Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the AHL remains uncanceled, could that be a potential short-term hub for our inactive Euros? Even though Rasanen wasn't a regular on Jokerit, they've now pulled themselves from the KHL playoffs so there's zero chance he's getting anymore KHL games this year. Could Ras be brought in on a loan for the last stretch of the Marlies season? Assuming other European teams follow suit.

The sooner we can get Rasanen and Greenway in the AHL the better.

You are talking about the theoretical, on an improbable event. Odds are they don't play a game again. There are very slim odds, that they do some playoffs, but the Marlies wouldn't qualify for that anyway.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If the AHL remains uncanceled, could that be a potential short-term hub for our inactive Euros? Even though Rasanen wasn't a regular on Jokerit, they've now pulled themselves from the KHL playoffs so there's zero chance he's getting anymore KHL games this year. Could Ras be brought in on a loan for the last stretch of the Marlies season? Assuming other European teams follow suit.

The sooner we can get Rasanen and Greenway in the AHL the better.

Youre talking about flying a couple guys across a couple continents in the middle of a pandemic and then putting them on tour

the whole reason they're not playing is to avoid moving around in the first place

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That's too bad, I wanted him on an AHL deal for next year.

Good for him for getting more, but I would not have given him an ELC. Not when we have Stotts, Abramov, Holmberg and SDA in the system.

Have to wonder if the Leafs start thinking about giving Stotts an ELC though. His upside is higher, and he plays a more versatile, all-around game without any kind of weakness. McGregor was essentially pegged to be a defensive 4C who could PK and maybe get 25 points a year. Stotts projects essentially as a larger, stronger Kerfoot and could potentially PK as well. Our development staff does not need to worry about overhauling any part of his game so he can survive at the pro level, and can instead focus on refining each part of his game to make him more competitive. Even if he just put in a lot of time in the weight room and became stronger, his high IQ, versatility (capable of playing all three forward positions) and strong work ethic could take him to the NHL in some capacity.

Reactions: stickty111

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Marlies could undergo a ton of changes this off-season:

•Petan and Bracco have expressed desire for a better opportunity
•Aberg, Read, MacMaster, Gaudet, Wilson, and Gravel might get two-way deals elsewhere
•Kivihalme might seek other opportunities
•SDA, Stotts, Kral, and Abruzzese (less likely) may turn Pro
•Brazeau and Conrad likely factor in more at the AHL level
•Korshkov (and maybe Brooks) might make the Leafs

Reactions: SprDaVE

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Marlies could undergo a ton of changes this off-season:

•Petan and Bracco have expressed desire for a better opportunity
•Aberg, Read, MacMaster, Gaudet, Wilson, and Gravel might get two-way deals elsewhere
•Kivihalme might seek other opportunities
•SDA, Stotts, Kral, and Abruzzese (less likely) may turn Pro
•Brazeau and Conrad likely factor in more at the AHL level
•Korshkov (and maybe Brooks) might make the Leafs

Aberg is an RFA I expect the Leafs to keep. I think they like him enough to tender him an offer and I think he likes the close proximity between NHL and AHL. Doesn't get much better than that, and he won't get a better opportunity than what we can give him either.

So unless he wants to go back to Europe, I think he stays.

Kivihalme will likely get non-tendered. Too old, not good enough defensively for his age, and not good enough offensively either.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Aberg is an RFA I expect the Leafs to keep. I think they like him enough to tender him an offer and I think he likes the close proximity between NHL and AHL. Doesn't get much better than that, and he won't get a better opportunity than what we can give him either.

Kivihalme will likely get non-tendered. Too old, not good enough defensively for his age, and not good enough offensively either.
Agreed on Aberg. He earned another run with NHL money to play for the Marlies.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Meh, he didn't really get any better in the last year and a half. Maybe worth an AHL deal like @SeaOfBlue mentioned but nothing more than that.

He's worth a one-way NHL deal, but he won't be getting much time in the NHL. Not sure I would give him a two-year deal, but if he got one, the Marlies would find value out of him for two years.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Colton Poolman and Connor Mackey have also been signed.

Here is the full list of Free Agent Prospect signings so far:

LD Colton Poolman - CGY
LD Connor Mackey - CGY
RW Austen Rueschoff - NYR
LW Nate Sucese - ARI
LW Marc Michaelis - VAN
LW Cole Smith - NSH
C Ryan McGregor - ARI
LD Nick Wolff - BOS
LW Brandon Biro - BUF
LD Cam Lee - PIT
C/LW Drew O'Connor - PIT
C Patrick Khordorenko - NYR
LD Jared Rosberg - DAL
LD Jake Christiansen - CBJ
RW Bryce Kindopp - ANA

There are some good prospects on that list, but not many are better than what's currently out there nor better than many of the prospects we have in our system. Mostly guys who may be decent depth players in a few years, and we get those types of guys on AHL contracts every year. None of them made my original list of ELC's, and even when I did more research, maybe only 3 or 4 had the overall package and upside to warrant anything more than a competitive AHL contract.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

As far as Aberg is concerned... he stays or goes... whatever. As for Kivihalme... respectfully... I must be watching a different guy than you are. For me, he has definitely shown potential NHL quality this year... especially since Christmas.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
As far as Aberg is concerned... he stays or goes... whatever. As for Kivihalme... respectfully... I must be watching a different guy than you are. For me, he has definitely shown potential NHL quality this year... especially since Christmas.

He is at least a year behind where Rosen and Holl were in their development at the same age, and Rosen himself has only really shown to be a decent #7 option. I'd rather use his spot and opportunities on a younger defensemen with more upside and a better chance of actually becoming an NHL defenseman. Kivihalme will be 25 by the start of next season, and he still looks like he needs at least one or two more full years before he is NHL ready. Even a late bloomer like Justin Holl was a lot better than Kivihalme was at the same age. There are a lot better options out there.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Colton Poolman and Connor Mackey have also been signed.

Here is the full list of Free Agent Prospect signings so far:

LD Colton Poolman - CGY
LD Connor Mackey - CGY
RW Austen Rueschoff - NYR
LW Nate Sucese - ARI
LW Marc Michaelis - VAN
LW Cole Smith - NSH
C Ryan McGregor - ARI
LD Nick Wolff - BOS
LW Brandon Biro - BUF
LD Cam Lee - PIT
C/LW Drew O'Connor - PIT
C Patrick Khordorenko - NYR
LD Jared Rosberg - DAL
LD Jake Christiansen - CBJ
RW Bryce Kindopp - ANA

There are some good prospects on that list, but not many are better than what's currently out there nor better than many of the prospects we have in our system. Mostly guys who may be decent depth players in a few years, and we get those types of guys on AHL contracts every year. None of them made my original list of ELC's, and even when I did more research, maybe only 3 or 4 had the overall package and upside to warrant anything more than a competitive AHL contract.
I wonder if we'd be in on a guy like Noel Hoefenmeyer on an AHL deal. He very likely ends up like TJ Brennan because he can't skate but we're pretty thin on LD next year and he could take over the offensive role on the Growlers next year if Lindgren/Hollowell/Duszak are all on the Marlies.

26 goals and 82 points in just 58 games as a defensemen in the OHL you'd have to think multiple teams would take a flyer. Might just be holding out for an ELC.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
He is at least a year behind where Rosen and Holl were in their development at the same age, and Rosen himself has only really shown to be a decent #7 option. I'd rather use his spot and opportunities on a younger defensemen with more upside and a better chance of actually becoming an NHL defenseman. Kivihalme will be 25 by the start of next season, and he still looks like he needs at least one or two more full years before he is NHL ready. Even a late bloomer like Justin Holl was a lot better than Kivihalme was at the same age. There are a lot better options out there.
We'll agree to disagree on Kivihalme...

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Do the Leafs even have enough LD in the system, that Kivihalme would be holding back at this stage? You've got to have some experience on the Marlies Dcore

What does it look like to start the year next year?

Rosen Liljegren
Kivihalme Hollowel
Kral/Kokkonen Duszak maybe?

Kokkonen probably ends up staying in Finland another year anyway.. Unless we have plans on bringing a better AHL guy to the Marlies, I see no problem with keeping him... with Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin, it really doesn't appear as though we have any NHL spots for a couple of years anyway. Maybe he is looking for a better opportunity, but at least he's experienced depth, that knows the systems.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Do the Leafs even have enough LD in the system, that Kivihalme would be holding back at this stage? You've got to have some experience on the Marlies Dcore

Rosen Liljegren
Kivihalme Hollowel

Kokkonen probably ends up staying in Finland another year anyway.. Unless we have plans on bringing a better AHL guy to the Marlies, I see no problem with keeping him... with Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin, it really doesn't appear as though we have any NHL spots for a couple of years anyway. Maybe he is looking for a better opportunity, but at least he's experienced depth, that knows the systems.
Your missing Lindgren, and I think Liljegren is on the team next season.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Rosen Liljegren
Kivihalme Hollowel

I am not concerned about him blocking any prospects on LD necessarily. However what does he provide that is worth bringing him back? He's not going to be given nearly as many PP opportunities next year with Rosen and Duszak (as well as Hollowell and possibly Kral) on the team full time, not that he really produced much with it anyways (18 points in 55 games with 5 of them coming on the PP). He was okay defensively, but hardly someone I would use in the top 4 again, and at 25, he is not exactly a prospect anymore either.

If he would take an AHL deal, I would take him back and use him as a depth guy. Maybe he can split bottom pairing duties with Rubins in case Kral is not ready right away. That is pretty much his ceiling based on what I saw out of him last year. I would rather use his contract spot on either a higher end free agent prospect LD who is younger or a veteran UFA who can at least be a proven, high quality top 4 defensemen in the AHL, can help Duszak, Lindgren and Hollowell develop, and be a top end PKer. Kivihalme does none of that really.

Reactions: Fogelhund

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if we'd be in on a guy like Noel Hoefenmeyer on an AHL deal. He very likely ends up like TJ Brennan because he can't skate but we're pretty thin on LD next year and he could take over the offensive role on the Growlers next year if Lindgren/Hollowell/Duszak are all on the Marlies.

26 goals and 82 points in just 58 games as a defensemen in the OHL you'd have to think multiple teams would take a flyer. Might just be holding out for an ELC.

I'd take anyone with promise on an AHL deal. The only concern I have is which guys are really worth an NHL deal. In terms of the CHLers, there are a ton of guys I'd bring in for the Growlers, but I do not know how many would be good enough for the Marlies right away. Christansen may have been one. Hamblin, who is still out there and the Leafs liked enough to bring to their rookie camp, could be another. Remember that they are going to have to compete with a bunch of prospects we already have on AHL deals (Brazeau, Conrad and possibly Woods, Elynuik, etc.) as well as prospects like SDA, Stotts and Holmberg.

On that note, Linus Sandin, Rasmus' brother, is apparently getting some NHL interest. He is a bit older, but he has good size and scoring ability.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am not concerned about him blocking any prospects on LD necessarily. However what does he provide that is worth bringing him back? He's not going to be given nearly as many PP opportunities next year with Rosen and Duszak (as well as Hollowell and possibly Kral) on the team full time, not that he really produced much with it anyways (18 points in 55 games with 5 of them coming on the PP). He was okay defensively, but hardly someone I would use in the top 4 again, and at 25, he is not exactly a prospect anymore either.

If he would take an AHL deal, I would take him back and use him as a depth guy. Maybe he can split bottom pairing duties with Rubins in case Kral is not ready right away. That is pretty much his ceiling based on what I saw out of him last year. I would rather use his contract spot on either a higher end free agent prospect LD who is younger or a veteran UFA who can at least be a proven, high quality top 4 defensemen in the AHL, can help Duszak, Lindgren and Hollowell develop, and be a top end PKer. Kivihalme does none of that really.

Thanks for the explanation, can't disagree with that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Your missing Lindgren, and I think Liljegren is on the team next season.

Yes I did forget to list Lindgren, ... though, it isn't that relevant to the LD Marlies situation that was the focus of the discussion. We can debate Liljegren though. I'm very hopeful that he becomes a strong player for us one day, I'm just not fully convinced he's opening day lineup material yet. He has some room to grow to get there yet. Maybe he does by fall, maybe it's sometime next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad