Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVII (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
He’s not going to sign until training camp. Every thread until then is going to be a waste of time as usual

I am actually getting this feeling that he’s going to pull a Nylander and not sign until November or December

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I am actually getting this feeling that he’s going to pull a Nylander and not sign until November or December
that won't work with us unless he's signing for a Nylander-esque AAV, the inflated 1st year cap hit won't fit for us if it's an $8.5-11M AAV

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He'll sign at last possible minute. Once they finalize Marner they can't really do anything else. So best to be sure about your entire roster before finalizing all that cap space. Pretty sure their roster is already set. Anyway, they have lots of time. Use it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hoping to sign for 8.5m x 5y
~or~
Hoping for 4x 1sts and to sign Barrie and Muzzin with his cap
~or~
Hoping for a top end D-man + picks

Not happy with anything over 10m

Reactions: Nylander88

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Hoping to sign for 8.5m x 5y
~or~
Hoping for 4x 1sts and to sign Barrie and Muzzin with his cap
~or~
Hoping for a top end D-man + picks

Not happy with anything over 10m
Yeah.
Of everything, I'd prefer Marner at fair market value. That's by far what I want to see the most. The 1-2 punch of Tavares/Marner and Matthews/Nylander barely even happened last year, and I look forward to seeing it.

But the leafs are facing a problem where they have to pay all of their players far above market value. They NEED to end that. Even if it means losing Marner.

If he won't accept fair market value based on Dubas's previous dramatic overpayments, then I sort of understand. If his pride matters that much, just take the 4 picks (or equivalence through trade), set the VERY important precedent that the dramatic overpayments are DONE, and use the cap space on polishing up the D for next year.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You're like the 3rd person who has responded with that same reason.

What does the cap space or "cap reasons" have to do with it?
Apparently the leafs need to sign him before the season starts, or they can’t use Hortons $5 mil ltir money.

Or something like that

Reactions: mikeyz

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019

Honestly lmao. Like how sad is that. Money and lifestyle over championship for professional sports players, i'm telling you.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
You're like the 3rd person who has responded with that same reason.

What does the cap space or "cap reasons" have to do with it?

Cap Hit AAV would be calculated pro rata after the season starts - it's why Willy's cap hit last year was over $10,000,000 but his actual AAV is just under 7 million. Since we're so close to the salary cap this year after factoring in Marner's likely contract, we would exceed the cap if he waited like Nylander to sign a deal.

That doesn't mean it's impossible though. If Marner holds out and then has a change of heart and wants to sign after the season starts, Dubas could always trade away guys and their cap hits. It's not a likely scenario IMO, but this isn't exactly a "paint by numbers" negotiation.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I hope Dubas turns the screws a bit and let's the Marner camp know that if he is not signed by training camp, leafs will look at options to trade him. Bound to be more than a few teams that would pay a kings ransom. The team can NOT go through this crap again, and hold the team hostage while one player thinks he is over market value. I think it was Brian Burke who said during the nylander standoff "I would tell them the day the season starts, the offer goes down a little bit every day, automatically. Period." I remember thinking at the time Burkie was being a blowhard, but he really was right in that thinking.

Don't get me wrong I love Mitch, and obviously, we don't know what the offers are, so maybe a bit unfair to say. But time to put our foot down and let players know it is a privilege to play for the Leafs, not an 'automatic payday". If you want more to play here than anyone else would pay, we don't want you here. Plenty of good players will take our money.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Don't worry folks. Jerry Maguire Ferris will get it done.
Saw the movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->