Marleau worth every penny

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Probably doesn't really care about the regular season. Think about it, he's made the playoffs every single year with San Jose and then with the Leafs. It's meaningless to him mentally

Playoffs is where it matters and probably when he'll start to care and you'll notice a big improvement in his game
I never realized but he has been only left outside the playoffs twice in his long long career.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Considering his NMC, crossing our fingers and hoping he randomly gets better in the playoffs is likely all we can do at the moment. Unfortunately I’m not too confident that’s going to work: he’s had an amazing career but there’s no getting around old age. And for a pro hockey player, he’s ancient at this point

Reactions: Critical91

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Honestly, at this point I'm not sure where Marleau would fit in on a LW depth chart based on merit. I'd probably have both Leivo and Hyman above him, and given the same chance I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnsson outperform him too. He's become an absolute passenger on that line. He was significantly better last year, and even that was a season where you could see clear signs of aging.

Let’s not throw stones after 8 freaking games...

Reactions: The Apologist

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Considering his NMC, crossing our fingers and hoping he randomly gets better in the playoffs is likely all we can do at the moment. Unfortunately I’m not too confident that’s going to work: he’s had an amazing career but there’s no getting around old age. And for a pro hockey player, he’s ancient at this point

he did last season.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Marleau is doing what he is suppose to be doing on that line, and that is to be a safety blanket for the two youngsters.

Watch the game. Every time the first line is scored upon, Marleau is in position while either Matthews or Kapanen was late coming back or just not there.

But like who cares? That line has been winning games.

This is the NHL. Even security blankets cost money.

Lets face the obvious facts too.

Who are the Leafs two best power forwards? The two free agents.

:baghead:

Reactions: Hogan86

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You’re overrating Marleau’s defensive impact imo.

He’s fine, but he’s not much better than average at his point in his career

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
A deal is a deal. Leafs gave it out. Live with the consequences. Learn from it.

But it wasn't a deal made by the current GM. And if our current GM can correct this mistake made by the previous GM even if he has to squirm his way out of it, all the more power to him. Fact is, it is not a net benefit to the team next year to keep Marleau as we have stars to pay a defense that needs improving and players making $1 mil that could replace him, so all due effort to make his cap hit go away should be seriously considered along with any other issue standing in the Leafs way of icing the best possible team to challenge for the cup. Other teams have done the same thing when push came to shove and weren't criticized for it a whit (Detroit with Datsyuk, Chicago with Hossa among many others), no reason why it shouldn't be a tool in the current management's arsenal as well to be used if need be.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
But it wasn't a deal made by the current GM. And if our current GM can correct this mistake made by the previous GM even if he has to squirm his way out of it, all the more power to him. Fact is, it is not a net benefit to the team next year to keep Marleau as we have stars to pay a defense that needs improving and players making $1 mil that could replace him, so all due effort to make his cap hit go away should be seriously considered along with any other issue standing in the Leafs way of icing the best possible team to challenge for the cup. Other teams have done the same thing when push came to shove and weren't criticized for it a whit (Detroit with Datsyuk, Chicago with Hossa among many others), no reason why it shouldn't be a tool in the current management's arsenal as well to be used if need be.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do - f Betman

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Yes, but the NHL investigated it.

Dont know if the Leafs would be able to get away with something like that.
What makes Washington special? If each step is executed above board and by the rules then why not? Moves like this would actually be good for the game. It allows rich teams to utilize the cba to keep their teams together and poor teams to artificially reach the floor

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well we all knew it was gonna be risk. It’s done next year, long term it isn’t a huge issue.

That 6.25M is going to be an absolute noose next offseason when hopefully Nylander Marner and Matthews are getting paid, that's not even counting all the other guys needing new deals

Our D sucks and we're going to have to let one of our best defenseman walk because we can't afford him and are still paying that other passenger

I hated the Marleau deal at the time and I ******* hate it even more now

Reactions: Critical91

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
That 6.25M is going to be an absolute noose next offseason when hopefully Nylander Marner and Matthews are getting paid, that's not even counting all the other guys needing new deals

Our D sucks and we're going to have to let one of our best defenseman walk because we can't afford him and are still paying that other passenger

We can (and hopefully will) Orpik his contract.

Step 1 = Trade him for an immediate buyout (we'd need to add a pick / prospect).
Step 2 = Immediately re-sign him to a 1-year contract (he's still up money at 700k).
Step 3 = $5,550,000 in cap-savings (with Marleau still happily in Toronto).

Washington did it with Orpik this year (hence the name).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Step 1 = Trade him for an immediate buyout (we'd need to add a pick / prospect).
Step 2 = Immediately re-sign him to a 1-year contract (he's still up money at 700k).

He's got a full NMC, unless he agrees nobody is doing anything with him and unless he wins a cup this season I don't see why he'd agree

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010

Step 3 = $5,550,000 in cap-savings (with Marleau still happily in Toronto).

Marleau is a marginal player on this great Leafs team. Johnson and Hyman are about on par with Marleau now and Lindholm/Gauthier are grittier. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we could simply just trade away his salary.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Jake Gardiner long-term at 6 mil is not a great idea either...

Mar 26, 2010
Dubas/Shanny are going to have to bury Marleau on Robidas island next season. He can not produce anymore and the team desperately needs that $6.25M in Cap space.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
He's got a full NMC, unless he agrees nobody is doing anything with him and unless he wins a cup this season I don't see why he'd agree

Use your head Kiwi.

We are trading Marleau plus an asset specifically so another will buy him out for us.

Then we will immediately re-sign him.

There's literally 0% chance he leaves Toronto (he wouldn't even get on a plane).

And he's guaranteed to make more money than his original $4,250,000.

His buyout salary would be $3,800,000 & league minimum is $700,000.

Toronto: You wan't to stay in Toronto, help the team & make more money?
Marleau: No f*** you Dubas.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad