Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't disagree that Toronto got some great value picks for where we drafted, and Dubas did a great job.. but the message seems to be..

Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Jarventie, Kleven, Sokolov, et al, < Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemale et al...

I mean, is there a single Leafs fan, who wouldn't trade all of Ottawas 2020 draft picks, for all of our 2o20 draft picks?

I'd trade every single one of our 2020 picks for Ottawa's #3 + 5 picks alone, that doesn't mean too much. I'd probably do it for just #3 honestly.

If every one of our picks became an average (700 GP middle-6/bottom-4/platoon G) NHLer, that would be one of, if not the best, draft of all time from a scouting perspective. If Ottawa's draft turns out to be an Art Ross/Richard winner Stutzle + 9 guys who never make the NHL at all, I'd still take Ottawa's draft over ours even though ours is technically "better" since we got 10x the games played out of it than Ottawa did. Ottawa is more likely to come out of this draft with 1 or 2 core pieces for the next decade, we're more likely to come out of the draft with a handful of middle-6 guys that will give us cheap ELC production over the next 5 years.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Lehtonen is honestly such a wildcard.
He is looking more and more like a guy who will definitely help us.
He looks like someone that could play anywhere from a #6 to potentially maybe a #3 that has the ability to play on a top pairing if hes the second best player on pairing (because he apparently can play RHD).

If he can transition and become a difference maker, we'd have 4 very good D and tons of depth options to fill bottom roles.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder what the deadline is for NHL teams to draft undrafted players to contracts. I know there’s usually a certain date and after that they re-enter the draft.

Id like the Leafs to consider Rhett Rhinehart. He had a really good rookie year in the WHL last year and then this year had a decent start but then got traded and never seemed to adjust afterwards.

I think he needs help developing his skating and Barb Underhill is one of the best at doing so.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
Could be.
Also Kloke has Liljegren no 5 on his prospects list. All these people dropping him could look pretty silly in a couple years.

he also has kokkonen at 3 which is the highest i've ever seen him rated among our prospects.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I like this guys stuff for the most part. He seems to think we're gonna have 2/3 of the top line on Russia, and the 3rd string goalie.

Thinks Ovchinnikov is a notable cut.

Ovichinnikov is not good enough yet, and it likely won't matter who the backup is since they likely will never get ice time over Askarov.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I like this guys stuff for the most part. He seems to think we're gonna have 2/3 of the top line on Russia, and the 3rd string goalie.

2 of our top 5 prospects imo

man that top line is going to be unreal. The Leafs should have some good representation this year

Plenty of Finns and Robertson if he's released

Makes the WJC a must watch for me even though I don't have any allegiance to any of the country's competing

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I have to say. Russia defence is probably my biggest blind spot. But I know only 1 of those guys. How good is that D group?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Could be.
Also Kloke has Liljegren no 5 on his prospects list. All these people dropping him could look pretty silly in a couple years.
Yea I still have no idea how you have an age 20 season similar to Shea Theodore and your prospect rating goes down to the point where people call him a bust lol

Theodore burst onto the scene at the NHL level with 8 points in 19 games, but he also played 19 minutes a night and got PP time right away.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He already did Finland.

I think Miettinen would be a lock for this forward group if he was playing in Finland right now. He's chosen to go the NCAA route and isn't playing hockey at the moment with the COVID shutdown. Hurts his chances a great deal.

The European teams are definitely going to have a leg up in this tournament.

Reactions: Magic Man and Morgs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Normally at least 2 goalies play for a team.

They usually only play one game (if they play back-to-back) unless the starter sucks.

I wouldn't care much if Akhtyamov plays one game against likely a poor team on a back-to-back.

EDIT: I would rather he just continues to play in the KHL or even VHL. That is better for his NHL development at this point.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He already did Finland.

Loponen could get in over Puutio, but I would rather he not. He's not playing unless someone gets hurt, and I would rather have him playing in the U20 league at that time than sitting in the press box.

I imagine guys like Tieksola, Petman, Pyyhtia, and Mantykivi are not going to make it over Lambert, Miettinen, Nikkanen, and Jarventie unless the first four have really improved their defensive games (which I doubt). Helenius may also not make it, but he is at least big and is solid in his own end so I can see it. Tieksola, Petman, Pyyhtia, and Mantykivi are more offensive guys and nowhere near as good as Miettinen, Jarventie and Lambert, while Nikkanen is also probably better while also being a large center.

Puistola-Lundell-Miettinen
Parssinen-Hirvonen-Simontaival
Jarventie-Raty-Raty
Saarela-Nikkanen-Lambert
Helenius/Tieksola

Same defense and goalies.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Loponen could get in over Puutio, but I would rather he not. He's not playing unless someone gets hurt, and I would rather have him playing in the U20 league at that time than sitting in the press box.

I imagine guys like Tieksola, Petman, Pyyhtia, and Mantykivi are not going to make it over Lambert, Miettinen, Nikkanen, and Jarventie unless the first four have really improved their defensive games (which I doubt). Helenius may also not make it, but he is at least big and is solid in his own end so I can see it. Tieksola, Petman, Pyyhtia, and Mantykivi are more offensive guys and nowhere near as good as Miettinen, Jarventie and Lambert, while Nikkanen is also probably better while also being a large center.

Puistola-Lundell-Miettinen
Parssinen-Hirvonen-Simontaival
Jarventie-Raty-Raty
Saarela-Nikkanen-Lambert
Helenius/Tieksola

Same defense and goalies.

The extras play in the WJC do they not? You can ice your entire roster of 20 skaters. Whether he's sitting on the bench all game or getting 4 minutes might not differ much, but he won't be in the press box.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Ovchinnikov is likely not good enough to crack the team. Russia favours older guys and guys like Nikolayev and Gritsyuk are more likely to crack the top 12 than Ovchinnikov right now, and I would rather not have him just sit around. He could easily be a top 6 guy next year so we just have to wait until then.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Do people expect there to be a WJC this year?

I guess they're playing hockey in Europe right now, but I would have guessed it would probably be cancelled.

I will be stoked if there is a WJC.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The extras play in the WJC do they not? You can ice your entire roster of 20 skaters. Whether he's sitting on the bench all game or getting 4 minutes might not differ much, but he won't be in the press box.

I don't think so... Definitely not goaltenders, but maybe you can ice an extra skater? Fairly sure you can't but I could be wrong.

Either way, sitting on the bench all game or playing 4 minutes is not much better than sitting in the press box. I'd rather he continue to get minutes in the U20 league.

Besides, apparently he plays LD in Finland despite being a RHD so he has no chance (getting in over Heinola, Kokkonen and Viro) if that carried over to the National Team.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Do people expect there to be a WJC this year?

I guess they're playing hockey in Europe right now, but I would have guessed it would probably be cancelled.

I will be stoked if there is a WJC.

I am fairly sure it has been confirmed, but it will just be in a bubble.

TV is probably a huge source of revenue for them anyways so they probably won't get hurt as bad as the NHL.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I am fairly sure it has been confirmed, but it will just be in a bubble.

TV is probably a huge source of revenue for them anyways so they probably won't get hurt as bad as the NHL.

Awesome, will be an interesting tournament.

Canada will benefit from guys like Lafreniere and Byfield who would have most likely been in the show in a normal year, European players have actually been playing hockey, so they have a leg up as well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think so... Definitely not goaltenders, but maybe you can ice an extra skater? Fairly sure you can't but I could be wrong.

Either way, sitting on the bench all game or playing 4 minutes is not much better than sitting in the press box. I'd rather he continue to get minutes in the U20 league.

Besides, apparently he plays LD in Finland despite being a RHD so he has no chance (getting in over Heinola, Kokkonen and Viro) if that carried over to the National Team.

Yeah they do. Here's the boxscore from Canada/USA last year. Jamie Drysdale played 8:27 as the extra defenceman, while Dawson Mercer played 1:01 as the extra forward, likely because of the importance of that game. In general I feel like the extra D tends to get more time than extra forwards. But 1:01 is still abnormally low I think.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/wm20/gamecenter/playbyplay/9613/4-can-vs-usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad