Salary Cap: Marner Contract - $116,000,000 CANADIAN DOLLARS is the offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You really think a GM is going to go in offering significant assets for what Marner is currently demanding. The whole league is in a holding pattern with RFA's. I also can't see many teams offering Marner the bonus structure he likely wants. This will just play out and it will likely lead to Mitch re-signed at somepoint. Way too many teams have uncertainty for this to be a good market to trade Marner, and in general, you will lose trading a player like Marner. I mean Boston, Calgary, Tampa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Philly and Colorado all have RFA issues at the moment. This isn't exclusive to us.

The Leafs won't "win" the trade but getting useful assets is better than having a player you cant sign.

I think you're also severely underestimating the potential market for Marner if dubas says hes open for business. The idea that the rest of the league is going to shrug and say "meh" doesnt hold up.

I've been generally cautiously optimistic for most of this offsesson presuming they'd be able to reach a compromise one. 6 test deal. But given how the Leafs are acting now seems clear we're entering unknown territory. And imo a gm like Dubas would be more open to bucking conventional wisdom and explore something like a trade.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs started at 6x6. They absolutely moved off their position. Someone calling someone doesn't mean they were the side that caved. They gave him a better deal than all of his reasonable comparables (Larkin, Pastrnak and Ehlers) while also buying one less UFA year.
People move in negotiations. That may be unfamiliar to some, but it ended where the Leafs and Dubas' were comfortable, right in the middle of his 10 closest comparables.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People move in negotiations. That may be unfamiliar to some, but it ended where the Leafs and Dubas' were comfortable, right in the middle of his 10 closest comparables.
Who were his 10 closest comparables. I mean, if you want to use Drai, I'd say that reaching. We also bought fewer UFA years than any of the main guys. People seem to ignore that Willy lacked 3 full seasons towards UFA, yet we gave him more than Ehlers, Pastrnak and Larkin, while only buying one UFA year. I don't think when you factor in UFA years bought, that he actually came in at the middle of his comparables.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs won't "win" the trade but getting useful assets is better than having a player you cant sign.

I think you're also severely underestimating the potential market for Marner if dubas says hes open for business. The idea that the rest of the league is going to shrug and say "meh" doesnt hold up.

I've been generally cautiously optimistic for most of this offsesson presuming they'd be able to reach a compromise one. 6 test deal. But given how the Leafs are acting now seems clear we're entering unknown territory. And imo a gm like Dubas would be more open to bucking conventional wisdom and explore something like a trade.
So according to that poster, he's worth big bucks, but yet has no trade value....and to prove it, he references Trouba (who only wanted one destination), and Kessel, who cost the Leafs Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton (this is bad?).

He plays both sides and can't keep his story straight. Then to top it off, he tries to play like an NHL insider.

Just wow. Yikes

Reactions: biotk

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Its better to overpay a player at his ask, then trade him before his NTC kicks in, similar to how the Habs handled Subban, just don't trade for a broken down older D-man. Trading him now is not going to maximize the asset at all, and why it would be a terrible move. He'll have more value in a year at 11.6 with 4 remaining than he will right now unless he plays like Willy last year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Again, it doesn't start prorating until the season officially starts. October 1st is the first day it starts calculating (the day the 23 man roster is due). Which why it is around the time they will have the most possible leverage. I'm sure they are well aware of every possible angle, and when the Leafs can't offer past a certain amount. Ferris isn't an uninformed person. So, unless pride gets in the way, they know the date that the best possible offer can be rescinded.

You seem to be presuming that this isn't being driven by emotion and Marner is going to be willing to see sense right before the season kicks off, I've got some doubts on that one

If the team doesn't fold (not beyond the realms of possibility with this front office) I could see this really spiralling into complete ****

Ferris knows what he's doing, he's not the only person driving the bus though and I do wonder how the Marner family is going to look at things

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Thanks. Ya I agree. 7 by 11 if true the only 2 higher are AM and McDavid.. hed be getting more than Crosby. Like how the hell does that make bloody sense. Typing this is angering me more now.

Dubas to Ferris you realise that offer makes him the 3rd highest paid in the league right?? Like Marner and more so his dad said he was being under valued his whole hockey life 3rd highest paid in the NHL ..come on

not to nit-pick but that would be 4th highest AAV player in the league after panarin

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So according to that poster, he's worth big bucks, but yet has no trade value....and to prove it, he references Trouba (who only wanted one destination), and Kessel, who cost the Leafs Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton (this is bad?).

He plays both sides and can't keep his story straight. Then to top it off, he tries to play like an NHL insider.

Just wow. Yikes
The only way to win a deal, is for unknown draft picks to end up top 5. Which is what happened with Seguin and Hamilton. They didn't trade Seguin and Hamilton, they traded picks that became them before they even knew it in the lottery.

He has very limited trade value to get anything resembling a fair return. Its simply better to lock him up with him being overpaid and trade him before his NTC kicks in.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You seem to be presuming that this isn't being driven by emotion and Marner is going to be willing to see sense right before the season kicks off, I've got some doubts on that one

If the team doesn't fold (not beyond the realms of possibility with this front office) I could see this really spiralling into complete ****

Ferris knows what he's doing, he's not the only person driving the bus though and I do wonder how the Marner family is going to look at things
More to the point, why miss training camp when everyone knows exactly how much space there is to sign him. Everyone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nylander can't carry Pasternak's jock. You do realize that, dontcha?

And Pastrnak should be making a bunch more.

That doesn’t mean Nylander’s contract is bad. It’s in the same area as several other strong comparables.

Nylander’s deal is right where it should be. You’d think some would have figured that out by now

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Nylander can't carry Pasternak's jock. You do realize that, dontcha?
Yeah, he's great with Bergeron and Marchand, and is the third best player on that line by a mile.

You do know that right? He had less than 30 points his first 2 seasons without being gifted that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Suck sh!t Big wheel ferris. Marner keeps this clown light show he's a goner.

He needs to fire this guy. Sign with this guy then fire him or talj to reporters immediately.

None of the above indicates a bad appke and we sit hiscsorry a$$ until a deal to OUR liking comes along.

Along being the operative word because I wouldn't mind sitting him ALONG time ;)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
And, you continually ignore that Pastrnak gave up two UFA years, which are the most valued years, Nylander gave up 1.
So? The whole UFA vs RFA thing was dead a long time ago. You may have missed that.

Reactions: biotk

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And Pastrnak should be making a bunch more.

That doesn’t mean Nylander’s contract is bad. It’s in the same area as several other strong comparables.

Nylander’s deal is right where it should be. You’d think some would have figured that out by now

Nylander had a higher career ppg, and more total points. And got less toi during his.clntract year (something like almost 2 less min). AND Pasta played on the hottest pp unit in the league while Nykander was on the 2nd unit.

And if Pasta had signed a season later hed be making 9 mil a year. Bruins got lucky.

I'm surprised people are still beating this dead horse.

Reactions: kb

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, he's great with Bergeron and Marchand, and is the third best player on that line by a mile.

You do know that right? He had less than 30 points his first 2 seasons without being gifted that.

He was 18 and 19 years old those first two seasons with no North American hockey experience. You do know that not all players start their careers as teenagers with top point production, don't you?

Pasternak has just gotten better and better. Pretty Willy flattened out after year two and has been trending downward. He's way overrated by his fan base. Waaaaay overrated.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Nylanders not awful but was slight overpayment (250k a year)

real damage was matthews contract.
should have been:
8 years: 11.6
7 years: 11 (tavares)
6 years: 10.5
5 years: 10
roughly speaking

not only overpayment but set precedent of leafs overpaying their top dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad