Marner or Draisaitl

Better player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That’s because that’s when Marner eventually developed into a player who is constantly creating offensive chances.

He’s so good at this that even when he gets a a superstar on his line, or plays on a PP with multiple superstars he’s still the one deferred to to be the architect.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Really? Because actual stats wise he was nowhere near that. It’s very easy to throw out a bunch of “paces”, especially when you’re using a small sample size.
Just looked. Marner played at a 93 point pace for the final 30 games. 34 points in 30 games. So he was still putting up very respectable numbers without Tavares as his C.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Mar 26, 2010
That’s because that’s when Marner eventually developed into a player who is constantly creating offensive chances.

He’s so good at this that even when he gets a a superstar on his line, or plays on a PP with multiple superstars he’s still the one deferred to to be the architect.
Marner is the bigger superstar, than the ones he plays with.

The kid is money.

Reactions: koyvoo

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just looked. Marner played at a 93 point pace for the final 30 games. 34 points in 30 games. So he was still putting up very respectable numbers without Tavares as his C.
Marner also had respectable 19 goals and 61 points in his rookie season when he played the whole time with Bozak and JVR. If it was not for Matthews and Laine being rookie that same season, chances are Marner would be a finalist for the Calder instead of finishing 5th in the voting.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Toss up. really like both players. Marner is the more dynamic player imo so I would go with him. Cant really compare contracts as we don't know what Marner is going to sign and for how long.

Mar 26, 2010
So you expect Marner to play the whole PK? Haha. Anyways, how do you think JVR and Bozak got paid this summer? Marner drove that line last year and uplifted both those guys or is Bozak an elite centre now?
They both owe Marner for their current contracts.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Oilers (and huge Draisaitl fan) voting Marner. That kid is magic.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Its been interesting to watch this thread age. Pretty even at first, then Marner went on a hot streak and took a huge lead. Now its Draisaitl on the hot streak.

I don't think anyone predicted that they both have a very realistic shot at finishing top 10 in the points race.

I like Draisaitl more here because of the significant difference in goals, but Marner's been nothing short of impressive.

Reactions: 780il

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Love how some feel Leon relies on McDavid but MM is a driver all by himself. Checked who he plays most of the time with and no, he does not drive his line

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Love how some feel Leon relies on McDavid but MM is a driver all by himself. Checked who he plays most of the time with and no, he does not drive his line
Yea it's really a tired narrative. Honestly, they have both proven they are legitimate top line elite centers. I went with Drai just because of his goal scoring ability.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
that's how you evaluate, by checking online, not by watching the players?

Marner drives his line every single shift of every game, if you tried watching you would see that.

I voted marner when the poll started, draisaitl is really proving himself to be a high end finisher, I'm quite impressed by his play this year, particularly away from Mcdavid when he gets those opportunities. Great for German hockey moving forward.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
that's how you evaluate, by checking online, not by watching the players?

Marner drives his line every single shift of every game, if you tried watching you would see that.

I voted marner when the poll started, draisaitl is really proving himself to be a high end finisher, I'm quite impressed by his play this year, particularly away from Mcdavid when he gets those opportunities. Great for German hockey moving forward.
The only wrong answer is someone who says ainec.

Both these players are studs.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am not gonna vote on this, because I have seen almost every game Draisaitl has played in the NHL, as well as most of his games for Germany and some back in junors in Germany (I could not watch him in the WHL), but i have seen only a small number of games and various highlight videos from Marner, so I cannot really say which one is better. Based on what I have seen, I might lean slightly towards Marner, but this could be skewed a bit, since some of it is based on highlight videos and those are obviously not nearly as informative as full games, where you watch every shift.

I'd guess both teams and both fanbases are really happy with their guy.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If you think John Tavares drives thst line, or has more influence on Marner’s point production than the other way around, then you need to watch half a game and your mind would change. John Tavares has literally turned himself into the ultimate poacher this dragon, and he’s so good at it that it definitely helps Marner’s totals more than if he played with Joe Scrub, but it’s definitely Marner who at a minimum of 9 shifts out 10 is the catalyst.

It’s not only his line, it’s the entire PP1. Marner is the architect and engine there too. Literally, their PP plan is constantly giving Marner the puck over and over again for him to dictate and decide who or what the next best option is. It’s been easily over 100 games now that he’s been the leafs best, most influential and most dependable player by s fair margin.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Draisaitl for me. Look at what Dri does playing with the garbage he plays with on most nights. Imagine what he could do with the players Marner gets to play with night in and night out.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Draisaitl for me. Look at what Dri does playing with the garbage he plays with on most nights. Imagine what he could do with the players Marner gets to play with night in and night out.

Yeah, that Connor McDavid guy is pure garbage huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad