Better player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Because of the contract he earned. If he cost 2 million like Hyman they would have been all over him.

Doubtful, I'll take Johnsson over him any day btw. Already having a better season than him at no where near the cost and actually brings other elements to the game.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
What? You used one playoff run for Draisatl to make the argument that he’s been better than Matthews who’s been on multiple ones.

I used the Letestu run to counter your Drai run considering they were all on the Oilers for that run. You dislike it because it makes your sample size argument null and void considering Mark Letestu is no where near McDavid but on that playoff run was actually better. Thus your Matthews/Drai comparison has zero legs as well.
It may seem as if I used one sample size. Hovever, in reality I used to the players full career playoff stats.

McDavid has performed better than Letestu in their careers. To add on, over the past three seasons, Matthews and Draisaitl almost have the same PPG in the regular season.

You are the once choosing which seasons to look at to support your argument.

Why did you look at two for Matthews?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It may seem as if I used one sample size. Hovever, in reality I used to the players full career playoff stats.

McDavid has performed better than Letestu in their careers. To add on, over the past three seasons, Matthews and Draisaitl almost have the same PPG in the regular season.

You are the once choosing which seasons to look at to support your argument.

Why did you look at two for Matthews?

Because he actually has two...if you just want to focus on the first one, he's a better playoff performer than McDavid lol. Heck a ton of players have better playoff stats than McDavid....are they better or his equal?

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is looking like he might be one the very best in the NHL.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Marner. Draisaitl is like a 50 point centre when not stuck to McDavid.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Marner. Draisaitl is like a 50 point centre when not stuck to McDavid.
Do you really believe that Draisaitl has not improved over the course of the last three seasons? To add on, Marner was unable to crack 70 points until John Tavares joined the team.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Do you really believe that Draisaitl has not improved over the course of the last three seasons? To add on, Marner was unable to crack 70 points until John Tavares joined the team.
Umm, you mean the season when Marner played half the season on the third and fourth lines?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Drai fills a bigger need and will be cheaper.

marners contract will be about the same cap % as draisaitls when they signed.
draisaitl was coming off his elc with 77pts, marner probably hits 100

"fills a bigger need" nah, with marner on the oil mcdavid would have 50g/150pts and mitch would have 40g/140pts ha

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Do people really believe this? Or is this just another way to say "I think my player is better, so I'll exaggerate a bit to make my point"?
In McDavid's rookie season when he got injured and missed 45 games, that same season in 72 games Draisaitl only managed 51 total points. So in my opinion it's one major example where Draisaitl did not score as many points without ridding shotgun with McDavid.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
marners contract will be about the same cap % as draisaitls when they signed.
draisaitl was coming off his elc with 77pts, marner probably hits 100

"fills a bigger need" nah, with marner on the oil mcdavid would have 50g/150pts and mitch would have 40g/140pts ha
You are just spewing bs. You have no idea how they’d do. Even if you could, it makes no sense. McDavid could hit 50 goals this year regardless, and Draisaitl is the better goal scorer, so how is trading Marner for Draisaitl going to increase McDavids assists?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In McDavid's rookie season when he got injured and missed 45 games, that same season in 72 games Draisaitl only managed 51 total points. So in my opinion it's one major example where Draisaitl did not score as many points without ridding shotgun with McDavid.

So you're using what was essentially Draisaitl's rookie season (first full season, if we want to get technical, as he played 37 games prior before being sent back to junior) where he scored 51 points as proof he can't score much without McDavid?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So you're using what was essentially Draisaitl's rookie season (first full season, if we want to get technical, as he played 37 games prior before being sent back to junior) where he scored 51 points as proof he can't score much without McDavid?
So how else do you explain Draisaitl getting 77 points next season when he played the majority of games ridding shotgun on McDavid's line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So how else do you explain Draisaitl getting 77 points next season when he played the majority of games ridding shotgun on McDavid's line.

I mean, that's like concluding the only reason Marner jumped from a 60 point player to a potential 100 point player is because of Tavares joining his line. How else do you explain Marner on pace for near 100 points this year after only score 69 or less the previous two without Tavares?

In other words, you're not accounting for a player's actual growth after his first year or two in the league.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, that's like concluding the only reason Marner jumped from a 60 point player to a potential 100 point player is because of Tavares joining his line. How else do you explain Marner on pace for near 100 points this year after only score 69 or less the previous two without Tavares?

In other words, you're not accounting for a player's actual growth after his first year or two in the league.
Obviously we won't know what Marner's next contract will look like, but would you not agree that the Oilers overpaid for Draisaitl based on 1 great season playing with McDavid?

I also realize the OHL is nothing like the NHL but at that level in Marner's draft season he was 2nd in scoring and in his final season he was 3rd in scoring. So Marner has a history of scoring goals and getting total points and he was the leader of his line on the Knights with Tkachuk and Dvorak.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Obviously we won't know what Marner's next contract will look like, but would you not agree that the Oilers overpaid for Draisaitl based on 1 great season playing with McDavid?

I also realize the OHL is nothing like the NHL but at that level in Marner's draft season he was 2nd in scoring and in his final season he was 3rd in scoring. So Marner has a history of scoring goals and getting total points and he was the leader of his line on the Knights with Tkachuk and Dvorak.
In his draft year Draisaitl outscored the next highest scoring forward on his team by 44 points...

Draisaitl won the WHL and Memorial Cup MVP Trophies in his final year of junior.

So, his junior resume is every bit as good as Marner's wouldn't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad