 times better defensively than Marner ever can be. Unless of cause you want another embarrassing topic: "Marner vs say Lidstrom - who is better defenseman"?

Sure defense and passing matters. As well as watching TV matters. But you can survive without watching TV and you can win a hockey game with zero assists and bad defense.

So if you want to compare what is more important for a forward, then it is goals>>assists>>defense.

Since you have all my quotes why don't you pull the quote where I said Marner is "better defensively than a defenceman plus a goalie". Oh having trouble? That's because I never did.

And just because Laine is a better goal scorer does not mean Marner is incomparable. There are other aspects of the game and overall Marner is a better player. If you look at the other replies, most would agree.

The fact is, if I were to build a team from scratch I would take Marner. It's fine that you have a different opinion but you're wrong that the two players can't be compared.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Quick question - if Laine is better than Marner and Scheifele is close to AM and Wheeler is way better than Nylander and Little is close to Kadri and Trouba is close to Rielly and Buff and Morrissey are way ahead of Leaf defencemen....etc

Why are we still better than Winnipeg?

We apparently legitimately have no players that ever win a comparison in the eyes of Winnipeg fans. Yet here we are, right at the top with them.

Maybe, just maybe, we aren’t overrating some of our players and they actually are good.
Yah, the teams are pretty close.
Are you really that much better than Winnipeg?
As of this writing Toronto is a whole 4 points ahead
of Winnipeg having played one more game.
It's still early.

I think both teams will do well. I still think Toronto's defence and Anderson could hit a rut
at some point like most teams including Winnipeg.
Let's see what happens.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Leafs and Jets have something in common: their weaknesses on defense are compensated by insane forward depth. You can put any line out there and they are quick on their feet and a threat to score.

As for this thread: Marner is probably the objectively right choice at the moment, but give Laine another year to catch up and who knows. Players that score 50 - 70 goals aren't very common and Laine is trending that way.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Thats more about you underrating Marner.

Backstrom vs James Neal, for me.

Absolutely not. I've seen a lot of Marner both in Toronto and while representing Canada. He is an elite player already and hasn't even reached his full potential yet. But I do believe that it is harder to find a sniper like Laine than a playmaker like Marner.

Hahaha come on man that's just plain stupid. Neal is in no shape or form comparable to Laine. He scored 40 goals once, while playing with a smoking hot Malkin. Laine plays with Little. Bryan Little. Little as in little talent.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
He literally said "I believe" and "or something like that". Does it really seem like he was trying to pass those numbers off as concrete?
Lol, please. If I was (unfortunately) in an Eichel v Matthews debate and claimed that "I believe" Eichel has 100 points in his last 80 games would you just let it slide because hey, I said "I believe"?

Just stop.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Depends on the team.

If you're Toronto and you have a scorer like Matthews, you take Marner.

If you're Edmonton and you have a playmaker like McDavid, you take Laine.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Laine of course. He is one of a kind and very rare. There are plenty of players like Marner. So if you wanna get goals and win take Hatrik L.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Oh man, that was hilarious.

The Leafs absolutely stomped on them. And what do you know? Marner dominated that game too.

@Ippenator

There is your high IQ player.. Just like on the PP a few games back. Laine stood there like an idiot when he could have supported his teammate and easily won the puck battle if he was capable of processing the game fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad