Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

neversaydie

Apr 6, 2016
Mississauga
After years of poor drafting and developing even with our high picks our luck has finally turned around.

We've unearthed so many late round gems and we've hit on most of our top picks in the past 7 years.

I still believe Liljegren is a stud in the making and I hope we stay patient with his development. Keep in mind not every defender takes off in their early 20s. Most grow into their games and shine in their mid-late 20s.
I agree wholeheartedly. Liljegren is an excellent prospect who will be an NHLer in my opinion. I still think he will be a top 4 RHD. Be patient!

Reactions: stickty111

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
Had to stop up and think for a moment but you are absolutely right about that. Great prospect pools come from having elite talent, but if your elite talent doesn't translate pretty quickly then something has probably gone wrong. Arizona had a top prospect pool for quite a few years, but that was in large part due to Strome never quite taking the step. It's not like their situation was better than ours just because Marner was an instant hit and Strome took until now to become valuable.

If you map out a basic cap and roster management preliminary plan, I think it would look something like this:

18/19
Gardiner -> Dermott -> Rosén (Gardiner's spot is taken by Dermott, and his spot is taken by Rosén)
Zaitsev -> Liljegren
Hainsey -> Ozhiganov
Lindholm -> Moore
Brown -> Bracco
Extended = Johnsson, Kapanen, Marner

19/20
Muzzin -> Dermott -> Sandin
Marleau -> Moore -> ?
Gauthier -> ?
Extended = Dermott

20/21
Andersen -> Woll/Scott (Hopefully)
Extended = Liljegren, Sandin, Hyman, Rosén

21/22
Kadri -> Nylander -> Bracco -> ?
Extended = Rielly

Goaltending is the big question mark. Who knows how our situation will look in a couple of years. I'd preferably like to avoid giving a long-term contract to an aging goaltender though. Other than that, we only really have a couple of question marks in depth positions. Unless Bracco can't translate into the NHL, in which case we might miss a top nine RW or a third line center, depending on what we do with Willy.

So while our farm is getting a bit thin, we're young enough with the right kind of pieces that we should be fine over the foreseeable future. It likely won't be this easy though, things always go wrong at some point.

exactly. and one other variable is also with the timings of how and when guys graduate from the farm - both from a roster replacement and cap perspective. It's akin to blood in your system. If the Leafs are the body, then prospects are the blood. If the blood isn't circulating and moving around, the organism dies. If there's too much blood that passes through at any given point in time and coagulates, the body suffers from a shock or a stroke - having a healthy, flowing pipeline ensures survival and fitness.

When the team is already in contention mode, it's actually in the best interests from a roster and cap perspective to not have too many guys graduate at once. Actually, I'd argue that even when you're NOT contending, it's often best not to have a group of guys graduate at once - you get some benefit of familiarity and that helps with the on ice performance long-term (albeit debatable), but you also have to deal with the headache of managing an uneven salary cap that is vulnerable to bloating.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No, but we shouldn't be tossing him into just any deal.

If he's moving, it's for a quality piece, and Bracco should be the main guy.

I think that philisophy should be used for any prospect with any NHL upside in our organization...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
After years of poor drafting and developing even with our high picks our luck has finally turned around.

We've unearthed so many late round gems and we've hit on most of our top picks in the past 7 years.

I still believe Liljegren is a stud in the making and I hope we stay patient with his development. Keep in mind not every defender takes off in their early 20s. Most grow into their games and shine in their mid-late 20s.

Speaking of, anyone notice former Leaf 3rd rounder Carter Verhaeghe tearing up the AHL? Still only 23. No idea if he has an NHL future or not?

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Friedman mentioned in his 30 Thoughts blog today that the Leafs have let teams know that Liljegren and Sandin are not available in a trade for a rental.

Common knowledge I assume but figured I would share.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Friedman mentioned in his 30 Thoughts blog today that the Leafs have let teams know that Liljegren and Sandin are not available in a trade for a rental.

Also probably obvious: Sandin and Liljegren are likely the last Leafs-drafted blueline depth that we'll see (on the Leafs) during the next 5 years (prime cup window). After this year, it likely takes whoever we draft 4/5 years to hit the NHL, if ever. Sandin and Tim ARE our blueline depth, of course we have to keep them.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Also probably obvious: Sandin and Liljegren are likely the last Leafs-drafted blueline depth that we'll see (on the Leafs) during the next 5 years (prime cup window). After this year, it likely takes whoever we draft 4/5 years to hit the NHL, if ever. Sandin and Tim ARE our blueline depth, of course we have to keep them.
I'd be interested to see what Lindgren looks like when he comes over after another year of playing big minutes in Finland. But yea most guys are long shots at best after those two.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Interested to see how he does. If he can be a 6'5" scoring center, that could be huge for the Marlies.

I wonder if they're trying to showcase him heading into the deadline.
yeah, it's something to look out for. he'll definitely help his chances of making the Leafs if he can play any forward position. he has the size and skating to do well I think

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The lines will be known 30 mins before the game. I assume he will still be with Mueller and Engvall.

I like that line. Bracco is partnered by a veteran AHL Centre who plays both ways. (My guess is that Mueller would be an NHL regular if he were a step or two faster.). Engvall is a sniper with the hands to take advantage of the chances Bracco sets up. He skates well and though not a grinder, has the size and reach to cause trouble on the fore check. I think they complement Bracco’s great passing and vision.

Edit: the note about Mueller’s injury came up while I was writing. Postpone the compliments for another day!

Reactions: stickty111

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I certainly hope their top picks aren't thrown away for a one and done playoffs series.

They shouldn't be untouchable, but not in a wasted transaction.

So for those watching who does Sandin play like? Style wise.
  1. McCabe
  2. Rielly
  3. Kaberle
  4. Salming

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I certainly hope their top picks aren't thrown away for a one and done playoffs series.

They shouldn't be untouchable, but not in a wasted transaction.

So for those watching who does Sandin play like? Style wise.
  1. McCabe
  2. Rielly
  3. Kaberle
  4. Salming

I've been saying for the longest time Sandin comparable is Dumba, but thats just me

McCabe: not in anyway shape or form. Sandin has better IQ, better positionally (doesn't need to corkscrew people to win battles)
Rielly: Maybe...ish but not a good comparable
Kaberle: Sandin hits and shoots...nothing like Kaberle
Salming: Going to be honest here, I have no idea who he is

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've been saying for the longest time Sandin comparable is Dumba, but thats just me

This is interesting ... but it makes him sound like a homerun pick.

Rasmus Sandin Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #26 - Last Word on Hockey
Summary
Sandin may not become a franchise defenseman at the NHL level, but with proper time and patience, he can be an effective top-four player, who contributes in all situations. Since his deal is a loan, it is unclear if he will be back in the OHL next season, or back with Rogle BK. In any event, he needs two or three years of development before he’s ready for the NHL. His game is reminiscent of Jake Muzzin but this is purley a stylistic comparison and does not include ability or potential.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

someone brought up Muzzin as a comparable...I just don't see it. Muzzin is way more physical and relies on his size to win battles in the corner. Sandin out thinks and out works players in the corner, using his body and stick positionally to get the puck. He is also a smooth skater

But I'm just a armchair scout so maybe they see something I am not. One thing I am 100% certain, Sandin is a top4 Dman and will be in the NHL in a couple of years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad