Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is meant for the blog, but thought I would post in on the board as well.

Many are interested in the prospects of the Toronto Maple Leafs, as there are some very exciting players that may be a big part of the leafs in the future. This will be a 3 part series. The first part will about the players that don't get talked about a lot, but are still intriguing and fans shouldn't forget about. There will be a separate blog for each player.

Jesper Lindgren

He is one of my favorite prospects on the leafs, and have followed him over the last 2-3 seasons. He was drafted in the 4th round in 2015. Here is a report on Lindgren from that time.

"Jesper Lindgren, an impressive blend of skill, speed, determination, and intelligence, is the one player you don't want to see carrying the puck if you are his adversary. The nimble puck-carrying defenseman plays above his age, and is confident enough in his abilites to make creative plays under pressure. He is poised with the puck and possesses a high level of hockey sense; he is always aware of what is unfolding in the play, and never seems to make irrational decisions or bend under adversity. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in spirit and cunning. However, he doesn't shy away from puck battles, and will use his body to barge his way in and swoop out with the puck. All-in-all, a talented offensive blueliner who plays an adaptive, new-age style of hockey."

He was signed to an ELC over the summer. Leafs still had one more year before they had to make a decision him to the best of my knowledge. It shows they are very high on him. Last season, he signed with HPK of Sm Liga in the Finnish league, and had a solid year there. He had 8 points in 43 games. Those might not be amazing numbers, but it seemed like he was playing a defensive role, and the team as a whole was underachieving. Here is Lindgren in regard to last season, and also this season.

“I want to be a complete hockey player who can play defence and offence. I think what I need to improve most is to get stronger and be a little faster so that I can win battles in the corner,” he said.
“I got a big role defensively, I played a lot of penalty killing and that helped me a lot, but I played powerplay too, just a little bit less than usual. It’s no excuse though. I could have done more. I need to shoot more if I want more points. The plan is to go back to Finland for one more year to get a big role like I had last year and play probably even more. The only thing with hockey is you need to play to develop. I will get to play a lot there. It’s business. It’s a little bit smaller in Finland compared to Sweden and that helps a lot too but it’s even smaller here and takes a while. I just need to get used to it.” (taken from Scott Wheeler’s Athletic article)

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great

Stats

2017/2018
GP: 43
Goals: 2
Assists: 6
Rating: -4
TOI: 20:14

2018/2019
GP: 25
Goals: 1
Assists: 9
Rating: +2
TOI: 18:47

Advanced Stats

2017/2018
Corsi%: 45.5
Corsi Close%: 44.6

2018/2019
Corsi%: 59.4
Corsi Close%: 59.0

Defenceman 22 years and younger, he is 5th in PPG
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he is 2nd in COR%
Among all players that have played at least 20 games, he is 9th in COR%
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he is 2nd in Corsi Close

Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 4/4
Shot: 2.5/3
Puck Skills: 4/4
Compete: 4/4
Defence: 3.5/4
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of Lindgren’s strengths is his skating. He moves around the ice very well with and without the puck. All the elements part of skating, Lindgren has them. Whether its top speed, back skating, side to side movement, there aren’t any weaknesses.

Lindgren is an offensive defenceman. His passing is top notch, and is a great puck mover as a result of his puck carrying. He can quarterback a PP, as his ability to make plays can be a big factor there. His shot is below average. It doesn’t have a lot of power, and isn’t really a threat. Its not a concern though, as Lindgren’s game is about creativity and playmaking.

He is fine defensively. Lindgren isn’t going to lay a big hit in the corner to get the puck, but his commitment will still be there. He isn’t going hurt the team in their zone. The only thing that might hold him back from the NHL is his size. As much as I support skill over size, 161 pound d man just isn’t going to work in the league. Lindgren just needs to get stronger, as it will help him be able to handle the physically that comes with battling in the corners.
Side information everyone, ignore any typos or grammar issues, I am just getting started.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Keefe played Bracco on the PK during the first half last season.

Excellent. Then maybe a year after he's promoted to replace the traded Nylander, he can be used as another dangerous Marner type PKer on the Leafs.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
McAdam last 6 games
GAA: 1.72
SV%: .919
I'm telling you, once Andersen and Sparks are healthy, we should move Kaskisuo. I have no interest in having him around next year to "mentor" Woll and Sparks. He's bad and barely has experience himself.

Andersen
Sparks
Garteig
Culina

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Bake all of em. Its how the Montreal Canadiens built the best team in the 70's. Sam Pollock. Basic, simple, dumb as smart.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So it's actually a good thing for the Leafs to let him develop over there for a few years, agree?

Do you want to tell that to everyone else? People don't believe me even though I have been saying it since he went over there in the first place.

What I do not understand is why we do not get to keep Dzierkals indefinitely as well? How is he any different than Rasanen or Bobylev?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm telling you, once Andersen and Sparks are healthy, we should move Kaskisuo. I have no interest in having him around next year to "mentor" Woll and Sparks. He's bad and barely has experience himself.

Andersen
Sparks
Garteig
Culina

What happened to Culina? Was 5-0 with a .930+ SV% and then just disappeared? Brad Barone and Eric Levine are the goalies listed on the roster right now.

I was excited to see him get a shot after he finished his junior career so well with the Rangers but I have no idea what happened.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What happened to Culina? Was 5-0 with a .930+ SV% and then just disappeared? Brad Barone and Eric Levine are the goalies listed on the roster right now.

I was excited to see him get a shot after he finished his junior career so well with the Rangers but I have no idea what happened.

He was suspended by the team, which could mean he decided to go back to school.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Bake all of em. Its how the Montreal Canadiens built the best team in the 70's. Sam Pollock. Basic, simple, dumb as smart.

Not really true for their forwards: All of Lafleur, Shutt, Gainey, Tremblay, Jarvis, Risebrough and Houle were drafted and became NHLers in their rookie pro season at 20. Robinson spent a year and half in the AHL. Langway played a half season of AHL games. Engblom played two AHL seasons.

Reactions: Macallan18

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Do you want to tell that to everyone else? People don't believe me even though I have been saying it since he went over there in the first place.

What I do not understand is why we do not get to keep Dzierkals indefinitely as well? How is he any different than Rasanen or Bobylev?

Both Bobylev and Dzierkals were drafted as CHL prospects and the Leafs let Bobylevs rights expire, Dzierkals was signed to an AHL deal, but the Leafs never resigned him.

Rasanen had another year of CHL junior eligiblity, but he chose to return to the KHL. Because of this, the Leafs retain his rights until he returns to North America (ECHL, AHL, NHL); when he returns I believe they will continue to hold his rights for 7 more seasons, regardless if he returns back to the KHL in that time frame.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Babcock likes over baking prospects and I can't say he is wrong with doing that .

looking at our NHL roster, letting them stay in the AHL isnt a punishment, it is a capacity situation. we have a real good foundation on the club right now and there isnt a lot of room to bring people up.

looking at below roster, only way bracco comes up is if someone like kapanen gets moved in a deal for a defensema

hyman-tavares-marner
johnsson-matthews-nylander
marleau-kadri-kapanen
grundstom-moore-brown

rielly- zaitsev
dermott-xxxxx
rosen-lily

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Moore, Bracco, Grundstrom.. the kids are knocking just a matter of space at this point

Grundstrom had a good game, that doesn't change the fact he's had a disappointing season so far. Right now I have Rosen and Moore as future NHLers with Liljegren and Bracco as strong possibilities for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad