Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by BertCorbeau, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neversaydie

neversaydie Registered User

wonder if you trade a guy like Brown in favour of an ELC guy like Bracco in the interest of the cap? Perhaps he does get a shot at RW, even though they are inherently different players these are the moves we might have to make in order to manipulate the cap

2. JustAShadow

JustAShadow non player character

IMO Gagne (not Gagner) looks lumbering and seems to lack pro level agility. Just new environment prospect shuffling that happens to certain 3rd year ELCs. He like Klimchuk and Nielsen are projects. Chances are none of them get qualified as RFAs.

3. SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue No Leaf Left Behind

That's already going to happen with Moore next year.

Bracco enters consideration, but I think he'll need a guy higher up to leave before he gets his opportunity. Someone like Johnsson, Marleau, Kapanen or Nylander. The same goes for someone like Korshkov too IMO.

I think the others, like Moore, Carcone, Timashov, etc. are fine to stick on the 4th line for their rookie years without limiting them. Plus all of them would need waivers to go down to the AHL so you are more willing to put them in any sort of NHL role they can fit into (including 4th line). Aaltonen is the same but I do not think he requires waivers next year (but he'd be in the NHL 100% if he came here again). I think the Leafs are fine with Bracco going back for his last waiver-exempt year and then calling him up half-way through or something.

4. JustAShadow

JustAShadow non player character

I think bringing up Bracco for a full season in place of Brown next season would be an ultimate cap killer. Bracco would produce somewhat offensively (maybe a lot more than Brown) in his last ELC year then be able to demand way more than Brown would be ticketed to earn despite providing dodgier positional/defensive play.

The best cap management situation with Bracco should be for him to have Trevor Moore's 2018-19 callup status next season. Then Bracco's first RFA contract will more closely resemble Johnsson's and Moore's RFA contracts. Otherwise Bracco having a 15-15 or 20-20 rookie season is getting $3M or more. That would be bad cap management.

P.S. I suspect that Babcock will never like Bracco. Bracco has been hardening himself up slowly however. We'll see.

Magic Man, DanM and stickty111 like this.
  5. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

IMO... Babs will not be putting anyone into the Leafs lineup that is not defensively responsible, from now on. He will tighten up and really force those prospect to play NHL hockey in the AHL or you won't get called up, IMO, Bracco will need another full season in AHL to work on his game away from the puck and to fight for the puck on his own

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    JustAShadow likes this.
  6. nuck

nuck Pelgrane

Too small and soft to add to the powder puff forwards they currently have. They can sacrifice some talent to get a little bit of grind into the lineup. JB is a top 6 pp type player if he is going to work out and they don't need that right now. Moore is a better fit even on his off wing. I hope Bracco continues his growth and gets a real shot next year when they can afford to ease him into a role in the first half of they year.

stickty111 likes this.
  7. Cor

Cor HFWF A-Lister

Exactly.

These guys brought in on deals, or signings like Moore and Marchment are just seeing if you can find a role player.

We found one in Moore, seems like Marchment will be able to, whereas guys like Gagne, Carcone, Subban will likely won't be qualified and let go, and Dubas will sign more FA's or trade for guys more like that to give a shot.

JustAShadow likes this.
  8. Cor

Cor HFWF A-Lister

I would disagree pretty strongly. A Kasperi Kapanen can easily slide to the left side, or traded to get defensive help.

Bracco is a cheap, young, offensive scorer. He's exactly what we want in our lineup for 800K.

9. SeaOfBlue

Not sure I would lump Carcone with the other two. Other than that stupid irresponsible penalty he took that cost the Marlies that one game (but who knows what was said to him; he does not seem like the type to lose his temper over nothing), he has been really good. His puck skills are strong, he's physical and active despite his smaller size, and he can shoot the puck. If he could develop a PK or stronger defensive game, he could easily be an NHLer. Even if he didn't, he could probably end up similar to what Ennis is right now, which is still solid.

I see him getting a two-year deal from Dubas to make sure nobody claims him (not that it would happen, or be a big deal, either way) and then letting him season on the Marlies for another year. He could easily become Moore 2.0 and possibly replace a depth scorer in two years. Worst case, he's a great option for the Marlies for another couple of years.

Carcone has a better shot at being in our lineup full time over Marchment at this point. Not even a question in my mind.

GermanLeaf and Pyromaniac like this.
  10. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

I see Marchment a long way away from becoming an NHL'er, I could be wrong.

Duke16 likes this.
  11. Duke16

Duke16 Registered User

HFer
    In reality, I see Moore, Engvall, Bracco, Carcone and Timashov in the NHL before Marchment to be honest. His production and skating are still suspect, and he is one the older guys in the group just mentioned.

SeaOfBlue likes this.
  12. DanM

DanM Registered User

The bolded is why I get annoyed with Babs, if Bracco can play, and has the talent, he shouldn't play favorite

stickty111 likes this.
  13. leafsfan2point0

leafsfan2point0 Registered User

I can see Bracco starting the year in the ahl and then getting called up mid season same with liljegren. Dermott like.

14. SeaOfBlue

I think he tops out as a Matt Martin, but he'll need to be a lot more physical than he is right now.

Otherwise, he needs to develop a defensive game or score a lot more than he does right now.

But do you know what, he's been a nice Marlie. He is the type of guy I think the Marlies will keep around even if he does get a bit older, just because he is someone who works hard and will stand up to his teammates (like Rich Clune, but in the lineup full time). I would also say that he has gone so far from where he could have expected to be in his OA year in the OHL that he can not be upset with what has happened in his career. He's going to make some good money in the AHL or maybe eventually in Europe, and may even get a couple of shots in the NHL as a 4th liner or depth guy.

Nothing wrong with that.

Duke16 likes this.
  15. BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau Global Moderator

Despite inconsistent goaltending, the Marlies are now sitting tied in their division with Utica with 2 games in hand.

Trending in the right direction at the right time of year. They'll be hard-pressed to catch Syracuse and Rochester but a winning streak and some luck would go a long way.

16. SeaOfBlue

Goaltending is not the only thing that has been inconsistent. It was a team effort.

17. 7even

7even Resident moron

Woll playing in the Beanpot finals tonight. Couple big saves already but they're down 1-0 after one.

18. JEI

JEI Registered User

Talk about an abundance of riches there. Tampa not only has a dominating NHL team, but their prospects continue to impress. Something our organization should continue to strive to.

Side note, how much hype would Carter Verhaeghe be getting if he were a Marlie and producing like he has at 23?

Dermott The Frog likes this.
  19. 7even

7even Resident moron

Woll is having himself a game tonight

kb likes this.
  20. SeaOfBlue

This was from a while ago, but it may have been missed:

Martins Dzierkals was the rookie of the month for January in the KHL. 6 points in 12 games, with some blocks and hits.

He's been really good since coming back up to the KHL. He's T-11th in U22 scoring in the KHL. Not bad for a guy on a weak team and still getting stuck in the typical KHL role for rookies.

He seems pretty set about not coming back to the Leafs because he feels he was robbed by not getting an ELC last year, but then you have to wonder if his rights will get dealt if that is the case. The Leafs did not deal him before because he was apparently valued, so then why would they let him go for nothing then? He could be the prospect the Leafs decide to include in a larger trade as a second prospect. I'm sure there could be a few teams out there willing to give him an ELC and playing him in the AHL next year.

21. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

it was posted here, I'm surprised you missed it

22. BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau Global Moderator

Always was intrigued with his skill set and given the Leafs' centre depth the organization I was surprised to see that they moved him. Glad to see he's doing well, may be able to be a depth NHLer one day.

The Lightning org is certainly doing something right with player development.

23. SeaOfBlue

A fair bit, but the thing to note with him is that he does not really have a lot of defensive skill. His skating is also still not good enough to translate fully to the NHL, and he's not physical. So he can produce at the AHL, but that's about it.

He's going to be one of those amazing AHLers who can never translate to the NHL. That's what I think anyways. Otherwise, Tampa or someone else would have given him a shot once he reached waivers this year. He put up amazing numbers last year, and good numbers all of the years prior to that.

Our guys have two-way skill and speed to match their production. Even if they could not match their production from the AHL, they could easily carve out a defensive role in the NHL (i.e. Brown).

24. SeaOfBlue

I probably didn't. I'm just busy.

LeafChief likes this.
  25. LeafChief

LeafChief Registered User

You mean to tell me you don't read every single post on these forums?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.