Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Lol. Cool. Your goal scorer is generational? We got one too. Twice in a generation lol

Generational is not a literal term meaning there is a maximum of one 'per generation'. It's very common for talents to play during the same time. Sid/Ovi, Lemieux/Jagr/Yzerman etc.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I have no problem saying that Laine has the best shot arsenal in NHL history.

For starters, all of his shots are elite.

Second, he's 6"5 so the angles he has available to him are insane, and credit to him for being able to use that.

Finally, he can score 10 feet back from other elite scorers like it's nothing.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Generational is not a literal term meaning there is a maximum of one 'per generation'. It's very common for talents to play during the same time. Sid/Ovi, Lemieux/Jagr/Yzerman etc.
No. Generational is a literal term.That's why you don't throw generational around. Theres generational....then everyone else. Be at least the best in your draft year if you want to label people as generational.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Fun fact, Marner is riding a 14% OISH% (4% above his career average) and Laine currently has a 9.6 OIS% (2.1% below his career average). This will explain part of the reason for Laine's lack of assists and Marner's very high amount (although obviously Marner will always have a lot more as he is a playmaker).

This isn’t a fair thing to note about either player as they are young and only getting better every game. Their career averages will only be getting better and better each season.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
It's bad because one of them was previously banned and he's somehow allowed back. This is his modus operandi. He just picks his spots, and argues incessantly with red herrings until the other party gives up. He disappeared after Matthews won the Calder and made the same excuses. He's been making these same excuses for two going on three years now, and it's just hilarious to me.

So why bother giving him anything but reminding him that he's the same excuse making machine during the 2016 season?

This thread sucks because of posters like him.

personally, I don't even think the thread should have been started.

there is no Marner or Laine.

Just asking about it is going to create arguments, with the winners coming out of the woodwork. Yes, I noticed when Laine wasn't scoring, certain members were MIA. They quickly came back.

Many of them are my fellow countryman....but I struggle with who is more annoying...the Finn fluffers or the Leafs fans....

Reactions: hockeeyyy

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
personally, I don't even think the thread should have been started.

there is no Marner or Laine.

Just asking about it is going to create arguements, with the winners come out of the woodwork. Yes, I noticed when Laine wasn't scoring, certain members were MIA. They quickly came back.

Many of them are my fellow countryman....but I strive to find who is more annoying...the Finn fluffers or the Leafs fans....
If there was a reasonable way to present this topic, it stopped the second people got defensive about their favourite player not being unanimously rated as the best.

We all have biases. But some people are absolutely toxic about their biases and have no problem sharing it.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If there was a reasonable way to present this topic, it stopped the second people got defensive about their favourite player not being unanimously rated as the best.

We all have biases. But some people are absolutely toxic about their biases and have no problem sharing it.
And you seriously feel like you've been the rational one in this thread? With such great arguments and responses as;

More excuses.

Even more excuses.

Whew, all these excuses. How do you carry them all?

I don't know what this has to do with the discussion in this thread, but I do know the Leafs indisputably dominated the Jets in back to back on the back of Marner while Laine was a no show.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I wish there was a way to filter posts in these threads by fanbase.

I could filter out Leafs fans and Jets fans, and get a view of a "somewhat" unbiased view.

Although that would take out 7 out of the 10 pages.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Might want to check psychodad’s post history then. He’s not worth debating with.

and yet so many do.

I think 75% of the time he is just saying stuff to get people going...

He's sitting in a basement somewhere laughing at all the people he triggers.

Great sense of humor though! I enjoy reading his posts.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
In your dreams, he's no where near Marner, Some of you have real difficulty admitting it. Marner at present time is inching to McDavid level. Laine no where near that!!!

Some of you really make me laugh open your eyes to the truth.

You mean in your dreams? Cause in the real world if you put Laine and Marner on ice one-on-one. Laine wins it 21 to 6. The only way you can make Marner a better player if you put him on ice together with say Tavares. Then sure thing Marner+Tavares is better than Laine.

I mean I've seen plenty of BS about Crosby being a better player than Ovechkin. But at least Crosby fans have a point. Cause Crosby is the 2nd best player in the world. It is fair to compare the 2nd best player with the best player. It is not that big of a stretch. They are in the same tier at least.

But it is absolutely ridiculous idea to compare the best player of this season (the best for the moment obviously) with some scrub who scored 6 goals.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This isn’t a fair thing to note about either player as they are young and only getting better every game. Their career averages will only be getting better and better each season.
OIS% does not increase year by year as you get older, it is very unlikely Marner maintains the percentage he has now for the rest of even the season, never mind his career. You can maintain a higher than average percentage but there is only so much control over it one person can have.

Anyway, they're both great players despite being very different.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
But it is absolutely ridiculous idea to compare the best player of this season (the best for the moment obviously) with some scrub who scored 6 goals.

just so I have this right Laine is the best player in the league this season and Marner is a scrub? That's what we're going with here?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad