Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I remember as a young man going with my father to watch the Nova Scotia voyagers. They had a tall gangly defense man and I said to my dad that guy skates funny I don’t think he has a chance to make the NHL. My dad said with his size and reach if he puts it all together he will certainly be an NHL player.
The name of the kid was Larry Robinson.
Not saying this kid will be a future hall of famer but looks are deceiving.

• Love
Reactions: Lauro and ULF_55

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Antropov looked like a horrible skater, but it wasn't as bad as it looked.
I saw games where showed his top end speed and it was better than some skaters who looked good.

Didn't help him with the knee injury/injuries.

Nik came to our shinny one time when he was here. We had the first full Russian speaking club. He looked so awkward but the speed was so surprising

Reactions: ULF_55

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I remember as a young man going with my father to watch the Nova Scotia voyagers. They had a tall gangly defense man and I said to my dad that guy skates funny I don’t think he has a chance to make the NHL. My dad said with his size and reach if he puts it all together he will certainly be an NHL player.
The name of the kid was Larry Robinson.
Not saying this kid will be a future hall of famer but looks are deceiving.
Sure, but that was a different time, even when Chara did too, game has gotten a lot faster now.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Draft eligible goalie, who isn't very big by NHL standards, but has played very well in the KHL. If he's around for one of our 4th/5th round picks, why not?
I haven't seen him play but numbers are numbers. The last undersized goalie with huge numbers I was pushing for was Dustin Wolf and he's been an absolute stud ever since. With one of those picks, you have to consider it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Surely this gets him a contract. Seems like he has met the targets the team would have set for him to evidence progress. And it's not like our cupboard is overflowing with grade A prospects.
I don't think 40g in a D+2 season guarantees him anything. He was a 33g scorer as a 17 year old and went in the 7th round. The shot is what got him drafted at all. He didn't grow 3" taller so if he is a legit prospect he has to have improved his game in other areas. If he is a step quicker, if he doesn't get rubbed out much, and if his play away from the puck has improved then maybe. Luckily for us we should get a chance to see him and Minten in the post season against some high end competition.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Looks slow and skating is iffy but to be fair he is a big dude. Hopefully he develops into a reliable bottom pair penalty killer.
Really don't all giant guys look slow? When they don't they are drafted in the 1st round like Oleksiak. I think this guy will be a lot close to Hal Gill than Zdeno Chara but thats fine because you don't get Chara for a 6th right? He is 23 so not a lot more organic growth there. I think a 6-7 unless he has rage issues :) He could be a player but probably not the guy some are hoping for.

Reactions: Apex Predator

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Really don't all giant guys look slow? When they don't they are drafted in the 1st round like Oleksiak. I think this guy will be a lot close to Hal Gill than Zdeno Chara but thats fine because you don't get Chara for a 6th right? He is 23 so not a lot more organic growth there. I think a 6-7 unless he has rage issues :) He could be a player but probably not the guy some are hoping for.
There is a huge difference between hoping for and expecting.

Why wouldn't every Leafs fan hope for Pronger or Chara?

My guess Leafs fans would be thrilled to get a player who can play in the NHL in any capacity.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is a huge difference between hoping for and expecting.

Why wouldn't every Leafs fan hope for Pronger or Chara?

My guess Leafs fans would be thrilled to get a player who can play in the NHL in any capacity.

Leafs players and prospects seem to fall into two categories for a portion of the fan base. Incredible elite talents, and bums.... there is no inbetween for people who are contributors at lower levels in the org.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Some team should sign Ruslan Gazizov of the London Knights.

Lots of skill, can really shoot the puck, top 15 in goals scored in the OHL this season

An old scouting report before this breakout season.

Left shooting Centre-wing import from Russia to London in the OHL. Coach Dale Hunter starts his transition to the North American rink by starting him as a wing. Once he is more accustomed and comfortable it seems obvious he is of more value as centre. A superb stickhandler with ultra-quick hands, a terrific skater with a combination of speed, and east-west agility. He has shown he is smart in three zones, and is sturdy built and shakes off defenders easily. An excellent passer, with good anticipation and feel in the attack zone. Gives teammates more time to break to open ice. Strong defensively at stealing pucks and then making pin point passes to them while they are breaking onward into dangerous areas. Has a neat toe-drag move. He is always in the correct space position-wise. A imaginative playmaker who creates loads of chances.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Left shooting Centre-wing import from Russia to London in the OHL. Coach Dale Hunter starts his transition to the North American rink by starting him as a wing. Once he is more accustomed and comfortable it seems obvious he is of more value as centre. A superb stickhandler with ultra-quick hands, a terrific skater with a combination of speed, and east-west agility. He has shown he is smart in three zones, and is sturdy built and shakes off defenders easily. An excellent passer, with good anticipation and feel in the attack zone. Gives teammates more time to break to open ice. Strong defensively at stealing pucks and then making pin point passes to them while they are breaking onward into dangerous areas. Has a neat toe-drag move. He is always in the correct space position-wise. A imaginative playmaker who creates loads of chances.
Never heard of this kid but bases on that Trevling should be all over this guy.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

How can we sign him
Is he a free agent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad