Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The best part is he can skatefor someone 6 6' 7" he could probably slide in at forward if need be

11 forwards
7 dman

So what's his story?

Born Jan 5 2001 -- Weston, MA
Played: Penticton Vees, BCHL

After the draft, he spent a season with the Penticton Vees, a junior “A” hockey team in the British Columbia Hockey League. Webber was in Penticton from August 2019 to February 2020.

“It was a little bit of culture shock. Obviously it's (Penticton) a hockey town and has about 30,000 people in winter and 100,000 in summer,” Webber said. “In winter we sell out at about 4,500 a game. Even just walking in public people will notice you, stop to talk to you and say hi. It opened my eyes to some new things and it was a fun experience.”

Webber suffered a lower body injury in Penticton that required surgery and ended his season early.

Reactions: horner

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
So, Tre’s scouting the NCAA up close.

Who’s worth signing?

Graf sounds like the consensus best player, but has been linked to Detroit, I think.

Any plug and play D? C’s?
After Marner and Nylander, the right wing depth is not that great. Maybe they can convince Graf of a potential right wing spot on the 3rd line.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
After Marner and Nylander, the right wing depth is not that great. Maybe they can convince Graf of a potential right wing spot on the 3rd line.
I agree with you about the right side, Tverberg is pretty much the only prospect of note (depending on where Greb and Cowan fit best) though I like shooters like like McMann and Robertson on their off wing.
I thought Graf was more of a LW? Edit: I was labouring under a misunderstanding; RW/C, RH shot. Good size. Really tearing it up for the second year in a row. I’m sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So, Tre’s scouting the NCAA up close.

Who’s worth signing?

Graf sounds like the consensus best player, but has been linked to Detroit, I think.

Any plug and play D? C’s?

Jacob Quillan and Christian Fitzgerald are centers I think probably among the favourites. Not many really good free agent defenders but I'm sure there's a few that would be ok.

Cooper Black is a 6'9" goaltender likely getting a lot of looks.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Considering how much of a factory for solid middle 6 pieces the Marlies have been it’s weird the amount of doubt everyone has about guys like this.
So far Robertson, Engvall, McMann, Holmberg, Moore, Marchment, Grundstrom, Anderson, Carccone. I hope Steeves gets a shot with us rather than just letting him walk or giving him away for nothing.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
So what's his story?

Born Jan 5 2001 -- Weston, MA
Played: Penticton Vees, BCHL

After the draft, he spent a season with the Penticton Vees, a junior “A” hockey team in the British Columbia Hockey League. Webber was in Penticton from August 2019 to February 2020.

“It was a little bit of culture shock. Obviously it's (Penticton) a hockey town and has about 30,000 people in winter and 100,000 in summer,” Webber said. “In winter we sell out at about 4,500 a game. Even just walking in public people will notice you, stop to talk to you and say hi. It opened my eyes to some new things and it was a fun experience.”

Webber suffered a lower body injury in Penticton that required surgery and ended his season early.
Dear Lord! If that was noteworthy imagine the culture shock if he does sign with the Leafs.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I've not been overly impressed with Brad's entire body of work as GM thus far, but I do like this particular acquisition. By no means is Cade a shoo in for the NHL, in fact I'd still say he has a long way to go. From that highlight pack, specifically that diving poke check defending the B-way, it really looks like he has cement in his skates. That said, he profiles out to be a player that could fill a very specific need for us in the near future.

It was well worth the risk of the 6th rounder used to acquire him IMO.

We really just need the kid to keep developing a strong stick, and eat rubber. There have been plenty of defensemen who have had very lengthy careers of mastering the high and hard off the glass and out, and playing sound defense. Lets hope he can be that for us one day.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I think if Webber buckles down with our pro development resources, works a bit on the speed and stick work, just a bit better and he's likely fine.

The highlights are not sexy at all but it's defense.
His ceiling at this point is bottom pair, but given his physical tools is still a unique commodity.

His skating has to come a long way for him to be an NHLer, so it's a long shot. Realistically though, if he finishes the season with the Marlies, plays a year in the AHL, and proves he can handle the pace at the pro level, he doesn't have to develop much else to be a zero offense Benoit on the 3rd pair.

Would like to see Webber-Niemela.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

The reach is incredibly long and disruptive and that's great. I am concerned about the skating. I wasn't expecting much but to me it looked... awful. Maybe that is a bit too harsh but it looked like a struggle for him to get around. Yet in front of the net, he was always in a good spot. So maybe he has that figured out.

Reactions: supermann_98

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The reach is incredibly long and disruptive and that's great. I am concerned about the skating. I wasn't expecting much but to me it looked... awful. Maybe that is a bit too harsh but it looked like a struggle for him to get around. Yet in front of the net, he was always in a good spot. So maybe he has that figured out.

Dude is big.

Keep this in mind....about Chara..

When he first entered the NHL with the Islanders in 1997, many scouts wondered how long he would last in the league because skating wasn’t one of his strengths. To his credit, Chara has worked his entire career to improve that skill. He’s made significant progress.

A guy that big, it's going to take some time for him to really reach his potential. He definitely needs to work on the skating though, but that's to be expected. Man is he ever disruptive though, with his reach and physicality. In the end, the cost is a 6th rounder... which has like a 5% chance of being a NHLer, so good gamble.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dude is big.

Keep this in mind....about Chara..

When he first entered the NHL with the Islanders in 1997, many scouts wondered how long he would last in the league because skating wasn’t one of his strengths. To his credit, Chara has worked his entire career to improve that skill. He’s made significant progress.

A guy that big, it's going to take some time for him to really reach his potential. He definitely needs to work on the skating though, but that's to be expected. Man is he ever disruptive though, with his reach and physicality. In the end, the cost is a 6th rounder... which has like a 5% chance of being a NHLer, so good gamble.

Antropov looked like a horrible skater, but it wasn't as bad as it looked.
I saw games where showed his top end speed and it was better than some skaters who looked good.

Didn't help him with the knee injury/injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad