Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks, I think that pretty much sums up what is out there. So basically what has been said/confirmed from Marner's camp:

a) Marner will not take a discount. That's pretty understandable
b) Proud dad thinks son is a winner and is captain material

In media speculation, we have:

a) Bob MacKenzie believes Marner camp feels Marner is worth as much as Matthews

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Thanks, I think that pretty much sums up what is out there. So basically what has been said/confirmed from Marner's camp:

And Nylander was slammed here and his camp said .....zilch! Imagine if his agent and dad spoke to the media and fed Dreger tweets?
Bobby I'm sure has spoken to their camp or wouldn't come right out and say that

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
as much as i like him as a player i'm really fed up with his camp. he doesn't believe he's getting enough appreciation in toronto? fine then. go look for it in arizona, ottawa oder novosibirsk. i don't care anymore.

in my whole life i won't earn third of what this egomaniacal kid will be making in one single year. marner, his camp and the whole business lack a good portion of humbleness.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Should be nearing the end of the 1st period in this crazy game right about now and what an exciting game it's been so far. The fans are going wild. What happens next is anybody's guess!

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Dreger was the only real choice, the man is losing his insider knowledge by the day so Ferris and co picking him as mouth piece was the right choice. Pick the insider desperately clinging to being a legit insider and not an ecklund level guesser, and if it all goes pear shaped say dreger doesn't know what he is talking about.

Lebrun, Mckenzie, Friedman and Johnston would never go along with being played like dreger has

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dreger was the only real choice, the man is losing his insider knowledge by the day so Ferris and co picking him as mouth piece was the right choice. Pick the insider desperately clinging to being a legit insider and not an ecklund level guesser, and if it all goes pear shaped say dreger doesn't know what he is talking about.

Lebrun, Mckenzie, Friedman and Johnston would never go along with being played like dreger has

People looking for direct quotes from marner himself .....he's not an idiot. He'll defer to his agent and give the usual PR answer. His dad has probably been told to stfu. But if anyone thinks his camp hasn't been feeding the media, not sure what to tell ya.

Reactions: IPS

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
This isn't unclassy, it's completely normal and usually where negotiations start.

It's where negotiations usually start, but if one side gets paid significantly lower or higher than they should be without willing consent by the other side, it is unclassy

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
People looking for direct quotes from marner himself .....he's not an idiot. He'll defer to his agent and give the usual PR answer. His dad has probably been told to ****. But if anyone thinks his camp hasn't been feeding the media, not sure what to tell ya.

oh sorry I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just adding to the feeding of info to dreger.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

This proves we should exclude Marner from our friend group

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

latest

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, nothing has really been said since Matthews signed.
Imaginations seem to be running wild with some.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
People looking for direct quotes from marner himself .....he's not an idiot. He'll defer to his agent and give the usual PR answer. His dad has probably been told to ****. But if anyone thinks his camp hasn't been feeding the media, not sure what to tell ya.
He is an evil genius

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Marner is being lowballed!!! That is hilarious.

Cant wait until the kid is forced to go play in Russia this year or sit out. Will teach him, his dad and agent that speaking out during negotiations is very unprofessional and childish.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner is being lowballed!!! That is hilarious.

Cant wait until the kid is forced to go play in Russia this year or sit out. Will teach him, his dad and agent that speaking out during negotiations is very unprofessional and childish.

we cant let that happen. We need marner or the assets from marner this season, preferably marner but has to be at the right price and not elite 1C price of course. If he wont budge from Matthews comparison start shopping him for the elite top pair dman if a team is willing to deal with marner camp (a lot probably wouldn't want to) but I really prefer not having him sit to only continue with this in a year time

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is there any chance that Marner and Dubas have agreed to a contract, but waiting to switch Horton's LTIR over on the first day?

Highly unlikely. The amount of cap space relief gained when a player is put on LTIR depends on whether it's done during the regular season or at the end of training camp before day 1, as well as what the team's averaged payroll is at the time of the LTIR move.

Usually teams are better off waiting until day 1 for LTIR relief if possible. However, the Leafs' current roster and cap space suggest the best route for them is to sign Marner and activate the Horton LTIR before the regular season starts. It's difficult to use LTIR during the season to fit a new contract in when that contract (Marner) is larger then the LTIR relief (Horton), and having both Horton and Hyman on LTIR doesn't change that difficulty. Whereas its easy to use that LTIR space before the season starts to fit in a larger (Marner) contract due to the summer 110% cap ceiling.

Note this all assumes there are no major changes to the Leafs roster before day 1. The Leafs would have to shed enough payroll to allow a Marner signing without using any LTIR space to make a day 1 LTIR move optimal.

Reactions: Chungo2

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Right, but that doesn’t mean the Leafs camp will draw a hard line on October first. They already demonstrated with Nylander that they don’t operate that way.

Leafs were better off sitting Willy and not burning a year of his contract for nothing.

No NHL player has missed more than a month of the season and came back to put up great stats. Historically, sitting out is a stat killer.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Just like if they let Nylander sit out the year - noone wins

Signing in DEC, the Leafs new WIlly was going to be useless. But they were hoping he would contribute at a high level for the playoffs.

Willy should have sat out the season.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Signing in DEC, the Leafs new WIlly was going to be useless. But they were hoping he would contribute at a high level for the playoffs.

Willy should have sat out the season.

Why because an AHL call up would have done better? This makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad