Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I remember being somewhat hyped about Verhaeghe based on his CHL highlights (and production) until I saw him in the rookie tournament. He seemed out of shape with no acceleration and energy. He's got this far in the AHL with very good hands and a quality shot. These types of talent used to eventually become NHLers but it's doubtful now.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't get the anticipation over a demonstrably fragile late blooming late bloomer. Maybe he's just a pick that didn't work out. The current regime seems to be able to cut bait on the draft picks that don't advance. I respect them a lot for that. The contract limits under the CBA make sober reflection on the progress of draft picks a necessary trait of successful franchises. I'd use a contract slot to sign an European free agent ahead of committing resources to a struggling prospect.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he gets offered an ELC in May along with Korshkov, especially since we have no first round pick. I believe he is concussed right now.

I would consider it. The Marlies have a spot for him, even though it may only be on the 4th line.

However, I think he is done with us. He made that pretty clear. We'd probably need to over promise to convince him otherwise.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wonder if a engvall/brooks type prospect is part of a trade package this deadilne.

Maybe, but I think Timashov or Dzierkals are far more likely if we are including prospects in that sort of tier. Engvall is our best chance of getting a replacement for Grundstrom, and I do not think enough teams will prefer him over someone like a Timashov or Dzierkals. Brooks is possible I guess, but at the same time, he is one of our few center prospects. I do not think that'll stop the Leafs from trading him, because there are some guys we may be able to pick up through the CHL/Europe/NCAA market and we will have Joshua and McGregor ourselves, but Brooks is the only guy (at this point) who can be pencilled in to be a Marlies center for next year. Mueller is a UFA. Jooris is a UFA and is going to the NLA. Greening may not be back. Joshua and McGregor have not been signed yet...

If we are talking about that tier of good secondary type prospects, I think the order of would be Dzierkals, then Timashov, then perhaps Brooks or Engvall. If Dubas does not plan on signing Gordeev/Joshua/McGregor, then they would also be up there with Dzierkals as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't get the anticipation over a demonstrably fragile late blooming late bloomer. Maybe he's just a pick that didn't work out. The current regime seems to be able to cut bait on the draft picks that don't advance. I respect them a lot for that. The contract limits under the CBA make sober reflection on the progress of draft picks a necessary trait of successful franchises. I'd use a contract slot to sign an European free agent ahead of committing resources to a struggling prospect.

Korshkov?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Maybe, but I think Timashov or Dzierkals are far more likely if we are including prospects in that sort of tier. Engvall is our best chance of getting a replacement for Grundstrom, and I do not think enough teams will prefer him over someone like a Timashov or Dzierkals. Brooks is possible I guess, but at the same time, he is one of our few center prospects. I do not think that'll stop the Leafs from trading him, because there are some guys we may be able to pick up through the CHL/Europe/NCAA market and we will have Joshua and McGregor ourselves, but Brooks is the only guy (at this point) who can be pencilled in to be a Marlies center for next year. Mueller is a UFA. Jooris is a UFA and is going to the NLA. Greening may not be back. Joshua and McGregor have not been signed yet...

If we are talking about that tier of good secondary type prospects, I think the order of would be Dzierkals, then Timashov, then perhaps Brooks or Engvall. If Dubas does not plan on signing Gordeev/Joshua/McGregor, then they would also be up there with Dzierkals as well.

Yup. I think Sandin/Liljegren/Bracco/Scott/Woll/Rosen/Moore/SDA/Marchment are untouchable for rentals. rest could be in the discussion.

Though I think the first 3 I listed are untouchable overall unless it's for a Parayko type.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Wonder if a engvall/brooks type prospect is part of a trade package this deadilne.

I can't see anything of value coming back for players of this type. Snowball's chance of NHL success means peanuts for a return. I would just as soon gamble on the player as anything you get back for them.
Bracco has put himself into the picture as someone that might have value as part of a package, but not necessarily for a rental. That would depend on whether they thought they were keeping AJ and Kappy long term because I doubt they leave Bracco percolating in the AHL for another full season. Sandin and to a lesser extent Lilly seem like keepers but if they add another D with some term it seems unlikely they wouldn't have to part with one. It would be interesting to know the organizations thoughts on their respective value.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yup. I think Sandin/Liljegren/Bracco/Scott/Woll/Rosen/Moore/SDA/Marchment are untouchable for rentals. rest could be in the discussion.

Though I think the first 3 I listed are untouchable overall unless it's for a Parayko type.

We aren't going after rentals at all really, and if we extend it to beyond rentals, everyone is probably available except for Sandin and Liljegren. In fact, I think SDA is a chip the Leafs will be willing to use if teams want a B-prospect.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We all know Dubas likes to draft in his own back yard (OHL) And isnt afraid of drafting an older prospect. Some of these might be worthy of some late round picks!

Top 1999 Born Prospects Worth A Late Round Pick - The OHL Collective

There is not much there TBH.

Nobody there is worth more than a our late 4th or 5th round pick.

Most of the guys there are trash and would need a good OA year to even be considered for an AHL deal, and Keating is vastly overrated. The guy is not an NHL talent. Not even sure he translates to the AHL well.

Personally, Struthers is the only one on that list I have under serious consideration, and it's not even in the 4th or 5th round. Maybe some of those wingers are worth looking at, especially after their OA years for a potential ELC or AHL deal, but none are special enough D+2's to really say that they deserve to be taken. There were a lot of claims about how they are suffering because they play on poor teams, but if these guys want to get drafted as D+2's, they should be good enough to make their team win.

I just look at some of the guys who went undrafted last year (i.e. Kevin Hancock, Justin Brazeau) who are up for potential ELC's and they were all much better than many of these guys. I'll wait to see after the OHL playoffs, but those guys need strong OHL playoffs and to get to another gear to be under any serious consideration.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
We aren't going after rentals at all really, and if we extend it to beyond rentals, everyone is probably available except for Sandin and Liljegren. In fact, I think SDA is a chip the Leafs will be willing to use if teams want a B-prospect.
SDA I could see as well. Generated a lot of hype at camp, but has had a slightly disappointing year. We would be lucky if he became as good as Bracco. Not to mention, Riley Stotts looks like a nice prospect with some projectable tools who we took in the 3rd as well. His offensive talent is underrated.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
SDA I could see as well. Generated a lot of hype at camp, but has had a slightly disappointing year. We would be lucky if he became as good as Bracco. Not to mention, Riley Stotts looks like a nice prospect with some projectable tools who we took in the 3rd as well. His offensive talent is underrated.

SDA is kind of trending towards a bust already stats wise, Dubas locked him in for some dumb reason. I think Dubas should let someone else take care of the drafting, player evaluations, etc, I don't think he knows what he is doing. 3,2,1 #curly111

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendlyGiant

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
SDA is kind of trending towards a bust already stats wise, Dubas locked him in for some dumb reason. I think Dubas should let someone else take care of the drafting, player evaluations, etc, I don't think he knows what he is doing. 3,2,1 #curly111
Sandin is already looking excellent, Durzi was flipped for a top pairing dman, and Stotts, Holmberg, Kral and Hollowell look good. Dubas had a great draft. Let's not forget SDA is basically a bonus prospect from Dubas moving back, and still getting his player anyway

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was surprised SDA was signed so quickly.

That said, the kid is incredibly young. So, we will see where it goes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was surprised SDA was signed so quickly.

That said, the kid is incredibly young. So, we will see where it goes.

I believe they wanted to give him more financial leeway through bonuses. It's a good way to set him (and his family) up financially so he can concentrate on his hockey career.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Pretty much. I think next year is the best year to judge what we have or don't.
Agreed. Writing off a prospect because his stats aren't as high as you'd wish them to be seems silly.

I personally haven't watched enough of SDA this season to make a fair judgement.

I liked what I saw in pre-season. It seems he's not having as strong a season so far as people may have expected. No issue with stashing him and seeing what he becomes in 2-3 years, especially considering he has some growing to do.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad