Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Are you his brother or something? You are making a mountain out of a molehill, most people don't care here.

I've seen you post many times defending him and yelling at people who don't exist on this board.

What character does he have? Genuinely curious, can you point to any scenario?

If he got in cause he brings a quality that helps our teams or development, great, he should.

Congrats to all of them.
I have no relation to him at all. I also didn't even know he existed until last Saturday TBH. I just don't think it's appropriate to throw stones at a kid who made a clean hit in pursuit of his dream.

It's a level of competitiveness this entire board has wanted/demanded from our current group of players. We seem to have a kid showing that willingness to compete and a healthy amount of people on this board and the internet have been shitting on him for it. All because he knocked out a B level prospect.

The uproar he caused on the weekend off of a clean hit was absurd IMO. Again, if the hit were reversed, and Hirvonen layed out an undrafted invite, the entire narrative would have been the exact opposite.

I think that's why I've been so passionately defensive of Dillingham. I'm tired of our organization/media/fanbase putting our star players and prospects on a pedestal. Treat all the players the same in how we critique them. Roni wasn't wearing a non-contact jersey nor did he have the number 99 on the back. He is fair game.

If we want to instill competitiveness it starts at the grassroots IMO. I am happy to see our organization is rewarding that type of play TBH

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1689351491887.png

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
1689351476009.png

Not exactly a profile that jumps off the page at you. 3 years in a shitty Jr-A league followed by OK to good numbers at a shitty D1 program. Yet that never stopped juice from getting to where he wanted to go.

Never underestimate a players willingness to compete and adapt their game to achieve their dream.

By no means am I putting Dillingham in my top 25 prospects for the Leafs. Not even close. But I will never be mad at our organization employing players who are ready to put it all on the line

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1689351933964.png

1689351884398.png

This his how you gamble on smaller players by signing them as "free wallets" ..

Jackson scored 48 goals & 81 points in 62 games in the WHL last season, and 46 goals in 62 games the year prior.

Leafs own drafted prospect in comparison.

1689352178463.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Twine Tickler

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Would be great if 1 or even 2 of these AHL contract guys could play their way into an NHL deal at some point. The organization has done well with these in the past.

Say what you want about Holl (I didn't love him either) but he was one of these guys at one point and turned it into a pretty good payday.
100%

Anyone who says differently is just factually incorrect. Holl is a major success story all things considered. After being drafted relatively high, he was let go from his drafted organization and grinded out over 250 regular season games in the minors before becoming a mainstay in the show.

Say what you will about Holl, but those type of success stories are great examples to illustrate to all of your prospects.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
View attachment 728858

View attachment 728857

This his how you gamble on smaller players by signing them as "free wallets" ..

Jackson scored 48 goals & 81 points in 62 games in the WHL last season, and 46 goals in 62 games the year prior.

Leafs own drafted prospect in comparison.

View attachment 728862
If the point you are trying to make is that the drafted one is much better, then you'd be correct.

If the point you're trying to make is anything else, another failed attempt at criticizing the organization by you. Bravo.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I didn't know about this Dillingham player or that incident until an hour ago (amazing what happens when you can't browse Twitter any longer.) Most of these AHL signings mean nothing but some do lead to ELCs eventually (Holl, Marchment, McMann, Rubins, Rifai). The self-appointed prospect experts on social media never seem to get it right about which ones are the ones who earn the ELCs, quite often they have a history of being especially dismissive along the way about the specific ones that do "make it".

As for that incident, unless it was a non-contact scrimmage then you can not like it all you like but it was clearly legal contact. I'll say this in favour of those condemning the incident: there probably is an unspoken understanding that you don't blast someone else wearing the same logo on his chest as you, it's just poor form as a teammate regardless of the situation and regardless of whether you think a contract is on the line.

And yes that was an upsetting concussion, he was clearly unconscious before he hit the ice. But let's get real about the nature of pro contact sports, he put himself in that position with his head down cutting to the middle. If it didn't happen here at the scrimmage, it would have happened in one of his early games in the AHL. I hope he recovers fully and learns what went wrong.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
View attachment 728851

Not exactly a profile that jumps off the page at you. 3 years in a shitty Jr-A league followed by OK to good numbers at a shitty D1 program. Yet that never stopped juice from getting to where he wanted to go.

Never underestimate a players willingness to compete and adapt their game to achieve their dream.

By no means am I putting Dillingham in my top 25 prospects for the Leafs. Not even close. But I will never be mad at our organization employing players who are ready to put it all on the line

How many full games have you watched of his? What is his compete level? I just find it weird to make sweeping claims about how he plays from one play.

It sounds like you've seen one play and began telling everyone he has crazy compete and character based on your previous post about not knowing him before that scrimmage.

I don't care if he is signed to an AHL deal if his play is good enough, great, but this obsession our board now has with likely a career ECHLer is odd.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't know about this Dillingham player or that incident until an hour ago (amazing what happens when you can't browse Twitter any longer.) Most of these AHL signings mean nothing but some do lead to ELCs eventually (Holl, Marchment, McMann, Rubins, Rifai). The self-appointed prospect experts on social media never seem to get it right about which ones are the ones who earn the ELCs, quite often they have a history of being especially dismissive along the way about the specific ones that do "make it".

As for that incident, unless it was a non-contact scrimmage then you can not like it all you like but it was clearly legal contact. I'll say this in favour of those condemning the incident: there probably is an unspoken understanding that you don't blast someone else wearing the same logo on his chest as you, it's just poor form as a teammate regardless of the situation and regardless of whether you think a contract is on the line.

And yes that was an upsetting concussion, he was clearly unconscious before he hit the ice. But let's get real about the nature of pro contact sports, he put himself in that position with his head down cutting to the middle. If it didn't happen here at the scrimmage, it would have happened in one of his early games in the AHL. I hope he recovers fully and learns what went wrong.

He was being reckless the day before in drills, I thought he would get crushed if it wasn't in a scrimmage type setting and boy was I wrong, he still got crushed.

Maybe it's a lesson like Andreas Johnsson learned when he came over, difference of a game versus scrimmage but North America is far more hostile, you need to be aware and on guard.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why is that?

He's not good... maybe the Leafs see some untapped potential, but just from looking at his stats, he will be nothing more than an ECHLer. I'd be curious to see recent examples of someone that unproductive in Jr at the age of 20, and making it to the NHL level.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
How many full games have you watched of his? What is his compete level? I just find it weird to make sweeping claims about how he plays from one play.

It sounds like you've seen one play and began telling everyone he has crazy compete and character based on your previous post about not knowing him before that scrimmage.

I don't care if he is signed to an AHL deal if his play is good enough, great, but this obsession our board now has with likely a career ECHLer is odd.
Never made sweeping claims. In fact I openly said I didn't know he existed until las Saturday. I know nothing about his character other then the fact that he was unanimously voted captain by his peers and that he won the Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy which I can only assume are both things that speak to his character.

I've also said I know nothing about his actual game other than the one hit, and what I've read about him.

His trajectory appears to be limited to the minors at this point. But so were many other before him. Both of which I have openly stated as well.

Not sure where the confusion is TBH.

The scouting staff saw something in him. Judging by his pt totals in Jr it was likely not his skill with the puck. I am assuming the competitiveness I have read about, and saw on that 1 play is the reason they signed him. Never claimed to be an expert on him or any of our prospects for that matter.

Reactions: andora

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Never made sweeping claims. In fact I openly said I didn't know he existed until las Saturday. I know nothing about his character other then the fact that he was unanimously voted captain by his peers and that he won the Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy which I can only assume are both things that speak to his character.

I've also said I know nothing about his actual game other than the one hit, and what I've read about him.

His trajectory appears to be limited to the minors at this point. But so were many other before him. Both of which I have openly stated as well.

Not sure where the confusion is TBH.

The scouting staff saw something in him. Judging by his pt totals in Jr it was likely not his skill with the puck. I am assuming the competitiveness I have read about, and saw on that 1 play is the reason they signed him. Never claimed to be an expert on him or any of our prospects for that matter.

I am wondering about the obsession with a likely career ECHL player, it seems extremely odd, that is the confusion.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's not good... maybe the Leafs see some untapped potential, but just from looking at his stats, he will be nothing more than an ECHLer. I'd be curious to see recent examples of someone that unproductive in Jr at the age of 20, and making it to the NHL level.

Have you ever watched him play, or just looking at his stats?

The Leafs scouting staff would have seen quite a bit of him, given he played with Voit.

Maybe he turns into nothing more than an ECHLer, but the Growlers need players too, including physical defenseman.

We sign multiple players every year, most with no hope of ever contributing to the Leafs, this is no different. It seems that the only reason he’s attracted more attention than most is that hit.

It’s literally a no big deal type of thing. Bottom line is we need players for the Growlers, Marlies and Leafs. Our scouting staff, who have watched him many times saw something that they thought could contribute at some level. If you are just looking at stats, you won’t get the whole story. I highly doubt he’s been brought in, or been given awards previously for his scoring prowess anyway.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If the point you are trying to make is that the drafted one is much better, then you'd be correct.

If the point you're trying to make is anything else, another failed attempt at criticizing the organization by you. Bravo.
Voit is younger and produced much better numbers. It's not even close really.
The smart organizations have learned not to judge on size.
Why is that?
Last thing we need is someone trying to make a point by injuring his own teammate on a unnecessary hit.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am wondering about the obsession with a likely career ECHL player, it seems extremely odd, that is the confusion.
My obsession is not with him specifically. It is about employing a organizational standard that rewards competitiveness. Not rewarding players based on draft position, or in Nolan's case, the lack thereof.

None of us know Dillingham's game at all, my self especially. But it appears to me at least we are rewarding his willingness to compete vs. his statistical output. Which I believe is a positive step in the right direction.

It's probably what we should have done when we had the likes of Mitch, Auston, Willy, Brown, and Hyman all coming up the ranks together. Instead we treated the first 3 like they were untouchable, and the last 2 like they were expendable. It doesn't inspire an all for 1, team mentality.

I was a big fan of Dubas, but one thing that Treliving has done far better in his short time as GM already is making it known that the core 4 is not the Leafs. All 23 men are the Leafs. No one player is more important than the next. Of course, in that team, there are different skillsets. But, no player should get preferential treatment.

By signing a guy like Dillingham, it also sends a message to Hirvonen and the rest of the group that was in attendance at that camp. Show up, no matter the setting, and you will be rewarded. Clearly management felt like Nolan displayed that. Because they clearly did not sign him based on his puck skills judging by his stats.

Reactions: weems and andora

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm really not seeing any obsession. I'm seeing a handful of posters commenting and speculating on a new player that just signed with the organization
My obsession is not with him specifically. It is about employing a organizational standard that rewards competitiveness. Not rewarding players based on draft position, or in Nolan's case, the lack thereof.

None of us know Dillingham's game at all, my self especially. But it appears to me at least we are rewarding his willingness to compete vs. his statistical output. Which I believe is a positive step in the right direction.

It's probably what we should have done when we had the likes of Mitch, Auston, Willy, Brown, and Hyman all coming up the ranks together. Instead we treated the first 3 like they were untouchable, and the last 2 like they were expendable. It doesn't inspire an all for 1, team mentality.

I was a big fan of Dubas, but one thing that Treliving has done far better in his short time as GM already is making it known that the core 4 is not the Leafs. All 23 men are the Leafs. No one player is more important than the next. Of course, in that team, there are different skillsets. But, no player should get preferential treatment.

By signing a guy like Dillingham, it also sends a message to Hirvonen and the rest of the group that was in attendance at that camp. Show up, no matter the setting, and you will be rewarded. Clearly management felt like Nolan displayed that. Because they clearly did not sign him based on his puck skills judging by his stats.

After seeing one play.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Voit is younger and produced much better numbers. It's not even close really.
The smart organizations have learned not to judge on size.

Last thing we need is someone trying to make a point by injuring his own teammate on a unnecessary hit.

Of course, that's how he plays. That's the way he's always played. He played for Sarnia, same team as Voit, so our scouts saw him play many times.

That's why he was brought to camp, that's why he was signed. He's a leader, has won awards for it, and plays a hard, physical style. We could use more of that.

It's unfortunate what happened in camp, but that's how the kid plays, and the team knew that before camp. In all likelihood, they were interested in him well before camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad