Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Considering the game was tied on a terrible call, yeah
Then he let Morgan Rielly get away with a clear hold, right in front of the referee that would have put Josh Anderson in alone.

Again, it went both ways. You’re looking at it from one side.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Then he let Morgan Rielly get away with a clear hold, right in front of the referee that would have put Josh Anderson in alone.

CBJ only committed 2 infractions against the Leafs' 5 tonight...that wasn't the game I saw.

Edit: 6 including the penalty shot (which I agree with). But it's 6-2 in CBJ's favour.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

we get it, the Leafs got away with a hold and you think it magically makes everything even. It doesn't. One team doesn't end up with 5 powerplays and a penalty shot if the officials are letting everything go

Reactions: smitty10

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Again, I was told the "tough" teams that would power into the tough areas were the teams that GOT a lot of penalties. Not draw them. I was told it was quick young technical teams that draw penalties.

It seems whatever the leafs are at the moment, it's the opposite that now draws penalties.

I suggest you start listening to different people.

I said this summer I expected (hoped) Nylander to have a little Forsberg in him this year. He doesn’t and that makes him borderline useless. Guys wth the puck all game should be drawing penalties.

Beta thinks this is the way to win but I’ve never seen it happen in my 55 yrs of watching hockey.

Reactions: coupe93

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The vast majority of games are reffed decently. Tonight was bad. Boston was disgusting.

In an 82 game season it happens, and yeah, fans are allowed to be annoyed about it when it does.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

The overall infractions that I saw seemed to be the leafs taking slightly more than the Jackets. I even commented after the 1st period that the refs were doing a pretty good job. But, by the end of the game, I'd say the peanlty difference was like, a 5-4 difference. Not a 5-2 difference.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Again, I was told the "tough" teams that would power into the tough areas were the teams that GOT a lot of penalties. Not draw them. I was told it was quick young technical teams that draw penalties.

It seems whatever the leafs are at the moment, it's the opposite that now draws penalties.

The teams that get a step on guys and actually cut towards the dangerous areas are the ones that draw penalties. If Nylander cut in on the D even half the time he got a step on them he’d draw way more penalties. Instead he button hooks to the outside and hits a trailer with a pass that generally ends with a low percentage point shot. He’s not the only one either.

They also don’t draw as many penalties in the neutral zone as you’d expect a team with their speed to do since they do the stretch pass for a chip in so often. When both the wingers are flat footed at the blue line the other team doesn’t need to hold guys up with interference to slow the forecheck. Moore is actually really good at drawing these types of penalties because he keeps his feet moving and tries to skate through the interference. Most of them just see that there is going to be contact and either let up or go the long way.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016

So they did a shitty job. You just said the officials let a player cheat in order to gain an advantage. How is that a good job in your eyes? We are saying that when it comes to that type of decision the officials do not 'let us get away' with as much as other teams and the imbalance is staggering. Its not just fans either, broadcasters and media are beginning to point it out. The stats back eyes in this case as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The teams that get a step on guys and actually cut towards the dangerous areas are the ones that draw penalties. If Nylander cut in on the D even half the time he got a step on them he’d draw way more penalties. Instead he button hooks to the outside and hits a trailer with a pass that generally ends with a low percentage point shot. He’s not the only one either.

They also don’t draw as many penalties in the neutral zone as you’d expect a team with their speed to do since they do the stretch pass for a chip in so often. When both the wingers are flat footed at the blue line the other team doesn’t need to hold guys up with interference to slow the forecheck. Moore is actually really good at drawing these types of penalties because he keeps his feet moving and tries to skate through the interference. Most of them just see that there is going to be contact and either let up or go the long way.

You're definitely right. They avoid the contact plays that typically draw penalties and they also engage in a lot of those cheesy poke check plays that result in slashing, hooking, tripping calls when they could just play the body and loosen up those pucks for retrieval. But they poke around, hack and whack and get penalized that way.

How do they fix that? By actually playing with more physicality. Clean checks, less stick work, skate through high traffic areas with speed and draw penalties.

But I'd still say on the balance the refs don't seem to want to hand over game deciding PP's in favour of Toronto for general political reasons.

Reactions: Kurtz

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
You're definitely right. They avoid the contact plays that typically draw penalties and they also engage in a lot of those cheesy poke check plays that result in slashing, hooking, tripping calls when they could just play the body and loosen up those pucks for retrieval. But they poke around, hack and whack and get penalized that way.

But I'd still say on the balance the refs don't seem to want to hand over game deciding PP's in favour of Toronto for general political reasons.

Ya they are very active with their sticks and need to be more careful with them. I think they’ve been on the short end of the stick with the refs the last few games but I don’t think it’s a political thing, it’s just something that happens during an 82 game season. No one mentions the nights the Leafs are the ones getting the soft calls in their favour (atleast not on the leafs forum).

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The vast majority of games are reffed decently. Tonight was bad. Boston was disgusting.

In an 82 game season it happens, and yeah, fans are allowed to be annoyed about it when it does.

If it's any consolation for anyone here, the fans really gave it to the refs after the game, tossing beer/ bottles at them as they skated off. Felt a bit like MSG or the Boston Gardens

Reactions: Kurtz and Azazel

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Refs back at it again, tomorrow is gonna be even worse. Typical Boston bs. Someone should just call them out, not like it can get any worse than it already is.

Reactions: Azazel

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Well, a lot of people got their wish in seeing Matthews and Marner together.

My God, where they awful

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
People here really blaming the refs when the leafs got off to that god awful start. Start like that and you deserve to lose. We're lucky we got a point. Be better.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I suggest you start listening to different people.

I said this summer I expected (hoped) Nylander to have a little Forsberg in him this year. He doesn’t and that makes him borderline useless. Guys wth the puck all game should be drawing penalties.

Beta thinks this is the way to win but I’ve never seen it happen in my 55 yrs of watching hockey.

I think we're similar age and watched a similar amount of hockey.

All I'm saying is that back in the day when the leafs were tough, the leafs STILL took way more penalties than PP's.

It just seems that whatever the leafs current perk is, THAT'S what now draws penalties.

Reactions: Kurtz

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think the reffing was any good tonight again (3rd game in a row) but the Leafs sucked in the 3rd period tonight. Completely stopped playing and let CBJ gain a ton of momentum.. it was only a matter of time till they were going to score that 3rd goal.

When push comes to shove, Toronto never ever shoves back they just let the onslaught happen.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I’ve been reffing for 22 years and officiated several clubs I was raised to hate.

Thing is, as a professional, you take pride in doing the best job possible. As a referee, that means right down the middle.

I can’t speak for other individuals but I can assure you referees are disciplined, we just don’t often hear about it. The referees were pulled from the playoffs after the bad game against the Bruins in the playoffs.

No referee is perfect but the bad ones with bias will be weeded out long before they reach the NHL.

Refs are human...they are fallible and have their biases, even at the most professional leagues.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
People here really blaming the refs when the leafs got off to that god awful start. Start like that and you deserve to lose. We're lucky we got a point. Be better.
To be fair, Andersons start was terrible. First 2 shots went in. Leafs kept them to 4 shots up to the 10 min mark of the first. It just sucked that 50% of those 4 shots went in. Better start from him, different results. The refs also sucked. We dont need to pick just one reason we lost, the Leafs gave us a whole buffet of choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad