Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As a little help to those that don't follow the Leaf Prospects that closely who would be considered;

Top 5 Forwards

Top 3 Defensemen

Top 2 Goalies

** if we could leave this thread for a day or two before merging with the Marlies thread that would be appreciated.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Forwards

1. Robertson
2. Barabanov
3. Abramov
4. Korshkov
5. Der-Arguchintsev/Abruzzese

Defense

1. Sandin
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen

Goalies

1. Woll
2. Scott

Reactions: Funk21 and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Forwards

1. Robertson
2. Barabanov
3. Abramov
4. Korshkov

Defense

1. Sandin
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen

Goalies

1. Woll
2. Scott
Interesting the lack of North Americans.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I looked at the list and thought... Don Cherry is going to hate this. I mean, we might as well go with Roberstov too... lol
Lol...those 'ovs' jump right off the page.

** before anyone looses a noodle, I don't care where players come from.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Forwards

1. Robertson
2. Barabanov
3. Abramov
4. Korshkov

Defense

1. Sandin
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen

Goalies

1. Woll
2. Scott

What is the consensus on Korshkov nowadays anyway?

He's 23, forwards have to start showing something by this age or there's a very good chance they're not amounting to much.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What is the consensus on Korshkov nowadays anyway?

He's 23, forwards have to start showing something by this age or there's a very good chance they're not amounting to much.

@stickty111 has a good series in the Marlies/Prospects thread on players.

IMO, Korshkov is a cheap depth player, useful to have, but not too hard to replace either. Maybe he can find a way to utilize his size more, but he's had moments where he's looked good, and then meh.

This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#6.
W. Yegor Korshkov
Overview

The big guy comes in at 6. You could make a case for him to be lower, but he is close to NHL ready and decent enough potential. Korshkov was drafted in the Matthews draft in 2016 at 31st overall. This pick got a lot of criticism to put it lightly as it was an off the board pick, and this was his 3rd draft after going undrafted in 2 previous drafts. People have lightened up a little since, as he has developed, but still a big question mark if he should have went there. Korshkov in his long KHL career has been a solid producer despite not a huge role. His PPG showed improvement in each season for the most part, aside from the last year. His numbers weren’t jumping off the page though, which you probably want to see as he played more seasons. He also was injury prone in the KHL which really hurts a player’s development. He went over to the Marlies during the playoff run last season, where he scored a goal but wasn’t all that noticeable. This season Korshkov has played well, and been a good player for the Marlies. He was called up the Leafs for game as well and scored his 1st NHL goal, and didn’t look out of place. He has a chance to make the big club next season, but his highest potential is likely in a 3rd line role. The problem despite all this is that he is 23, and will be 24 this July, so he is running out of time. He has shown he is a solid player, but he still isn’t deserving of the 2nd round selection.

Stats

2018/2019
KHL
GP: 19
Goals: 3
Assists: 2
Rating: +1
TOI: 13:57

2019/2020
AHL
GP: 44
Goals: 16
Assists: 9
Rating: +11

Statistical Analysis

In his last 3 years, Korshkov played around 13 minutes of TOI which is 3rd line ice time. Aside from the last season, his numbers were solid around 0.50 PPG, which is decent but a tad unspectacular. As a result, it does put a damper on his last season where he only had 5 points in 19 games. The games however were limited as he got hurt at the start of the season. His shots/GP also stayed relatively consistent at just under 2/game. Honestly I didn’t know what to make of his KHL production. This season after playing 9 playoff games for the Marlies last year in the end, he started his regular season AHL career, and he has scored 16 goals in 44 games, which is really good. This places him 3rd on the Marlies in goals, with 4 on the PP, and 2 on the PK. His shot rate pretty much matches his KHL rate, so he is pretty much the same player, except he is more of a goal scorer in the AHL.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades:
Present/Future
Skating: 3/3
Shot: 3/3
Puck Skills: 3.5/3.5
Defence: 3/3
Compete: 3.5/3.5
IQ/Smarts: 3.5/3.5

There were conflicted reports on his skating ranging from it’s an issue, to he skates fine. Watching him, I don’t have a huge issue with it, as he seems to move around alright for his size, but his skating is average. I like it more in tight spaces then in the neutral zone, but he does need to improve it to raise up a level as a player, but I don’t see it happening. At times he shows good breakaway speed, and it surprises you, but it doesn’t come up a lot. This might be because he doesn’t get to use it too much, but still work is required in his overall skating.

For such a big guy, he has decent skill. He can make some nice passes when he has the puck in the offensive zone, and it was something scouts thought he really stood out which was playmaking. Truthfully I haven’t seen it too much with the Marlies, so it makes you question how much it actually translates to North America, but he does have some moments. He is a fine puck handler too, and can hold on to in corners, and shows off some decent vision from time to time. As a result, his hands are alright too but again not amazing. His shot I would say is average, and score from the mid slot if you give him time and space, but I don’t think he is doing many snipes in the NHL, as he requires some time and space, and if doesn’t have it, he isn’t scoring too many goals. His hands in tight are good, and is a big part why he might pot a few.

Another average category, as I don’t think he will hurt you defensively, but it’s also not something he will help you a lot in. He can play some PK which does help.

I haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary for his compete, but he does play with an effort level you like to see, and I do like his willingness in front of the net, so he gets a 3.5 here.

I give him an above average grade. I find he reads the game well, and does make the right decisions on the ice. He won’t do something that he can’t do, and just plays the way he is best known for.

My future projection: There isn’t much that stands out at all. He did play well if not amazingly with the Marlies, but I still have some doubts on him. I think he makes an NHL roster, but more as a depth option. He is high on this list because he is close to NHL ready, and the guys behind him are still much further away.

NHL Player? Yes. He is right on the cusp so am saying yes.
Thoughts @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue? People won't like this one:laugh:

Reactions: IPS

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Forwards

1. Robertson
2. Barabanov
3. Abramov
4. Abruzzese
5. Korshkov

Defense

1. Sandin
2. Liljegren
3. Lindgren

Goalies

1. Woll
2. Scott

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Maybe Abbruzzese should be higher, I don't know. No NCAA draft pick ever by the Leafs has had a better freshman season than Abbruzzese had in 2019-20.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs top 10 prospects statistically. (in the system)

2019-2020 Skater stats

No. Country PlayerTeam LeagueGP -G ATP -PPG -Pims -
6.png
Nicholas Robertson (C/LW) Peterborough Petes
3.png
OHL
46 55 31 86 1.87 40 29
9.png
Mikhail Abramov (C/RW) Victoriaville Tigres
3.png
QMJHL
63 35 41 76 1.21 20 2
9.png
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (C) Peterborough Petes
3.png
OHL
55 12 63 75 1.36 23 11
3.png
Riley Stotts (C) Calgary Hitmen
3.png
WHL
64 25 43 68 1.06 34 14
6.png
Joseph Duszak (D) totals 57 12 41 53 0.93 58 -3
Newfoundland Growlers
16.png
ECHL
34 9 26 35 1.03 34 8
Toronto Marlies
16.png
AHL
23 3 15 18 0.78 24 -11
6.png
Kenny Agostino (LW/C) Toronto Marlies
16.png
AHL
53 27 22 49 0.92 36 -6
2.png
Mikko Lehtonen (D) Jokerit
9.png
KHL
60 17 32 49 0.82 20 26
8.png
Filip Král (D) Spokane Chiefs
3.png
WHL
53 12 37 49 0.92 8 18
1.png
Pontus Åberg (LW/RW) Toronto Marlies
16.png
AHL
55 20 24 44 0.80 36 2
6.png
Nicholas Abruzzese (C) Harvard Univ.
6.png
NCAA
31 14 30 44 1.42 4 8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Lauro

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
As a little help to those that don't follow the Leaf Prospects that closely who would be considered;

Top 5 Forwards

Top 3 Defensemen

Top 2 Goalies

** if we could leave this thread for a day or two before merging with the Marlies thread that would be appreciated.

FORWARDS
#1 Robertson will make the Leafs out of camp
#2 Adam Brooks will make Leafs out of camp(4th line center)
#3 Barabanov will make leafs out of camp
#4 Korshkov will make Leafs out of camp
#5 Abramov is best prospect not to make the team next season.
DEFENSE
#1 Sandin will make leafs out of camp (unless some big movement happens) trades/Ufa
#2 Lehtonen will make the team(most veteran rookie)
#3 Liljegren but could end up involved in a trade.
Goaltenders
#1 Ian Scott
#2 Joseph Woll. Both are years away.

Last edited:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
*Excluding players over 25 (Barabanov, Lehtonen, etc.)

Forwards:
1. Robertson
2. Abramov
3. Korshkov
4. Bracco
5. Abruzzese

Defense:
1. Sandin
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen

Goalies:
1. Woll
2. Scott

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Maybe Abbruzzese should be higher, I don't know. No NCAA draft pick ever by the Leafs has had a better freshman season than Abbruzzese had in 2019-20.

Beyond just looking either the Leafs or Freshman seasons, it stacks up very well league wide as a U21 (true Junior) season. 17th best points per game since the 05 lockout for U21 seasons, comes in above the likes of Gaudette, Bjork, Heinen, Terry for recent notable late bloomers/ depth picks that made it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Forwards:
1. Robertson
2. Abramov
3. Korshkov
4. SDA
5. Abruzzese
HM: Bracco

D:
1. Sandin
2. Liljegren
3. Lehtonen
4. Kokkonen
5. Lindgren
HM: Kral, Kivihalme, Duzsak

G:
1. Woll
2. Scott

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
FORWARDS
#1 Robertson will make the Leafs out of camp
#2 Adam Brooks will make Leafs out of camp
#3 Barabanov will make leafs out of camp
#4 Korshkov will make Leafs out of camp
#5 Abramov is best prospect not to make the team next season.
DEFENSE
#1 Sandin will make leafs out of camp (unless some big movement happens) trades/Ufa
#2 Lehtonen will make the team(most veteran rookie)
#3 Liljegren but could end up involved in a trade.
Goaltenders
#1 Ian Scott
#2 Joseph Woll. Both are years away.

You think well have 6 rookies next season?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Clear and unequivocal top 3 a tier (or several) above the rest
Sandin/Robertson/Liljegren

Forwards
Abramov
Korshkov
Abbruzzese
Brooks
Holmberg/SDA

Defense
Kokkonen
Lindgren
Hollowell/Kral/Koster

Personally, I think Abramov is in a tier on his own just below the big 3. What he has done this season is impressive, almost doubled the points of the next leading scorer on his team.

Reactions: Logic and Myopic

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You think well have 6 rookies next season?
I see cap being a major issue for sure in my mind. I’m thinking lots of change change Lehtonen and Barabanov are not rookies to expierence so technically yeah. :)

There needs to be change. Sandin and Robertson seem pretty much locks. Korshkov wasting @ $925,000 doesn’t make sense.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I see cap being a major issue for sure in my mind. I’m thinking lots of change change Lehtonen and Barabanov are not rookies to expierence so technically yeah. :)

I would say Robertson would be a long shot, Korshkov is the first injury call up and Brooks has 0 chance.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would say Robertson would be a long shot, Korshkov is the first injury call up and Brooks has 0 chance.
I will bet on Brooks taking Goats spot. He’s just a better player. You could be right on the money he doesn’t make it. He’s my long-shot,not Robertson.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

He's by no means a lock, but I'd say well above 0 for 4C or 13F. He wasn't out of place last season, is super smart and hardworking, has been trending well, and has the ability to be the perfect swiss army knife depth player.

If it weren't for his injuries this season I could easily see him and Engvall being flipped right now. He's better at everything but size and straight line speed.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Brooks is useful as the 5th centre with our lack of centre depth. Top Marlie and injury replacement.

Counting on him or GOAT as a productive 4th line centre is not a good idea.
I would love a 2020 version of an Eric Fehr type.
A useful PK veteran

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's by no means a lock, but I'd say well above 0 for 4C or 13F. He wasn't out of place last season, is super smart and hardworking, has been trending well, and has the ability to be the perfect swiss army knife depth player.

If it weren't for his injuries this season I could easily see him and Engvall being flipped right now. He's better at everything but size and straight line speed.
He’s flying under most posters radar. A few of us see it coming ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad