Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Boo hoo. Those referees were really mean tonight. Leafs would have won if they’d only been fair.

Right?

:laugh:

Yes...if the CBJ had a better PP, they would have won in regulation...that's how offside those calls were.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Yes because it will be so easy to move Nylander Marner.

Well genius id love to know who you replace Dubas and Shanny with? This board seems to be sold on Keefe as babcocks replacement

Think a little bit

You are right. Let's this team wallow in mediocrity for the next 5 or 10 years and then make the change. Management has blown it! Let's get them out and get a real leadership team in there or watch your fans disappear and then I guess it won't matter. Dubas is a disaster and Shanny put him there that = goodbye to both.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Sucks to keep losing after we have the lead. Last year we were exceptionally good when we were ahead.

Also, did marner even actually put his glove on the puck? I didn't get to see a very good angle but from what I saw, his hand was on Freddie's glove. Does that still count as a penalty shot?

Edit: just checked nhl.com but saw the penalty shot was for hooking, not the hand on the puck.

Still a bad play on marners part, but not nearly as awful.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Was at the game... we looked absolutely flat out there for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods. I just don't know how we expect to get anywhere paying guys 10+ million who go invisible for large stretches.

Marner was awful tonight, yes, but that whole line wasn't exactly lighting it up. Spezza is awful on that 3C too, and we couldn't handle the puck AT ALL tonight, and were trying to make break-out stretch passes that were too far. Just a bad game and not sure what's going on with this team when we should be much better than this.

I thought Spezza had a few decent moments but at this point he’s a fourth liner for them and one Babcock doesn’t trust at all and Spezza knows it. He took a shot on an odd man rush tonight when Rielly was wide open and would basically have had an open net. I have a hard time believing that a guy who has been a playmaker in the league for as long as Spezza has didn’t know he was there. Obviously, it’s easier to see plays like that on tv but it was obvious enough that I was surprised they didn’t bring it up during the intermission. Looked to me like he forced the shot because he thinks he needs to score enough goals that Babcock can’t take him out of the lineup.

Reactions: killer1980

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The let it go both ways, though? A few come to mind but the most egregious was Josh Anderson - could have beat Rielly in a 3-3 game and Rielly literally rode him for a good 2-3 seconds. That’s a hold every day of the week, right in front of the referee... Anderson yelled “that’s a ****in’ hold” and everyone in the rink knew it.

If you look at it from both sides, they were pretty consistent.
Gauthier was taken down moments after on a exact same play he was penalized for.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Because Leafs fans don’t watch hockey, stats like these can cause panic on these message boards.
Those of us do watch several games per night realize the it’s the Leafs and not the refs at fault here. This stat drives home the severity problem.
Looks like CLB wasn't getting penalized all night for same calls leafs were.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
That they don’t get a lot of PP’s? Sure.

That the referees are biased against them and nobody else? That’s not a fact at all. That’s your opinion, and it’s a pretty silly one.

Referees are disciplined for being bad. They’ve earned their way to the NHL being exceptional in lower leagues and I can assure you they want to stay there. They do their best at a near impossible job.

Do you think the Refs love the Leafs? I'm sure there are many folks outside of Toronto who do not like the Leafs, and many in Toronto who don't either. Disciplined for being bad? I've not seen how NHL refs are held accountable for being bad...they still get to call games, game-in and game-out during the regular season. Unless they do something blatant in the playoffs, like in last year's Sharks and Vegas game against that darling and shiny new Vegas team, what kind of discipline do they get?

Reactions: rubous

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I thought Spezza had a few decent moments but at this point he’s a fourth liner for them and one Babcock doesn’t trust at all and Spezza knows it. He took a shot on an odd man rush tonight when Rielly was wide open and would basically have had an open net. I have a hard time believing that a guy who has been a playmaker in the league for as long as Spezza has didn’t know he was there. Obviously, it’s easier to see plays like that on tv but it was obvious enough that I was surprised they didn’t bring it up during the intermission. Looked to me like he forced the shot because he thinks he needs to score enough goals that Babcock can’t take him out of the lineup.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Couldn’t believe he actually shot the puck.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The let it go both ways, though? A few come to mind but the most egregious was Josh Anderson - could have beat Rielly in a 3-3 game and Rielly literally rode him for a good 2-3 seconds. That’s a hold every day of the week, right in front of the referee... Anderson yelled “that’s a ****in’ hold” and everyone in the rink knew it.

If you look at it from both sides, they were pretty consistent.

We get it - you are unique, and daring, and bold. Thank you for blessing us with your differentness.

Reactions: Mitchy and Azazel

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I remember that play - it was a 4 on 2. I can forgive him for that, but he's just got no edges or agility at all out there. Still early but not impressed.

Reactions: StatsNightHeroes

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
But I was always told speedy technical young teams are the ones that draw the most penalties.

You're saying you don't think that's true?

What draws penalties then? And, if it's not just bad reffing, what is it that makes the leafs so bad at drawing penalties?

Unfortunately for the Leafs, it’s using speed with power to go into the tough areas. Tough areas are where ever a defender is.
Leafs spend too much time on the perimeter and use their stick as their only means on defense.

Last edited:

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I was thinking the exact same thing. Couldn’t believe he actually shot the puck.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who saw it that way. I really thought he was just doing a good job of selling the shot. I don’t think we got a replay, so maybe the goalie was giving him a pretty big target or something. I just thought it was really weird that a passer of his caliber wouldn’t pass that.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Two years ago the leafs came to early leads, but couldn't hold them. Last year the leafs always went down early, but could come back and then hold leads.

This year seems to be the combination of both problems...

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Do you think the Refs love the Leafs? I'm sure there are many folks outside of Toronto who do not like the Leafs, and many in Toronto who don't either. Disciplined for being bad? I've not seen how NHL refs are held accountable for being bad...they still get to call games, game-in and game-out during the regular season. Unless they do something blatant in the playoffs, like in last year's Sharks and Vegas game against that darling and shiny new Vegas team, what kind of discipline do they get?
I’ve been reffing for 22 years and officiated several clubs I was raised to hate.

Thing is, as a professional, you take pride in doing the best job possible. As a referee, that means right down the middle.

I can’t speak for other individuals but I can assure you referees are disciplined, we just don’t often hear about it. The referees were pulled from the playoffs after the bad game against the Bruins in the playoffs.

No referee is perfect but the bad ones with bias will be weeded out long before they reach the NHL.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Unfortunately for the Leafs, it’s using speed with power to go into the tough areas. Tough areas are where ever a defender is.
Leafs spend too much time on the perimeter and use their stick as their only means defense.
Again, I was told the "tough" teams that would power into the tough areas were the teams that GOT a lot of penalties. Not draw them. I was told it was quick young technical teams that draw penalties.

It seems whatever the leafs are at the moment, it's the opposite that now draws penalties.

Reactions: Azazel

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
or the refs just plain old sucked at their job

Sucking only against the Leafs? So when the Leafs commit a penalty, they see it, but when the opposition commits one, they don't see it? Something like 16-4 in PPs against the Leafs in the last 3 games? Why can't they suck in the Leafs' favour? Or at least make it seem remotely objective. That's not called sucking it, that's called having an agenda.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
I’ve been reffing for 22 years and officiated several clubs I was raised to hate.

Thing is, as a professional, you take pride in doing the best job possible. As a referee, that means right down the middle.

I can’t speak for other individuals but I can assure you referees are disciplined, we just don’t often hear about it. The referees were pulled from the playoffs after the bad game against the Bruins in the playoffs.

No referee is perfect but the bad ones with bias will be weeded out long before they reach the NHL.
So you are a ref? And you missed the unbalanced calls? Im not surprised.

"If thats your best, your best won't do."

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
We can rail in the team and players and Babcock all we want but taking that many penalties disrupted the flow of the game way too much to make any solid conclusions.

some comments from the game
1. Matthews dominated offensively but still showed that he needs to keep working on his 200ft game
2. Anderson was the best player in the Leafs - how many breakaway shots did he save?
3. Refs sucked at their job but Leafs also a bit undisciplined - ie. no physical penalties worth taking really
4. Nylander had a strong game
5. Ceci is horrible and Marincin sucked also. Trade ceci please.
6. Johnsson is a nice little player !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad