Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn’t say no referee is biased but on the whole they’re definitely not biased and there’s no agenda.
Yeah, well certain guys will be partial to certain play types. Some may let more roughing go than others, for example..

...but as long as they’re consistent, that’s all you ask for.

The idea that the referees are trying to sabotage the Leafs couldn’t be more ridiculous.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
If it's any consolation for anyone here, the fans really gave it to the refs after the game, tossing beer/ bottles at them as they skated off. Felt a bit like MSG or the Boston Gardens

If the team and coach don't have a mean streak maybe the fans can get one. :laugh:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I thought Spezza had a few decent moments but at this point he’s a fourth liner for them and one Babcock doesn’t trust at all and Spezza knows it. He took a shot on an odd man rush tonight when Rielly was wide open and would basically have had an open net. I have a hard time believing that a guy who has been a playmaker in the league for as long as Spezza has didn’t know he was there. Obviously, it’s easier to see plays like that on tv but it was obvious enough that I was surprised they didn’t bring it up during the intermission. Looked to me like he forced the shot because he thinks he needs to score enough goals that Babcock can’t take him out of the lineup.

Babcock is in his head. He wants no flash from his 4th line. Just simple houseleague hockey. If Spezza makes the right play and passes that puck to Rielly it may have resulted in a goal. He makes that pass and it gets intercepted leading to an odd man rush the other way. Guaranteed back to the press box. He did what Babs wants him to do.

I have always been a creative player. Plays just happen. The minute you think too much the opportunity has already passed you bye

Reactions: StatsNightHeroes

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
You’re completely out to lunch. No referee is biased against the Leafs.

The refs certainly have in the last couple of years when the Leafs started becoming very good...the Leafs are one of the teams that draw the least number of penalties despite being one of the fastest teams in the league...and it's continuing right where it has left off again this year...let's hope the future of gambling in the NHL will straighten these refs out because the big businesses won't stand for it.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Apparently the penalty shot was on the stick to the hands. Find that hard to believe they called THAT a penalty shot. Awful.
Okay, the NHL is absolutely getting their refs from the same place the NFL is. Either that or the refs in all pro leagues go to the same "make up some bullshit call to cover your failure to see the play" school of ass-covering...

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I am no fan of NHL refereeing. I think that they should call consistently no matter when the game occurs (regular season and playoffs). No matter when it is during a game (first period should be no different than third or OT). I don't think that referees should be trying to even up calls.

Having said that I am not a fan of NHL refereeing, I didn't have an issue with the officiating tonight. Was it perfect? Far from it, but perfect officiating is not possible. The Leafs' have played several sloppy games in a row where they have taken stupid penalties. Marner's hook should be called every single time.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well I guess 40m on 4 players doesn't make a good team.
How can you tell? The Leafs are the only team in the NHL to try it. They have only played 10 games, so clearly no one finalize their opinion on them. Manchester City and Liverpool have both done well with 4 players making more than 40m though. What criteria are you using?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i like matthews marner together but i want a better defender and bigger player with them in mikheyev, if they gonna play against top 2 nhl lines they need his length and D

Reactions: CincoHolio

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner played like horse shit tonight. Not taking care of the puck. But I think Babcock needs to make some changes just to spark something! For the love of Christ lol

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Wait until next year when we cant even afford Cody Ceci, this was supposed to be Dubas' all in year lmao.

I would think one of Johnsson, Kapanen or Kerfoot gets moved. Barrie isn’t coming back I don’t think

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The refs certainly have in the last couple of years when the Leafs started becoming very good...the Leafs are one of the teams that draw the least number of penalties despite being one of the fastest teams in the league...and it's continuing right where it has left off again this year...let's hope the future of gambling in the NHL will straighten these refs out because the big businesses won't stand for it.
The game is fast. They’re required to make dozens of 50/50 calls in real time that happen in split seconds. It’s a nearly impossible job but they try their best to be fair.

They’re constantly scrutinized and they get punished if it’s deemed they failed to meet standards... But that almost never happens.

Most recent example was the crew being pulled from the playoffs after a poor night in game 2 of Leafs-Boston.

If they fail to meet standards, they’re punished... just like everyone else.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Yea watching this year between the team and the reffing has just been un-enjoyable.

I've been theorizing that USA teams are getting the best deals from the refs when they are playing Canadian teams for years now. It is done primarily with non-calls.

USA vs Canada: USA bias (it doesn't take much folks)
USA vs USA: pick 'em
CAN vs CAN: pick 'em

This isn't anything new.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
I thought Craig Buttons criticism was right on.

At this point this is not a contender, it’s not even a playoff team.

it needs major work. Is it just me or does it seem (since December/2018) that the opponent comes at us in waves and mostly in the dangerous slot area with lots of room, fending off stick checks, Freddie facing 40 shots-meanwhile does it seem the opponent always has five players standing in their own defensive zone while we play on the fringes?

isn’t this a structural issue? A long time one?

I've been theorizing that USA teams are getting the best deals from the refs when they are playing Canadian teams for years now. It is done primarily with non-calls.

This isn't anything new.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The game is fast. They’re required to make dozens of 50/50 calls in real time that happen in split seconds. It’s a nearly impossible job but they try their best to be fair.

They’re constantly scrutinized and they get punished if it’s deemed they failed to meet standards... But that almost never happens.

Most recent example was the crew being pulled from the playoffs after a poor night in game 2 of Leafs-Boston.

If they fail to meet standards, they’re punished... just like everyone else.

They are not punished enough...the Leafs-Boston game was blatant where the refs failed to control the game early and let it get out of hand...that's a crime in itself...imagine if the Leafs were the aggressors early in the game, they probably would have been shipped to the penalty box one after another...but instead, the Bruins were allowed to have their way with no calls until it got out of hand. What we're seeing in the regular season in the last few years is more subtle, but at times very noticeable...and this passive aggressive bias officiating has accumulated to a body of evidence...the Leafs are dead last in the entire NHL with the least amount of powerplays per game played in the last 3 years since they became good again...a bunch of other crappy, non-playoff teams, with less talent, less offense and less puck possession numbers are getting more powerplays than the Leafs...that's laughable. You couldn't find more evidence of bias officiating if you went digging for it.

Reactions: definedMF and IPS

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm not absolving the players for their poor play at all. However, to say that the officiating was not poor the past few games, is to be close-minded and not being fair to the fans or those players that did have great games i.e. Andersen

You can’t place blame on the referees without first removing it from the players.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

This isn't anything new.

Theorize away my friend.

There's a lot of hatred bred between Canadian teams' fanbases which doesn't help objective viewings.

The Leafs aren't the only ones who are victims of game management. I would suggest folks to go back and view the 2018 WCF Jets vs VGK. The officiating was noticeably lopsided in favor of VGK. Every time the Jets started getting some momentum they'd get chintzy calls against them - all the while Ryan Reeves was getting the Brad Marchand treatment from the refs getting away with everything. For real, it was much akin to our series' vs Boston.

It's not all about who gets the most calls. When a team has momentum, stupid and "untimely" calls disrupting it goes a very long ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad