2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 20 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
9-12
If this was possible, I would do this without a doubt. I do wish this happened but really doubt it would. I'd even take 13-15th overall.

Reactions: hawksrule and plank

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Besides the handedness, for me Buium has a better chance to develop more defensive chops while Parekh has more of a danger of being just offense. I don't think either are ever a lock down shut it down guy in their own end, but I suspect Buium has a chance to be serviceable at least and fear Parekh may not.
I don't disagree with that.

I think Parekh has a higher offensive ceiling than Buium though. Parekh is a better skater too.

Those factors give him an edge for me.

If this was possible, I would do this without a doubt. I do wish this happened but really doubt it would. I'd even take 13-15th overall.
Tack on that bum Lukas Reichel and we can easily move into that range

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Like most drafts there's a sweet spot to draft players. It feels like there is a pretty steep drop-off from 17-25 range for me. Then there is a flat tier where you can put 30-40 names up from picks 25-65. Last year there was a significant dip from picks 9-22 and then it flattened heavily from pick 22-62 for me. I like the depth and the top 5 of last years draft a bit more, but players in the 9-22 range are of much higher quality this year. It feels like there is a lot more blue chip prospects with a lesser quality top 5 comparative to last year. A slightly above average class for me

1Macklin Celebrini
2Ivan Demidov
3Zeev Buium
4Cayden Lindstrom
5Artyom Levshunov
6Zayne Parekh
7Anton Silayev
8Tij Iginla
9Konsta Helenius
10Sam Dickinson
11Berkly Catton
12Carter Yakemchuk
13Beckett Sennecke
14Michael Brandsegg Nygard
15Michael Hage
16Yegor Surin
17Trevor Connelly
18Adam Jiricek
19Cole Eiserman
20Liam Greentree
21Igor Chernyshov
22Cole Hutson
23Andrew Basha
24Emil Hemming
25Dominik Badinka
26Nikita Artamonov
27Terik Paracsak
28Marek Vanacker
29Matvei Gridin
30EJ Emery
31Raoul Boilard
32Alfons Freij
33Sam O'Reilly
34Jesse Pulkinnen
35Sacha Boisvert
36Stian Solberg
37Jett Luchanko
38Adam Jecho
39Teddy Stiga
40Cole Beadoin
Looking at the NHL CS final rankings, imagine if they got Demidov at 2, Hage at 20, Surin at 34, and Hutson in the late 2nd. Whew

• Love
Reactions: Castle8130

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I think Jett Luchanko could easily be the Hawks target at 20.....seems to fit the KD mode completely....of course, it depends on what happens and who's still on the table, but just sayin'

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Looking at the NHL CS final rankings, imagine if they got Demidov at 2, Hage at 20, Surin at 34, and Hutson in the late 2nd. Whew
The picks at #20 and #34 barring we don't move up are probably going to be structural picks. So I'm betting the Hawks are looking at bigger forwards and offensive minded defensemen. Usually in those ranges you are looking at a few guys that are all the same level of prospects. It's not like a top 10 pick where you pick BPA no matter what

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Cant shake the gut feeling that the Hawks pick Lindstrom.

Not that I agree, but if he hits his "ceiling" he is exactly what our prospect pool is missing

Reactions: crazyhawk

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
9-12
I don't value 2nd round picks that much but doesn't this chart disprove its own estimations by saying the proper return value would be in the 9-12 range?

If we pick 10th in the draft next year and KD trades that for #20 + #34 I'd be pissed. The value of these draft picks going down very quickly outside of the top 15 or so. You're WAY more likely to get a good to great player in the 9-12 range than you'd be to get two good players at 20 and 34 no?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't value 2nd round picks that much but doesn't this chart disprove its own estimations by saying the proper return value would be in the 9-12 range?

If we pick 10th in the draft next year and KD trades that for #20 + #34 I'd be pissed. The value of these draft picks going down very quickly outside of the top 15 or so. You're WAY more likely to get a good to great player in the 9-12 range than you'd be to get two good players at 20 and 34 no?
20 -> 10 is only ten spots at the end of the day. A 2nd doesn't have to be that valued since you're not making up so many spots. It's not infeasible at all that 10th ends up nothing because 10th is already well within the "yeah they can definitely bust" range, and 20th ends up really good, or they both end up nothing and 34th ends up good.

It's really the extra bite of the apple with another pick, only 14 slots later. The actual picks matter less than expected value, but you can look through.

2008: Cody Hodgson vs. Michael Del Zotto and Jake Allen
2009: Magnus Paajarvi vs. Jacob Josefson and Carl Klingberg
2010: Dylan McIlrath vs. Beau Bennett and Dalton Smith
2011: Jonas Brodin vs. Connor Murphy and Scott Mayfield
2012: Slater Koekkeok vs. Scott Laughton and Ville Pokka
2013: Valeri Nichushkin vs. Anthony Mantha and Jacob De La Rose
2014: Nick Ritchie vs. Nick Schmaltz and Mason McDonald
2015: Mikko Rantanen vs. Joel Eriksson Ek and Travis Dermott
2016: Tyson Jost vs. Dennis Cholowski and Andrew Peeke
2017: Owen Tippett vs. Robert Thomas and Nicolas Hague
2018: Evan Bouchard vs. Rasmus Kupari and Serron Noel
2019: Vasili Podkolzin vs. Ville Heinola and Bobby Brink
2020: Cole Perfetti vs. Shakir Mukhamadullin and John Peterka
2021: Tyler Boucher vs. Jesper Wallstedt and Olen Zellwegger
2022: Pavel Mintyukov vs. Ivan Miroshnichenko and Cam Lund
2023: Dalibor Dvorsky vs. Eduard Sale and Gavin Brindley

Some years give a clear winner one way, some years give a clear winner the other way. Some years it's just crap all around. However, I can look at that and think "yeah it's probably a fairly even trade". I think people maybe are a bit caught off by a 10th overall pick busting or a 20th finding success as "big surprises" but you're already passed the so-called 'sure things' by that point anyways.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

Completely agree. Do not trade down unless it's one of those extra late firsts or 2nds.

It's extremely rare more than 5 players from 16 through the end of the 2nd are first line/pair/g core type picks. Many of those are only really good for 4-6 years as well. Hawks need a core, not a bunch of 2nd pair/mid 6 types.

Reactions: hawksrule

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Jett Luchanko could easily be the Hawks target at 20.....seems to fit the KD mode completely....of course, it depends on what happens and who's still on the table, but just sayin'
The speed is there for sure.

But he's a smaller player that defers that puck.

20 is a bit too high for me. But good value in the 2nd round.

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
One of the youngest in the draft.Played a big role in the U18’s for Canada.Will fill out more as he has a decent frame.

plebskeeto

Dec 13, 2023
Draft Demidov #2 and use some assets to move up with our second pick to get a Yakemchuk or Iginila, if they start falling. Praying this happens.

Reactions: scorehawks

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hypothetically speaking say if Davidson can move up to the 13-16 range, would you guys draft Demidov then see if you can grab a Yakemchuk/Jiricek or draft Levshunov and see if you can grab Eiserman/Helenius?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
Pick 20 should be another forward.Solberg a really mean defenseman with our first second rounder would be a nice add.Nygaard and Solberg two Norwegians.Size and both good skaters.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Like most drafts there's a sweet spot to draft players. It feels like there is a pretty steep drop-off from 17-25 range for me. Then there is a flat tier where you can put 30-40 names up from picks 25-65. Last year there was a significant dip from picks 9-22 and then it flattened heavily from pick 22-62 for me. I like the depth and the top 5 of last years draft a bit more, but players in the 9-22 range are of much higher quality this year. It feels like there is a lot more blue chip prospects with a lesser quality top 5 comparative to last year. A slightly above average class for me

1Macklin Celebrini
2Ivan Demidov
3Zeev Buium
4Cayden Lindstrom
5Artyom Levshunov
6Zayne Parekh
7Anton Silayev
8Tij Iginla
9Konsta Helenius
10Sam Dickinson
11Berkly Catton
12Carter Yakemchuk
13Beckett Sennecke
14Michael Brandsegg Nygard
15Michael Hage
16Yegor Surin
17Trevor Connelly
18Adam Jiricek
19Cole Eiserman
20Liam Greentree
21Igor Chernyshov
22Cole Hutson
23Andrew Basha
24Emil Hemming
25Dominik Badinka
26Nikita Artamonov
27Terik Paracsak
28Marek Vanacker
29Matvei Gridin
30EJ Emery
31Raoul Boilard
32Alfons Freij
33Sam O'Reilly
34Jesse Pulkinnen
35Sacha Boisvert
36Stian Solberg
37Jett Luchanko
38Adam Jecho
39Teddy Stiga
40Cole Beadoin
Way too low on Dickinson.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Beckett Sennicke surely is a riser on many NHL teans boards ...Hawks should take hom at 20 if he lasts that long now..

The question therefore is should we tradevup a few spotsxto gwtvhom?

We can package a 2 picks for one deal involving our #20 and one of our 2nds.. but other teams with multiple picks could also do that to movevup.

So hard to know if KD can pull it off.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
NJ does not have ax2nd roubd pick...

So IF Hawks decide to try to move up from#20 maybe NJ would move down from 10 to 20 + get #34 and our first 3rd rounder?

Or amotger team tgat might drop down for a good haul is Detroit at #15 ...In that case they only move down 5 spots...but would get #34 .. as the sweetener.

We have the draft capital to try to move up..

Anotger possible sweetener is to give up one of our plethora of LD ..eg .Nolan Allen and make a larger deal..

Kd has lots of strategies he could try to movevup.

If we dod move to #10we might consider Carter Yakemchuk instead of securing Sennicke ..

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Pick 20 should be another forward.Solberg a really mean defenseman with our first second rounder would be a nice add.Nygaard and Solberg two Norwegians.Size and both good skaters.
Unless Jiricek falls to 20, I don’t think there is a RHD worth taking at that spot. You could take Emery but is he really a top 20 player? I don’t think so. It seems like an overreach

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
NJ does not have ax2nd roubd pick...

So IF Hawks decide to try to move up from#20 maybe NJ would move down from 10 to 20 + get #34 and our first 3rd rounder?

Or amotger team tgat might drop down for a good haul is Detroit at #15 ...In that case they only move down 5 spots...but would get #34 .. as the sweetener.

We have the draft capital to try to move up..

Anotger possible sweetener is to give up one of our plethora of LD ..eg .Nolan Allen and make a larger deal..

Kd has lots of strategies he could try to movevup.

If we dod move to #10we might consider Carter Yakemchuk instead of securing Sennicke ..
If NJ moves off of 10, I doubt they would be looking for picks in return.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Unless Jiricek falls to 20, I don’t think there is a RHD worth taking at that spot. You could take Emery but is he really a top 20 player? I don’t think so. It seems like an overreach
It’s an overreach I suppose but he fills a spot of need and if you like the prospect, you can’t count on him being around 14 picks later so you shouldn’t try and get fancy. The 20th pick doesn’t need to be a swing for the fences if you’ve already taken Bedard and Demidov the last couple years.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Yes Agreed , hopefully both Norwegians are still on the board when we make our picks !! Skol

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What do people think of Yakemchuk and is there a possibility he lasts to 20?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What do people think of Yakemchuk and is there a possibility he lasts to 20?
Higher likelihood he goes top 10 than him making it to 20.

I could see a team like Ottawa taking him at 7.

We're going to see a run of D taken off the board.

Lev, Buium, Silayev, Parekh, Dickinson, Yakemchuk. They're all gonna fly off the board.

Reactions: hawksrule

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad