Salary Cap: Marner Contract - $116,000,000 CANADIAN DOLLARS is the offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Thanks. Ya I agree. 7 by 11 if true the only 2 higher are AM and McDavid.. hed be getting more than Crosby. Like how the hell does that make bloody sense. Typing this is angering me more now.

Dubas to Ferris you realise that offer makes him the 3rd highest paid in the league right?? Like Marner and more so his dad said he was being under valued his whole hockey life 3rd highest paid in the NHL ..come on

Reactions: kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks. Ya I agree. 7 by 11 if true the only 2 higher are AM and McDavid.. hed be getting more than Crosby. Like how the hell does that make bloody sense. Typing this is angering me more now.

Dubas to Ferris you realise that offer makes him the 3rd highest paid in the league right?? Like Marner and more so his dad said he was being under valued his whole hockey life 3rd highest paid in the NHL ..come on
While I don't like him turning this down. Your statement is factually incorrect. Karlsson and Panarin are both paid more. Marner's deal may end up slightly better because of likely full lockout protection outside of a low base salary that we gave JT and Matthews which Karlsson's lack (it has some protection and bonuses but not as extreme).

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sample size like nine seasons of sample size for JT and 2 seasons for Marner? JT has shown he can produce at essentially the same level he did last year with a much less talented group of players around him. Marner has shown without JT he's a 60-70pt perimeter playing winger.
Dont be ridiculous. He is the best player on the team

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think if Marner wants to stay in Toronto he will sign before game 1 of the season. What scares me were reports saying Dubas was working the hardest to get his RFA signed, and still nothing. At least we know Dubas wont wait it out. Said today he learnt from Nylander situation, not to just wait on the agent or player, keep checking in and talking. I dont know if Marner has stuck his nose in this yet, he kept saying my agent, my agent...I feel like he may do what Nylander did if this continues on and start up the conversation and it gets done. Then fires Ferris.

Marner is driving the bus, not the agent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
More people need to realize the Leafs literally only have a few days past the start of the season if they want to give him anything more than a super cheap short term deal.

So in practical ter.s not being signed by then essentially means hes traded or will be sitting

Reactions: biotk and kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner is driving the bus, not the agent.
Again, they are going to wait out the best potential offer leverage wise, which likely doesn't come until around October 1st. When he starts missing game checks. There is very little incentive to settle now, as the goal is to maximize leverage to get the best possible offer.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Again, they are going to wait out the best potential offer leverage wise, which likely doesn't come until around October 1st. When he starts missing game checks. There is very little incentive to settle now, as the goal is to maximize leverage to get the best possible offer.
There is nothing to leverage. Nothing. Unless you think the Leafs will start trading away important pieces to fit in a player asking for a contract he's never going to be worth.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
The team is bigger than the player. At this stage, the Leafs should just trade him. Playing for the Leafs should be like playing for the Yankees. Do you think they would let the player dictate things like this? No.

Have respect for yourself as an organization and give Marner the big FU. You are world class and the biggest brand in the NHL. Why are you letting a guy who's barely out of his teenage years, and his father drag you around like this?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If he waits until October 1st it means that theesfs would have to shed significant about of additional salary to gove him anything north of 8-9 million because they're using LTIR to basically cover the bulk of Marners aav.

That strategy means hes getting traded or the Leafs intend to sit him and gamble no further offwrsheet come.

This isnt like last season where the Leafs had tons of non ltir cap to absorb Nylander

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
after listening to podcasts and dubas' presser. I'm more convinced this has a lot to do with Marner not feeling as valued as Matthews and I don't know if that is going to ever change. It's such a damn shame Marner is letting this get to him (I feel his dad is pushing this more than him).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Realistically what is the best value we can get in a trade for Marner?

I'm suck if this bull****, we cant have that high caliber asset sitting on the sidelines during our cup window.

People are underestimating the return with no good reason.

With 30 other GMs out there there's at least 1-3 willing to bite. Leafs would likely need to take on salary (likely in the form of a top 6 forward/top 4 D man) plus some futures.

Would personally love to see.of the Leafs could nab Werenski out of Columbus though.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Dubas has handled RFAs so poorly he should be unemployed. He created this monster of a situation because of his absurd Matthews deal combined with his cowardly last second signing of Nylander.

A boy shouldn't have a man's job.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he waits until October 1st it means that theesfs would have to shed significant about of additional salary to gove him anything north of 8-9 million because they're using LTIR to basically cover the bulk of Marners aav.

That strategy means hes getting traded or the Leafs intend to sit him and gamble no further offwrsheet come.

This isn't like last season where the Leafs had tons of non ltir cap to absorb Nylander
October 1st is before the 1st game (which is the 2nd). So, no, that doesn't dramatically alter anything.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Dubas has handled RFAs so poorly he should be unemployed. He created this monster of a situation because of his absurd Matthews deal combined with his cowardly last second signing of Nylander.

I suppose you have the experience bargaining million dollar contracts?

I mean it's not like he signed one of the best UFAs and convinced him to take 1-2 million less.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
More people need to realize the Leafs literally only have a few days past the start of the season if they want to give him anything more than a super cheap short term deal.

So in practical ter.s not being signed by then essentially means hes traded or will be sitting

He's going to need to be careful he doesn't put the team into a position where they have no other option but to jam something down his throat

It's possible no one is driving the bus.

The bus got emotional and cut it's own breaks :sarcasm:

There's some risk if the Leafs don't fold for him though, once his cap hit starts pro-rating it handcuffs what the team can pay him

That's if he's willing to take this into the season of course although he's going to need a set of stone's to pull that with 11M×7-8 on the table

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
People are underestimating the return with no good reason.

With 30 other GMs out there there's at least 1-3 willing to bite. Leafs would likely need to take on salary (likely in the form of a top 6 forward/top 4 D man) plus some futures.

Would personally love to see.of the Leafs could nab Werenski out of Columbus though.
As long as Marner is willing to sign with the new team.

Reactions: Menzinger

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is nothing to leverage. Nothing. Unless you think the Leafs will start trading away important pieces to fit in a player asking for a contract he's never going to be worth.
Marner will likely live up the deal he gets. If you think Matthews will live up to his. Which, you constantly defend as a reasonable deal. That deal opened the pandora's box, which people just brush aside. Probably because its already signed so they don't want to bash Dubas's management of every RFA that isn't Kapanen or Johnsson.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Well... once Marner starts missing games, the 7 or 8 x 11M goes out the window. But the other choice which is the 3 x 9M or so that he really wants will still be there. That's leverage.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I think it's a combination of both Dubas and Lou, this all started with the Bonuses. Lou didn't give Mitch his B bonuses but gave Matthews his. Then Dubas didn't prioritize Mitch's contract extension.

This all comes down to Mitch (or his Dad) feeling like Mitch isn't being treated on the same level as Matthews despite leading the team in points. He feels like he is just as valuable if not more and just wants that respect. I don't think that's ever going to happen here, either Marner and his camp has to get over it or he has to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad