Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Awesome, will be an interesting tournament.

Canada will benefit from guys like Lafreniere and Byfield who would have most likely been in the show in a normal year, European players have actually been playing hockey, so they have a leg up as well.

They may not be available since NHL camps will be going on at that time more than likely.

Kakko is also likely unavailable.

We may also not see Robertson, but the Leafs may let him go since he is less of a lock.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Awesome, will be an interesting tournament.

Canada will benefit from guys like Lafreniere and Byfield who would have most likely been in the show in a normal year, European players have actually been playing hockey, so they have a leg up as well.

If the NHL starts January 1st as currently planned those guys won't be there. In fact if that NHL start comes to fruition I would expect less guys than a normal year as guys like Cozens, Drysdale, Quinn, Perfetti will probably be wanted at NHL camps by their teams. Hopefully most of them get released, but getting used to the NHL enviroment in a training camp setting can be valuable and it's the worst possible timing with the WJC and training camps. For some of the guys like Mercer, and Jarvis who we know for sure won't make their NHL team they'll probably be sent, but some guys listed above do maybe have a shot, NHL teams won't care about the WJC in that case, they'll want to see if their top pick can hack it in training camp and exhibition games.

Maybe the NHL start gets pushed back.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It is actually nice to see lots of Leafs prospects being considered for their countries. I feel like there was a long stretch where we had 1-2 guys playing on like Canada and that was it.

Gotta imagine the chance to represent your country is an invaluable experience. Doesn’t make or break you, but many players have said that it’s the first time they feel like “wow I have a legit shot at the NHL”.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I get kind of a Verhaeghe/McKegg vibe from Brooks. I feel like he will hang around awhile and see some significant NHL time. Even if he doesn't get his break through with Toronto. Not bad for a mid round pick.
I think it is fair to say that a player who gets any time in the NHL after round 3 is a win.

I’d argue that even a high end AHL player can still be a win overall for your franchise... especially if the team has a strong development program that the player becomes a key part of.

Reactions: The Nic

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think it is fair to say that a player who gets any time in the NHL after round 3 is a win.

I’d argue that even a high end AHL player can still be a win overall for your franchise... especially if the team has a strong development program that the player becomes a key part of.

Yeah you don't have Liljegren get cup run experience unless you have a couple Brooks types in the organization at all times.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Surprised Ovichinnikov could not crack this roster, although he seems to not be playing much recently, so maybe he is hurt.

Abramov does not surprise me. Even without Covid, he is not going to travel from the QMJHL for a 4 day tournament.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I wonder if Canada will consider Owen Power, or Shane Wright?

Leafs with as many as six-eight potential players at the WJC, is pretty good. (if they do expanded rosters)

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Lol Finland has a player named Brad Lambert?

He is the son of a Canadian and has Canadian citizenship, but has only played in Finland.

As of right now, he is a future top 3 pick in 2022 and if he was available in this draft (he is a late 03') instead of the Shane Wright draft, he would be the easy consensus 1st overall right now (although partially due to there not being a consensus #1 in 2021).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Lol Finland has a player named Brad Lambert?

He's in the running for top pick in the 2022 draft. His Dad was born in Saskatchewan, and played pro in Europe.

The Blades felt it was worth the gamble by picking Lambert should he ever decide to return to his second ‘home’ to play for the Blades like his father, Ross, once did back in the early 1980s and his uncle, Lane, had also done.

Lambert, a 2003-born forward from Finland, has Saskatchewan roots. Lambert, whose uncles include former NHLer Lane Lambert and current Saskatoon Contacts coach Dale Lambert, spent the 2015-16 season in Saskatoon with the Saskatoon pee wee AA Kodiaks before returning to Finland.

It will likely be a contest between Lambert,Matthew Savoie or Shane Wright, as to who goes first in 2022.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/thre...-savoie-and-lambert-the-next-great-draft-trio

First, let's address the elephant in the room: he's born to a Canadian father and a Finnish mother

Reactions: hockeynorth

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He is the son of a Canadian and has Canadian citizenship, but has only played in Finland.

As of right now, he is a future top 3 pick in 2022 and if he was available in this draft (he is a late 03') instead of the Shane Wright draft, he would be the easy consensus 1st overall right now (although partially due to there not being a consensus #1 in 2021).

Note, he played in Saskatchewan in the 2015-16 season, in Saskatoon with the Saskatoon pee wee AA Kodiaks before returning to Finland.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I find it interesting that neither Sandin or Liljegren have been loaned to the SHL yet. Like, neither will be in our top 7, and we don't know if/when the AHL is going to be able to start.

While we'd want one or both around the team when the season starts, we don't even know when that will be.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I find it interesting that neither Sandin or Liljegren have been loaned to the SHL yet. Like, neither will be in our top 7, and we don't know if/when the AHL is going to be able to start.

While we'd want one or both around the team when the season starts, we don't even know when that will be.
Odd for sure. And Dubas has mentioned there are no imminent plans for prospects to head overseas at this point.

Would have liked to see SDA head over to the KHL.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
My bad if this was already posted. Russia is taking a junior team to the Karjala Cup this year in anticipation of the 2020-21 WJC.

Reactions: Cor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just noticed the Oilers homer voting 2 of their prospects in the top 20 NHL prospects poll. Imagine if Leafs did that, neckbeards would be whining for weeks about it.

The main boards voted Kyle Dubas the second worst GM in the league. Even his biggest detractors here, wouldn't say that's accurate.

The main boards voted Auston Matthews the most overrated player in the league. You know, the guy who outside of Ovechkin, has scored the most at even strength since entering the league?

Nick Robertson just had the highest Goals Per Game in an OHL season by an 18 year old EVER. OF ALL-TIME, NO ONE has scored at a higher rate in their 18 year old season. At this rate, the main boards won't vote him into the top 30 prospects in the league.

The main boards are a cesspool. They intentionally vote or not vote Leafs just to "stick it to the Leafs".

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Dubas talked about that, not Sandin/Lil specifically, but he was asked about loaning more players. The obstacle appears to be that; teams don't want to take on players, who won't commit to a full season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

That's the nice thing about drafting only 4'10 95 pound midgets, they'll probably benefit more from an extended offseason in the gym than they will from playing 10 AHL/SHL games before someone gets injured and they're called up.

Reactions: cookie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad