Salary Cap: Marner Contract - $116,000,000 CANADIAN DOLLARS is the offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So? The whole UFA vs RFA thing was dead a long time ago. You may have missed that.
No it wasn't, not at the time. But, I guess just keep on making excuses. No team thinks like that. Why do you think Marner settles for less on less term? No UFA would approach it like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's a combination of both Dubas and Lou, this all started with the Bonuses. Lou didn't give Mitch his B bonuses but gave Matthews his. Then Dubas didn't prioritize Mitch's contract extension.

This all comes down to Mitch (or his Dad) feeling like Mitch isn't being treated on the same level as Matthews despite leading the team in points. He feels like he is just as valuable if not more and just wants that respect. I don't think that's ever going to happen here, either Marner and his camp has to get over it or he has to be traded

What can he expect though. Matthews is the higher pedigree guy. And has been better over the course of their ELCs minus points in 2019.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its better to overpay a player at his ask, then trade him before his NTC kicks in, similar to how the Habs handled Subban, just don't trade for a broken down older D-man. Trading him now is not going to maximize the asset at all, and why it would be a terrible move. He'll have more value in a year at 11.6 with 4 remaining than he will right now unless he plays like Willy last year.

They just offered the kid 77 million dollars. An actual unprecdented (a word that's been used incorrectly way too often in this thread) overpay and it was turned down. So at this point I'm not sure what an overpay Marner would accept would even look like.

Though on one level I don't disagree. Id rather give him a 3 year deal and trade him at the tdl or next summer than let him sit.

Either way I'm not at all confident that Marner will spend much more time in a Leafs Jersey. Which is sad.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And Pastrnak should be making a bunch more.

That doesn’t mean Nylander’s contract is bad. It’s in the same area as several other strong comparables.

Nylander’s deal is right where it should be. You’d think some would have figured that out by now

I still think Nylander's a few hundred K over what it ideally would be, he can outplay that cap hit though

11M×7-8 is a ******* sight more than a few hundred K over though I can tell you that for damn sure, good luck outplaying that abomination

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It basically gives them literal hours to finalize the deal. I'd say that's a pretty big difference. This ultimately is a completely different situation than we saw last season.

It also presumes the Leafs don't opt to hedge bets and lay groundwork for a trade

Edit: typo

Marner's camp better hope Dubas doesn't have a Masai Ujiri moment...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They just offered the kid 77 million dollars. An actual unprecdented (a word that's been used incorrectly way too often in this thread) overpay and it was turned down. So at this point I'm not sure what an overpay Marner would accept would even look like.

Though on one level I don't disagree. Id rather give him a 3 year deal and trade him at the tdl or next summer than let him sit.

Either way I'm not at all confident that Marner will spend much more time in a Leafs Jersey. Which is sad.
It’s pretty clear he wants the Matthews 11.6 with the same bonus structure. That is the overpay. Which is why those are the numbers I used saying he probably has more value in a year at 11.6 with 4 years left than he does now. Barring he doesn’t play like Nylander last year.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Leafs started at 6x6. They absolutely moved off their position. Someone calling someone doesn't mean they were the side that caved. They gave him a better deal than all of his reasonable comparables (Larkin, Pastrnak and Ehlers) while also buying one less UFA year.

But they were so pressed up against the deadline that if Nylander didn't make the phone call, he would be sitting...so yes, Willy did cave.

Reactions: kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
But they were so pressed up against the deadline that if Nylander didn't make the phone call, he would be sitting...so yes, Willy did cave.
No, details can still be changed in 30 minutes just by editing cash amounts quickly. Either way he got the best deal of his comparables.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No it wasn't, not at the time. But, I guess just keep on making excuses. No team thinks like that. Why do you think Marner settles for less on less term? No UFA would approach it like that.
This is....just....wow.

So he can have a bigger body of work to negotiate with and not be trapped with a long term contract that takes him through his prime years? Is all about the $$$

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It’s pretty clear he wants the Matthews 11.6 with the same bonus structure. That is the overpay. Which is why those are the numbers I used saying he probably has more value in a year at 11.6 with 4 years left than he does now. Barring he doesn’t play like Nylander last year.

I'd rather sit him for the season and burn the year than pay him that, Matthews was bad enough and he's a franchise level goal scoring center and that deal still bites big wind

Marner gets that deal you need to sack the entire front office and trade Marner within the year because lunatics are clearly running the asylum at that point

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
30 minutes, plus it doesn’t mean Leafs didn’t change there offer that day.
I thought you said they did.....you know, with you being in the room and knowing all the players involved.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is....just....wow.

So he can have a bigger body of work to negotiate with and not be trapped with a long term contract that takes him through his prime years? Is all about the $$$
You said UFA and RFA are dead. No UFA signs for less even if they are 26 to get paid later on. RFA years are still valued significantly less. You basically insinuated there is no difference. There clearly is and to think there isn’t is ridiculous.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You realize teams use cap percentage, right? As a percentage, it's less than Pasternak.
But 1 less ufa year, MUCH more front loaded, and way more in signing bonuses.

We’re also talking about a (lol) proven 20 goal/60 point player compared to a player with a proven 37 goal/78 point projection over 82.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd rather sit him for the season and burn the year than pay him that, Matthews was bad enough and he's a franchise level goal scoring center and that deal still bites big wind

Marner gets that deal you need to sack the entire front office and trade Marner within the year because lunatics are clearly running the asylum at that point
It’s better to maximize value. Even if it’s sucks at a certain point.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
He's a winger His comparable contracts are wingers. not Mathews Eichel Crosby . . kuch is the top paid right winger. state tax and all that. then go Kane, Tarasenko wheeler pasta and so fourth those are his comparable contracts the guys that play the same position.

edit my bad its still Kane as the highest paid winger

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You said UFA and RFA are dead. No UFA signs for less even if they are 26 to get paid later on. RFA years are still valued significantly less. You basically insinuated there is no difference. There clearly is and to think there isn’t is ridiculous.
Only the elite get paid more at any time. And it does not matter if the elite are RFA or UFA. They all get paid.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That doesn’t mean he caved. They settled at the last minute. By all accounts he got more than what was offered in training camp.
"By all accounts" means you are guessing because you don't know.

Just say you don't know but are happy to make things up to suit your argument. It's more transparent.

Reactions: Alerion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad