Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm an armchair GM/Scout (I do enjoy watching the Marlies), and you can throw his goals/assists at me all day but by my eye test he has not been impressive (other than his great shot). He doesn't drive plays, doesn't forecheck well (even tho he is a power forward), and just generally isn't involved in the play.

Yes I get he is young and he still has time to develop but that doesn't change the fact I've not been impressed by Grundstrom this year. There is still a ton of hockey left and there is always next year to make a better impression

Grundstrom, I'm sure was told to learn how to be a good two-way player, grind and be a good net-front presence. Don't expect him to be a high scoring player. i bet the Leafs would like him to evolve into a skilled Hyman type player.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Grundstrom, I'm sure was told to learn how to be a good two-way player, grind and be a good net-front presence. Don't expect him to be a high scoring player. i bet the Leafs would like him to evolve into a skilled Hyman type player.
Hyman does things right, but can be frustrating to watch because of his lack of skill. If Grundstrom can bring together those two elements he will be a hell of a player.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hyman does things right, but can be frustrating to watch because of his lack of skill. If Grundstrom can bring together those two elements he will be a hell of a player.

He is trending that way, he is fast and gives max effort every shift I see him play on the Marlies, I always notice him during the games. He would do well on Tavares or Matthews LW

Reactions: smitty10

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Apparently they will.

Thought I read ncaa season finishes in March? Could be in a few marlies games this season. Just have to dump one of these extra guys we have hopefully. Hopefully one of sparks/Hutchison gets taken of waivers when the time comes

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

a83e95cb9d5dc21ff05447f4691514d6.png

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Just saw that since Bouthillier was traded to St.Johns, he is 2-0 with a 1.78 GAA and a .932 sv%.

Nice to see.
It's a good program going through a heavy rebuilding year. He has a chance to have a big overage year and build some confidence before heading to newfoundland.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This zone entry from Durzi was top notch. A lot of players would have just dumped that puck in the corner, especially a defenseman. Should be fun to see him and Hollowel translate to the AHL next season.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Less and less of a fan of this Korshkov pick as time goes on.

Hard to be excited about a prospect that has 45 points in his last 96 KHL games... in 3 years. He'll be 23 in July.

The guy that put up two 50 goal CHL seasons BEFORE his draft and then went on to score over a GOAL A GAME after the draft was right there... but nope. Now he's a 21 year old winger putting up 38 points in 47 NHL games this season.

I hope that's a lesson for Marky Mark.

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Anyone know the story on Rasanen? Last I checked he had played in 6 games, which was a few months ago. EP still shows him at...6 games. Has he seriously been healthy scratched the entire season??

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anyone know the story on Rasanen? Last I checked he had played in 6 games, which was a few months ago. EP still shows him at...6 games. Has he seriously been healthy scratched the entire season??

Injured I think? But probably a mix of healthy scratch and injured.

Reactions: 7even

member 147413

Rasanen and Korshkov are busts as far as I’m concerned. I have not faith in either of them playing for the Marlies, let alone the Leafs.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Rasanen and Korshkov are busts as far as I’m concerned. I have not faith in either of them playing for the Marlies, let alone the Leafs.
Korshkov has been playing in the KHL since he was 19 and he plays on Russias 2nd national team, Rasanen should have been at the WJU20 a couple weeks ago, you should just wait and see

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Both are good enough for the Marlies right now, and Korshkov will likely be on the team next year.

Too early to call Rasanen a bust. He's still our best large defenseman in our system by far.

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
korshkov was injured and out for like 50 games. I'm pretty sure he'll be coming to north america after his season in russia is finished.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Having Dubas go out and see them personally last week, shows that they value these prospects pretty highly, so had they had someone in the organization, with as much clarity, and knowledge on the subject as you, they could have saved that time and money. Disappointed you hadn't let them know sooner.

Reactions: teddygmr

member 147413

Having Dubas go out and see them personally last week, shows that they value these prospects pretty highly, so had they had someone in the organization, with as much clarity, and knowledge on the subject as you, they could have saved that time and money. Disappointed you hadn't let them know sooner.
I’m glad Dubas is doing his due diligence with prospects overseas, that’s not an issue with me. However both have seen no progression, or even regression in Rasanen’s case and I have little faith either put it all together.

Your smart ass attitude doesn’t change the fact that both players have been underwhelming even considering injuries.

member 147413

Both are good enough for the Marlies right now, and Korshkov will likely be on the team next year.

Too early to call Rasanen a bust. He's still our best large defenseman in our system by far.
Rasanen is certainly not good enough for the AHL, he does not think the game fast enough.

Korshkov likely is, but he’s so far behind and missed crucial development time that I don’t see him being impactful.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rasanen is certainly not good enough for the AHL, he does not think the game fast enough.

Korshkov likely is, but he’s so far behind and missed crucial development time that I don’t see him being impactful.

Rasanen would be a better version of Nielsen in the AHL. Nielsen was nothing specatcular, and his hockey IQ was definitely the main thing holding him back, but Rasanen has better skating, better reach, and even better IQ at this point than I think Nielsen ever did. Is Nielsen exactly a sparkling comparison? No. However even Nielsen still has enough there to be good enough for the AHL, and Rasanen has all of that and more.

That being said, it's all a moot point because he's not even going to be in the AHL for another year and a half at the earliest. His IQ issues to me do not make him out to be someone who does not have a mind for the game, but rather someone who needs more experience and strong coaching... Which is why going to the KHL was a great decision for him.

He's not going to challenge for a Leafs job for a while, but the time he will be ready will be about the time the Leafs are going to need RD to replace Zaitsev and whomever else we have in the NHL besides Liljegren. He's going to be in the mix with Lindgren, Durzi and Hollowell, and between those 4, there really should be no concern with the RD depth going forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad