Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If the locker room tunes him out for holding them accountable for a poor game, I’d suggest those players are the real problem.

Babcock’s problem tonight was that they’re all stick infractions and those are most often the result of poor positioning. These are avoidable penalties that every coach will hate.
The problem is not Leafs taking penalties.

The problem is the refs not calling things evenly on the other side.

Reactions: mrbagina

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I didn't think I'd enjoy seeing them this bad, but I do. Matthews is the only guy playing for his millions. The others are loafing. If you want to see a major shakeup, they will have to miss the playoffs. Then they can get rid of Babcock, Dubas, Shanny, Nylander, Marner, and Anderson. Then it will be back to Leaf management favourite phrase, "We're rebuilding."
Yes because it will be so easy to move Nylander Marner.

Well genius id love to know who you replace Dubas and Shanny with? This board seems to be sold on Keefe as babcocks replacement

Think a little bit

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There's a reason trolls from other boards are Liking your post, and it isn't because it's intelligent.
I remember when I got infracted last year for liking posts on other team's boards

I wonder if the same standards are being imposed here :rolleyes:

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
I don't suppose you know what games they called for us last year? Hebert sounds awfully familiar
Naw, im not organized enough to have written that stuff down like I should have. Yeah I called Hebert out specifically last year, as hed been on my radar for a while. Chmielewski I gave the benefit of the doubt to assuming Hebert was the one causing the issues, however I've seen too much of C to not call him out now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
so through 10 games, Matthews is 2nd in cf% among all players with at least 150 minutes played. First among forwards. Also first among all players in shots%, second in scoring chance% (1st among forwards), and third in xgf% (1st among forwards). Definitely turning into a 2-way monster and I hope he keeps it up

Reactions: stickty111

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
players like going to war for coaches they can respect. Why should the Leafs play hard for Babcock to stay on as coach when he's willing to throw them all under the bus to defend horrendous officiating?

conspiracy theory but i think babcock also wants out of this shit show.

he doesn't have the roster he thinks can win in the playoffs and dubas didn't help babcock.

the GM and coach combo doesn't work.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The problem is not Leafs taking penalties.

The problem is the refs not calling things evenly on the other side.
The let it go both ways, though? A few come to mind but the most egregious was Josh Anderson - could have beat Rielly in a 3-3 game and Rielly literally rode him for a good 2-3 seconds. That’s a hold every day of the week, right in front of the referee... Anderson yelled “that’s a ****in’ hold” and everyone in the rink knew it.

If you look at it from both sides, they were pretty consistent.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
conspiracy theory but i think babcock also wants out of this **** show.

he doesn't have the roster he thinks can win in the playoffs and dubas didn't help babcock.

not sure if Babcock himself wants out but I wouldn't be too surprised. You're 100% right Dubas and Babcock don't work together though

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I remember back in the day when the leafs were big and tough, they got way more penalties. I was always told "It's the young quick technical teams that draw penalties. Tough teams get penalties."

Yet here we are as one of the youngest, speediest, most technical teams in the league... and we're always at/near the bottom of the league in pp opportunities.

I've tried hard to avoid going down the "conspiracy theory" route... but at what point does empirical evidence outweigh coincidence?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Hell yeah brother

I said it before and I'll say it again - IDGAF if it's the players or the coach who's the problem, just start addressing the damn problems. If firing Babcock is a stepping stone to solving roster problems, perfect.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I remember when I got infracted last year for liking posts on other team's boards

I wonder if the same standards are being imposed here :rolleyes:
I was too. Strange because I thought it was anomolous. Kind of like the lack of PP opportunities the leafs are getting

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Was at the game... we looked absolutely flat out there for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods. I just don't know how we expect to get anywhere paying guys 10+ million who go invisible for large stretches.

Marner was awful tonight, yes, but that whole line wasn't exactly lighting it up. Spezza is awful on that 3C too, and we couldn't handle the puck AT ALL tonight, and were trying to make break-out stretch passes that were too far. Just a bad game and not sure what's going on with this team when we should be much better than this.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
This team ain't going nowhere. Way too inconsistent overall. I don't see the same energy I saw in 2016-2017 when the big 3 were coming in together. Something has changed. Something has to change.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

I also thought this and brought it up last week.

I asked if it's possible Babcock wants out and is flat out sabotaging the leafs with the way he manages the PP and the star players ice time.

Reactions: ToMaLe

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Maybe when Dubas was talking to Shanny before the OT, "he was saying why is Kerfoot on the ice". It would be nice but probably not.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
NHL.com - Stats

Been going on for years.

It's literally a fact now.
That they don’t get a lot of PP’s? Sure.

That the referees are biased against them and nobody else? That’s not a fact at all. That’s your opinion, and it’s a pretty silly one.

Referees are disciplined for being bad. They’ve earned their way to the NHL being exceptional in lower leagues and I can assure you they want to stay there. They do their best at a near impossible job.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
so through 10 games, Matthews is 2nd in cf% among all players with at least 150 minutes played. First among forwards. Also first among all players in shots%, second in scoring chance% (1st among forwards), and third in xgf% (1st among forwards). Definitely turning into a 2-way monster and I hope he keeps it up

Hes not there yet and that coverage in the Dubois goal is evidence that he is not there yet. He definitely has the potential to be and i think its just gonna take a bit more time

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Because Leafs fans don’t watch hockey, stats like these can cause panic on these message boards.
Those of us do watch several games per night realize the it’s the Leafs and not the refs at fault here. This stat drives home the severity problem.

I was at the game, the refs weren't that bad. A couple weak calls but hey what do you expect when you put your stick between players' legs. We played some seriously dumb hockey tonight.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Because Leafs fans don’t watch hockey, stats like these can cause panic on these message boards.
Those of us do watch several games per night realize the it’s the Leafs and not the refs at fault here. This stat drives home the severity problem.
But I was always told speedy technical young teams are the ones that draw the most penalties.

You're saying you don't think that's true?

What draws penalties then? And, if it's not just bad reffing, what is it that makes the leafs so bad at drawing penalties?

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
Garbage officiating and brutal giveaways that cost us all night. But we still got a point. Meh on to Boston. Something tells me hutch will get hung out to dry. Expecting 6 goals against.

Reactions: Azazel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad