Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Does anyone know if Nikita Grebyonkin aka Nikita Grebenkin has an individual prospect info thread similar to Easton Cowan?

Gotta love Grebyonkin's intensity shown and willingness to fight for teammates in the video below (#71 in blue)

I truly feel like the Leafs prospect pool (especially top 3~ Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin imho) is underrated league wide and dare I say it even by Leafs nation 😳 lol

I believe all 3 of these guys will be top 6 nhl forwards or better in the not so distant future

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Does anyone know if Nikita Grebyonkin aka Nikita Grebenkin has an individual prospect info thread similar to Easton Cowan?

Gotta love Grebyonkin's intensity shown and willingness to fight for teammates in the video below (#71 in blue)

I truly feel like the Leafs prospect pool (especially top 3~ Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin imho) is underrated league wide and dare I say it even by Leafs nation 😳 lol

I believe all 3 of these guys will be top 6 nhl forwards or better in the not so distant future

I disagree with you on Minten, but I can see what you're saying about the other two. This is how I have them projected.

Cowan: A Travis Konecny type, bonafide top 6 right wing. A future All Star caliber player.

Grebenkin: A more physical Ilya Mikheyev type middle 6 winger that can add reasonably impactful scoring to your 2nd / 3rd line and second PP unit. 15-20 goals and 35-40 points every season.

Minten: A quality bottom 6 center that can add some offense and plays a responsible, 200 foot game. Charlie Coyle and Jordan Staal are players that come to mind as upside comps.

Last edited:

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I disagree with you one Minten, but I can see what you're saying about the other two. This is how I have them projected.

Cowan: A Travis Konecny type, bonafide top 6 right wing. A future All Star caliber player.

Grebenkin: A more physical Ilya Mikheyev type middle 6 winger that can add reasonably impactful scoring to your 2nd / 3rd line and second PP unit. 15-20 goals and 35-40 points every season.

Minten: A quality bottom 6 center that can add some offense and plays a responsible, 200 foot game. Charlie Coyle and Jordan Staal are players that come to mind as upside comps.
Well, that was the whole point of my post, most people share a similar view to you it seems...

I disagree with your Minten and Coyle comparison but the Minten and (mostly top 6 other than behind Malkin and Crosby) Stall one seems more likely to me... I wouldn't be surprised if Minten is the Captain of the Leafs one day as well... he's a moral/psychological leader of his peers naturally and that's one of his greatest traits

Only time will tell I suppose, cheers

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Well, that was the whole point of my post, most people share a similar view to you it seems...

I disagree with your Minten and Coyle comparison but the Minten and (mostly top 6 other than behind Malkin and Crosby) Stall one seems more likely to me... I wouldn't be surprised if Minten is the Captain of the Leafs one day as well... he's a moral/psychological leader of his peers naturally and that's one of his greatest traits

Only time will tell I suppose, cheers
Minten was barely over ppg in junior this year. I as well as the majority on here that you're referring to, don't think he has the offensive upside or IQ to be that top 6 guy. Nothing wrong with that. If he becomes a Jordan Staal or Coyle, that's still a good player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Minten was barely over ppg in junior this year. I as well as the majority on here that you're referring to, don't think he has the offensive upside or IQ to be that top 6 guy. Nothing wrong with that. If he becomes a Jordan Staal or Coyle, that's still a good player.

Minten will be a stajan. And that’s great. We want a peca but I don’t think he’s mean. Hopefully he can be a 20/20 shut down C with character.

horner

May 22, 2007

What I like most about these players is there compete level
They are all willing to stand up if need be fight .

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I disagree with you on Minten, but I can see what you're saying about the other two. This is how I have them projected.

Not to nitpick but Coyle and Staal are worlds apart.
Coyle was recently traded for Donato and a 4th that became our own Cade Webber.

Staal is a Selke calibre centre every season

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

I think history shows that we likely overrate our prospects (as every fan of every team does). Look through the top 10 prospect lists for the last 15 years, you'll see what I mean, most don't make it, even the ones were quite excited for.

I'm a big believer in Cowan, I think his game will translate really well to the NHL. The way he forechecks and takes space away from opposing d-men is incredibly useful in the NHL. I'm not convinced he's going to be a huge point producer in the NHL but a versatile player that can play anywhere in the top 9 forward group. He's on such a dominant junior team (which he is obviously a huge part of) that I think it's a touch harder to judge his season but the momentum he's created since last season's playoff, through the pre-season this year and such an amazing season for the Knights is incredibly encouraging.

As long as Minten can stick at C and be a trusted player in that position he'll be very useful. Even 3rd line Cs and the best 4th line Cs are worth 1st round picks these days. I personally think our lack of C options behind Matts and JT has been a pretty big issue for the team since Kadri left.

Greb, I'm not really sure on outside of stat watching. Probably will hold judgement until he plays some games in the AHL.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think history shows that we likely overrate our prospects (as every fan of every team does). Look through the top 10 prospect lists for the last 15 years, you'll see what I mean, most don't make it, even the ones were quite excited for.

I'm a big believer in Cowan, I think his game will translate really well to the NHL. The way he forechecks and takes space away from opposing d-men is incredibly useful in the NHL. I'm not convinced he's going to be a huge point producer in the NHL but a versatile player that can play anywhere in the top 9 forward group. He's on such a dominant junior team (which he is obviously a huge part of) that I think it's a touch harder to judge his season but the momentum he's created since last season's playoff, through the pre-season this year and such an amazing season for the Knights is incredibly encouraging.

As long as Minten can stick at C and be a trusted player in that position he'll be very useful. Even 3rd line Cs and the best 4th line Cs are worth 1st round picks these days. I personally think our lack of C options behind Matts and JT has been a pretty big issue for the team since Kadri left.

Greb, I'm not really sure on outside of stat watching. Probably will hold judgement until he plays some games in the AHL.
My ceiling for these to is

Cowen 20 g 40 a 60 pts PP PK playing on the top 2 lines Agitating player
Minten 15 g 30 a 45 pts PK 60 FO % a shutdown C

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Not to nitpick but Coyle and Staal are worlds apart.
Coyle was recently traded for Donato and a 4th that became our own Cade Webber.

Staal is a Selke calibre centre every season
I did a poor job of presenting that "upside" as a range. What I was trying to communicate is that I see Charlie Coyle as a likely upside comp, where as Jordan Staal would be a best case scenario, homerun, comp.

I can appreciate that my post doesn't communicate that well.

Reactions: The Iceman

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Ppg doesn't always tell the tale... so I'm higher on Minten than you, again, that was sorta' the point of my post 📫

Go check out Poitras junior numbers and how well he's doing for Boston now in his rookie year

Reactions: horner

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
What I like most about these players is there compete level
They are all willing to stand up if need be fight .
True, all thing's being equal, it's one of the most important intangible attributes any hockey player could have : )

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

Yes usually Leafs fans overrate and overhype all prospects but that doesn't seem to be the case for Minten and Grebyonkin... I'm just saying I believe these guys will surprise and be better than what seems to be the common perception of them league wide and to Leafs nation as of right now... obviously only time will tell but I'm just sharing my personal pov regarding the Leafs prospect pool 🎱

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ppg doesn't always tell the tale... so I'm higher on Minten than you, again, that was sorta' the point of my post 📫

Go check out Poitras junior numbers and how well he's doing for Boston now in his rookie year
Sure... the guy in the OHL who put up 95 points, for 1.51PPG in his D+1 is supposedly a comparison to the guy who put up 1.12 PPG in the WHL?

You calculate their NHL e, and Poitras comes up with 40, and Minten 28.

This really isn't a good comparison at all.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Sure... the guy in the OHL who put up 95 points, for 1.51PPG in his D+1 is supposedly a comparison to the guy who put up 1.12 PPG in the WHL?

You calculate their NHL e, and Poitras comes up with 40, and Minten 28.

This really isn't a good comparison at all.
Never compared the two directly... and you're cherry picking Poitras numbers to 1 season not his overall ohl career... typical move by posters lol

All I am saying is a player only averages ppg or 1.5ppg or whatever in ohl/whl isn't the best way to evaluate future talent...

Thanks for understanding, cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3