Marleau worth every penny

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Marleau is a marginal player on this great Leafs team. Johnson and Hyman are about on par with Marleau now and Lindholm/Gauthier are grittier. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we could simply just trade away his salary.

Marleau would have to agree to that though, so it may not be possible.

My suggestion is just something we could do it trading him wasn't an option.

(There's obviously still a trade involved but Marleau wouldn't leave Toronto)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Jake Gardiner long-term at 6 mil is not a great idea either...

You can argume that one, I think he's a good player myself but signing him long term is debatable, having Marleau at a 6.25M cap hit it catastrophic though

Giving old guys term is a serious risk, especially if its for 3 years

Use your head Kiwi.

We are trading Marleau plus an asset specifically so another will buy him out for us.

Then we will immediately re-sign him.

There's literally 0% chance he leaves Toronto (he wouldn't even get on a plane).

And he's guaranteed to make more money than his original $4,250,000.

His buyout salary would be $3,800,000 & league minimum is $700,000.

Toronto: You wan't to stay in Toronto, help the team & make more money?
Marleau: No f*** you Dubas.

Who's doing us that favor? there basically going to have to agree to collude with us to get around the salary cap

Jesus, if we get caught doing that were toast

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
You can argume that one, I think he's a good player myself but signing him long term is debatable, having Marleau at a 6.25M cap hit it catastrophic though

Giving old guys term is a serious risk, especially if its for 3 years

Who's doing us that favor? there basically going to have to agree to collude with us to get around the salary cap

Jesus, if we get caught doing that were toast

WASHINGTON ALREADY DID IT THIS YEAR WITH ORPIK.
- The league investigated & deemed it completely legal.
- Whoever does the "favour" will get fair compensation for taking on a 1-year cap hit.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
His finish had gone down the drain. If he doesnt have that he’s got nothing. That 3rd year is gunna be bad if we can’t move him.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
- Whoever does the "favour" will get fair compensation for taking on a 1-year cap hit.

Honesty, it doesn't matter if he doesn't come back whatever the price. We have enough capable wingers in the pipe that Marleau could just go back to San jose for his final season and retire a Shark. All good as far as I am concerned.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

This needs to be stickied.

In terms of Marleau being worth every penny, this isn't quite true. It's like a splurge purchase that's okay, but may cause budgetary problems later.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Honesty, it doesn't matter if he doesn't come back whatever the price. We have enough capable wingers in the pipe that Marleau could just go back to San jose for his final season and retire a Shark. All good as far as I am concerned.
Name the capable wingers in the pipeline that could come and produce in our top 9? Grundstrom and Bracco are not ready. Trevor Moore isn't that realistic. The Leafs are actually very thin for capable wingers that could produce, especially for our top 6. We need Nylander back in the worst way.

Pacholeafs

Oct 13, 2018
he is soo bad right now. He was also pretty shit last year but how dare we talk badly about our recent overpaid acquisition?

Guy has 0 creativity and the play dies on his stick.

I felt bad for anybody that had to play on his line last year. This year, poor matthews

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

You're missing the point.

Marleau probably doesn't wan't to leave....and no one is going to force him to.

This is a win-win for everyone involved....including Marleau.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Funny thing is that Marleau is on pace for the same average point totals he’s had over the last 3 years, yet some think he’s going off the cliff.

But far less goals this year and a pylon would get a decent # of assists playing with Matthews.

Dig even just the slightest bit deeper into the stats and you'll see it's not the same as previous seasons for Marleau.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
again.
Marleau said he is struggling to find chemistry with Matthews.
which would probably be why he's struggling to get anything going.
I would say before people wanna take him behind back and shoot him down, is wait and see if we can move him with Kadri where he did have some chemistry.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
But far less goals this year and a pylon would get a decent # of assists playing with Matthews.

Dig even just the slightest bit deeper into the stats and you'll see it's not the same as previous seasons for Marleau.

He's off to a slow start...like many of the Leafs. If it's Game 41 and it's the same situation, then we can talk. A good hot streak and this talk goes into the abyss as usual. He's also never really played with Matthews, maybe he was a better fit with Kadri after all.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He’s clearly regressed, which is to be expected at this point. Year 3 of his deal sees his salary fall to 4.5 with a 3 million signing bonus. So his contract is very moveable in the 3rd year, the issue is good luck to get him to go anywhere with his NMC.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Marleau and Kadri should swap until Nylander is sorted.

Kadri has 0 goals too. 16 shots (4 came on the PP). 4 points (3A on the PP) and -7.

Might be a kick start both need. I think Kadri would embrace the wing.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think those 30 goal seasons were a bit of a fluke. But that's just my opinion.
To your point ...last year was 12 on the PP (i think) but,his 5x5 competition was top notch,so flukey maybe once but twice? gotta give credit to a pest that can do what he does!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad