Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Just watched highlights from last nights Halifax vs Saint Johns game.

Poirier is an absolute mess defensively.

Whenever Villeneuve has to take a shift with Poirier, he's being put with a guy thats wreckless and making poor decisions.

I hope the appropriate blame gets put on him when trying to evaluate WV's defensive game.

Reactions: cookie

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What does everybody think about Timothy Liljegren's future with the Leafs organization? The path to regular NHL employment has certainly gotten longer with all the bodies Toronto has added and the lack of developmental time and in game reps this fall cannot be good for him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Whenever Villeneuve has to take a shift with Poirier, he's being put with a guy thats wreckless and making poor decisions.

I hope the appropriate blame gets put on him when trying to evaluate WV's defensive game.

They played Charlottetown last night.

Villeneuve is easily the best defenseman on that team, at least defensively. He is constantly having to cover for other guys' mistakes.

The only thing that sucks right now is his production, but hopefully that picks up.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
They played Charlottetown last night.

Villeneuve is easily the best defenseman on that team, at least defensively. He is constantly having to cover for other guys' mistakes.

The only thing that sucks right now is his production, but hopefully that picks up.

Ya good call it was Charlottetown. Game I looked at was the previous saturday.

They got lit up again tonight for 5 goals.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
What does everybody think about Timothy Liljegren's future with the Leafs organization? The path to regular NHL employment has certainly gotten longer with all the bodies Toronto has added and the lack of developmental time and in game reps this fall cannot be good for him.

Believe he's exempt from the expansion draft, so if they lose someone there he becomes more important.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He just had a 20 year old season similar to Shea Theodore in terms of PPG at the AHL level with a more polished defensive game. He'll be fine. Not as good of a skater but still very much trending towards being a top 4 defensemen despite what Toronto media says about him.

The long layoff will likely hurt everybody but I imagine if he doesn't make the team he'll be loaned somewhere to play if the AHL is a no go. Sounds like our players have still been using the training facility and I imagine our specialized coaches are going to a lot of these guys personal gyms/ ice sessions in order to keep the development going.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

A RHD prospect is more valuable than a LHD prospect with the same abilities. They're going to stick with him a long time IMO. It wouldn't be out of the question that it takes another couple of years for him to become a full time NHL defender, another AHL season then a year as an 7th/8th defenseman at the NHL level.

Playing somewhere over not playing at all is of course preferable. As far as I'm concerned Liljegren's development at this point isn't about physical or skill development, it's about the game play. In particular game play on the small NA ice surface. There's too much time and space on the big ice surface in the SEL. Liljegren's tendency is a split second delay in reacting that probably isn't punished as much on the large ice surface. If he were to just stay active playing spirited scrimmages on the NA ice surface in lieu of AHL games amongst the Leafs' taxi squad, I think that might be more beneficial.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
That's a really hard question to answer. The main advantage that Liljegren always had going for him - being right handed - shrunk somewhat when Brodie signed... and will shrink even more if Dermott or Lehtonen (or both) display an ability to play well on the right side. I should also mention that right hander Mac Hollowell is climbing up the depth chart behind Liljegren fairly quickly.

It's possible that Liljegren could be a prime candidate to be included in a deadline trade for reinforcements as next year's playoffs approach. Ironically, the better Liljegren plays for the Marlies this season (assuming that's where he starts), the more likely it would be that he'd be a guy that other teams would ask for. The way that the defense is organized right now, it's just hard to see an NHL role (barring injuries) for Liljegren in the upcoming season. Toronto's plans for the Seattle expansion draft might also become a factor here... because some NHL calibre defensemen will have to be left exposed as things stand right now.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Holl is all but guaranteed to be Toronto’s expansion draft casualty so there will be a wide open spot for Lilly next season at 4D

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's a really hard question to answer. The main advantage that Liljegren always had going for him - being right handed - shrunk somewhat when Brodie signed... and will shrink even more if Dermott or Lehtonen (or both) display an ability to play well on the right side. I should also mention that right hander Mac Hollowell is climbing up the depth chart behind Liljegren fairly quickly.

It's possible that Liljegren could be a prime candidate to be included in a deadline trade for reinforcements as next year's playoffs approach. Ironically, the better Liljegren plays for the Marlies this season (assuming that's where he starts), the more likely it would be that he'd be a guy that other teams would ask for. The way that the defense is organized right now, it's just hard to see an NHL role (barring injuries) for Liljegren in the upcoming season. Toronto's plans for the Seattle expansion draft might also become a factor here... because some NHL calibre defensemen will have to be left exposed as things stand right now.
You could make a stronger case that Sandin might be getting expendable with Rielly, Muzzin ahead of him.
It doesn't matter though. Neither him and Lilly are going anywhere. We will need players like these with our cap structure.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I find it interesting that neither Sandin or Liljegren have been loaned to the SHL yet. Like, neither will be in our top 7, and we don't know if/when the AHL is going to be able to start.

While we'd want one or both around the team when the season starts, we don't even know when that will be.

Spot on. Dubas dropped the ball and now with the AHL’s start date being moved from Dec 4 to January (at the earliest), an SHL move would have paid huge dividends for both prospects.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dubas talked about that, not Sandin/Lil specifically, but he was asked about loaning more players. The obstacle appears to be that; teams don't want to take on players, who won't commit to a full season.

SHL season ends in March.

AHL season isn’t starting until January (at the earliest).

I really don’t see the big deal for two guys who Dubas doesn’t seem to be pencilling in to the top 6.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Spot on. Dubas dropped the ball and now with the AHL’s start date being moved from Dec 4 to January (at the earliest), an SHL move would have paid huge dividends for both prospects.
Didn't the SHL put in a rule about players needing to play a full season in order to come over?

If so I can see why we didn't loan these two. If we face injuries like we did last year which is likely with a condensed season, Sandin/Liljegren are the next two on the depth chart. I really don't want to see Marincin or Rosen get games this season.

Sandin/Liljegren are still probably getting specialized training/skills sessions with our development staff and I have no doubt they'll be ready to play when the AHL or NHL seasons start.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

ill very surprised if either one makes it to the nhl

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Miettinen as the 4th ranked prospect is interesting. The article about this kid on the Athletic got my ears perked up and excited to see his progress in the next few years as he's definitely got a nose for the net
which, the one by Scott Wheeler? I like him, but I'm not sure he's ahead of Hallander. I also don't know about Amirov over Robertson. The Leafs do definitely have a good and very deep prospect pool, so a lot really just comes down to personal preference

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I like how you are quick to assign blame here. They need a team willing to give up roster spots for part time players who can leave at any point, and somehow that is a fail on Toronto's GM?

It's a normal take from you and as usual, wrong.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I like how you are quick to assign blame here. They need a team willing to give up roster spots for part time players who can leave at any point, and somehow that is a fail on Toronto's GM?

It's a normal take from you and as usual, wrong.
Nope. Dubas wasn't pulling enough strings. Glasses!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
11th with Sandin excluded is extremely good, although I am not sure about some of his rankings

Miettinen is a very underrated prospect (I had him going in the 3rd or 4th round) but he is not a top 5 or even top 10 guy in this pool, even without Sandin included in there.

He could end up being one of the better value guys though. Really depends on how well he can stand out in St. Cloud. He should easily be a top 6 guy on day 1 and could possibly be their top scorer right away if all goes well.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
which, the one by Scott Wheeler? I like him, but I'm not sure he's ahead of Hallander. I also don't know about Amirov over Robertson. The Leafs do definitely have a good and very deep prospect pool, so a lot really just comes down to personal preference
Agreed, I can't agree on the Amirov over Robertson, and can't see Miettinen ahead of Hallander either, at least not yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad