Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'd take anyone with promise on an AHL deal. The only concern I have is which guys are really worth an NHL deal. In terms of the CHLers, there are a ton of guys I'd bring in for the Growlers, but I do not know how many would be good enough for the Marlies right away. Christansen may have been one. Hamblin, who is still out there and the Leafs liked enough to bring to their rookie camp, could be another. Remember that they are going to have to compete with a bunch of prospects we already have on AHL deals (Brazeau, Conrad and possibly Woods, Elynuik, etc.) as well as prospects like SDA, Stotts and Holmberg.

On that note, Linus Sandin, Rasmus' brother, is apparently getting some NHL interest. He is a bit older, but he has good size and scoring ability.
And is a right-shot that plays with a high battle level, something this bottom six could use more of. Linus is definitely on my list of summer Euro FA's that management should key in on. His skill will translate much better than Lindholm's, for comparisons sake.

Washington has reportedly been interested in Sandin since December and have scouted HV71 repeatedly (specifically Danny Brooks).

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
I am not concerned about him blocking any prospects on LD necessarily. However what does he provide that is worth bringing him back? He's not going to be given nearly as many PP opportunities next year with Rosen and Duszak (as well as Hollowell and possibly Kral) on the team full time, not that he really produced much with it anyways (18 points in 55 games with 5 of them coming on the PP). He was okay defensively, but hardly someone I would use in the top 4 again, and at 25, he is not exactly a prospect anymore either.

If he would take an AHL deal, I would take him back and use him as a depth guy. Maybe he can split bottom pairing duties with Rubins in case Kral is not ready right away. That is pretty much his ceiling based on what I saw out of him last year. I would rather use his contract spot on either a higher end free agent prospect LD who is younger or a veteran UFA who can at least be a proven, high quality top 4 defensemen in the AHL, can help Duszak, Lindgren and Hollowell develop, and be a top end PKer. Kivihalme does none of that really.
Jeezus Man! What did Kivihalme do to you exactly... steal your girlfriend or something? You're completely out to lunch on this player... fortunately the Leafs brass thinks much more highly of him than you do.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Jeezus Man! What did Kivihalme do to you exactly... steal your girlfriend or something? You're completely out to lunch on this player... fortunately the Leafs brass thinks much more highly of him than you do.

No, I watched him play and the numbers support what I have been watching. He's mediocre at best. What evidence do you have to the contrary?

And is a right-shot that plays with a high battle level, something this bottom six could use more of. Linus is definitely on my list of summer Euro FA's that management should key in on. His skill will translate much better than Lindholm's, for comparisons sake.

Washington has reportedly been interested in Sandin since December and have scouted HV71 repeatedly (specifically Danny Brooks).

They said that it could have been due to watching Helge Grans though. They have contacted Sandin already.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Stupid virus

Was really looking forward to seeing SDA and Robertson on a cup run

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Stupid virus

Was really looking forward to seeing SDA and Robertson on a cup run

I wanted to watch Sherbrooke finally have some success. They've had so many struggles through the early part of their franchise and they finally had a full, dominant team that could have won the entire thing. Now they invested a decent amount into this year and get nothing out of it... But at least they have a lot of top guys returning next year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As it says on twitter as a result of cancellation of playoffs and Memorial Cup, likely the end of junior careers for SDA, Stotts, and Kral and maybe even Bouthillier but probably not.
If Stotts or Kral get ELC's, we should hear about it in the coming months.
I feel Kral has done enough to get one. Whatever this means but apparently Kral outplayed Smith this season. Stotts I'm on the fence about, but considering his improved production and him being more of a two way player and a need for a centre in the system, he might get one.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As it says on twitter as a result of cancellation of playoffs and Memorial Cup, likely the end of junior careers for SDA, Stotts, and Kral and maybe even Bouthillier but probably not.
If Stotts or Kral get ELC's, we should hear about it in the coming months.
I feel Kral has done enough to get one. Whatever this means but apparently Kral outplayed Smith this season. Stotts I'm on the fence about, but considering his improved production and him being more of a two way player and a need for a centre in the system, he might get one.

Id give both ELC’s tbh. Really like Kral. I’d rather take a chance on a guy like Stotts in the AHL than some random older AHL player.

Given our lack of center depth, they could give SDA a nice spot in the AHL lineup if they wanted him.

with the speculation the new NHL-CHL partnership will allow 19 year olds to play in the AHL, Robertson could be joining the Marlies next year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Id give both ELC’s tbh. Really like Kral. I’d rather take a chance on a guy like Stotts in the AHL than some random older AHL player.

Given our lack of center depth, they could give SDA a nice spot in the AHL lineup if they wanted him.

with the speculation the new NHL-CHL partnership will allow 19 year olds to play in the AHL, Robertson could be joining the Marlies next year.
I'm pretty much with you on giving both ELC's.

Todd03

May 28, 2016
They have have 7 seven players they can sign not including 8 to 10 undrafted college, russian and chl free agents.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
No, I watched him play and the numbers support what I have been watching. He's mediocre at best. What evidence do you have to the contrary?
Same as you... just watching nearly every home game. Kivihalme isn't real flashy... but he's a good strong skater and he handles the puck reasonably well. He's certainly much closer to the Leafs line-up than Duzsak and Hollowell. The latter two are both flashier with the puck, but have little idea how to play without it. I hope that they will both improve in this area... but right now, Kivihalve is a vastly superior all round defensemen. Don't forget, he's already played at an all-star (and at a National Team) level in the Finnish league... against men. He's easily the most NHL ready d-man that the Marlies have right now... Gravel might get there as well if he can somehow overcome his health issues.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

Part of the Marlies great success over the past several years has been the ability to sign real solid pros to sprinkle throughout the line-up at all positions. MLSE spends freely in this area specifically because it sees the benefits in having the veterans help to develop their younger players... and obviously because they can easily afford to do it as well. The magic seems to have run out this year... as most of the veterans signed for 19/20 have disappointed (other than Agostino)... and the most talented players (Bracco and Petan) clearly don't seem to want to be there.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Interesting

I really liked the pick. Surprised he went as late as he did. We'll see how he does in Minnesota starting next year. One posiitive going his way is that while there are a lot of high profile defensemen on the team, none of them really did all that well last year. So if he shows up, puts in the work, and tries to be the best, he has a realistic shot at being a top pairing guy for them right out of the gate.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I really liked the pick. Surprised he went as late as he did. We'll see how he does in Minnesota starting next year. One posiitive going his way is that while there are a lot of high profile defensemen on the team, none of them really did all that well last year. So if he shows up, puts in the work, and tries to be the best, he has a realistic shot at being a top pairing guy for them right out of the gate.
I am excited to see how he does next season in the NCAA. A good season and he will climb our prospect ranks.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Interesting

He's in the same boat as Hollowell and Duszak imo, his ability to defend as he climbs levels is going to decide his usefulness

As we've seen, you can only carry so many defensive liabilities and the ability to defend goes a long way towards advancing you career at the next level

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
In other prospect new, Pontus Holmberg has signed a 2yr extension with Vaxjo: Holmberg klar för två nya år

I wonder if this increases the chances of the Leafs signing Riley Stotts, as I could have seen these two fighting for the same roster spot (3C) on the Marlies next season.

I had a feeling that was likely what was going to happen. Let him continue developing and get minutes in the SHL rather than have to fight for minutes on the Marlies. Perfectly fine with that decision, and I am sure the Leafs are too.

That takes him to the end of the Leafs' rights ownership, and by that time we can make a decision on him. If he develops properly, he'd be immediately propelled into a more prominent AHL role, if not even get a shot at the NHL.

I think the Leafs sign Riley Stotts. The question is how they line everything up? SDA and Stotts could split center duties, but do they do that in the top 9 or on the 4th line? If they do it on the 4th line, does Elynuik return as a depth guy? He looked like he was ready for full time 4C duties, and he is still pretty young (only turning 23 at the end of this year). He would still fit in very nicely into a rotation, and may still get a good amount of opportunities (he played 53 games last year, although that was with a sub-par team lacking quality depth), but if we are trying to develop Stotts and SDA on that 4th line too, it may be tough to put the full amount of time and effort into him. Does that also mean the Marlies look to invest in another top 9 center beyond Brooks and Kossila? There are not too many prospect Free Agent options from the NCAA or Europe, so it would likely be a solid two-way all around veteran. I'd be fine with that.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He should definitely go back to school. If not for one, maybe two years. Develop slowly. He's a late bloomer.

If he has a similar or better season than this year (which essentially means he is in Hobey Baker conversations, if not winning it), he's likely getting signed after his sophomore year.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I had a feeling that was likely what was going to happen. Let him continue developing and get minutes in the SHL rather than have to fight for minutes on the Marlies. Perfectly fine with that decision, and I am sure the Leafs are too.

That takes him to the end of the Leafs' rights ownership, and by that time we can make a decision on him. If he develops properly, he'd be immediately propelled into a more prominent AHL role, if not even get a shot at the NHL.

I think the Leafs sign Riley Stotts. The question is how they line everything up? SDA and Stotts could split center duties, but do they do that in the top 9 or on the 4th line? If they do it on the 4th line, does Elynuik return as a depth guy? He looked like he was ready for full time 4C duties, and he is still pretty young (only turning 23 at the end of this year). He would still fit in very nicely into a rotation, and may still get a good amount of opportunities (he played 53 games last year, although that was with a sub-par team lacking quality depth), but if we are trying to develop Stotts and SDA on that 4th line too, it may be tough to put the full amount of time and effort into him. Does that also mean the Marlies look to invest in another top 9 center beyond Brooks and Kossila? There are not too many prospect Free Agent options from the NCAA or Europe, so it would likely be a solid two-way all around veteran. I'd be fine with that.
I'm interested in the defence. Assuming both Sandin and Lilly makes the Leafs, then it could be a young defence again.

Lindgren(he needs to be on the top pair. He has shown he ready for an increased role. All though not sure Moore likes him too much)
I think both Hollowell and Duszak are full time members. Hollowell still has time on his side but Duszak needs a big year with the Marlies. Not sure of the plans with Kivihalme. Kral plays a factor if signed. They might add a veteran defenceman too. All though things change if unexpectedly even one of Sandin and Lilly go back to the Marlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad