Marleau worth every penny

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
again.
Marleau said he is struggling to find chemistry with Matthews.
which would probably be why he's struggling to get anything going.
I would say before people wanna take him behind back and shoot him down, is wait and see if we can move him with Kadri where he did have some chemistry.

I suspect though it’s not as much chemistry thing, (though I don’t think he has much with Matthews), it’s more of the physical issue. He just doesn’t seem like a player he used to be and I’m not sure if more time or new linemates is going to solve that or not.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau and Kadri should swap until Nylander is sorted.

Kadri has 0 goals too. 16 shots (4 came on the PP). 4 points (3A on the PP) and -7.

Might be a kick start both need. I think Kadri would embrace the wing.

Kadri does need a kickstart, but I’m not sure if this is the answer. Marleau isn’t a centre and Kadri doesn’t belong on the wing - especially since without Nylander signed I don’t think there’s anybody who I’d trust with that usage

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I suspect though it’s not as much chemistry thing, (though I don’t think he has much with Matthews), it’s more of the physical issue. He just doesn’t seem like a player he used to be and I’m not sure if more time or new linemates is going to solve that or not.

If you can't get the puck out of your own zone with possession or carry it into the offensive zone with possession, your line gets hemmed into it's own zone bleeding chances against because your average defensively and you aren't a great set up man what the hell use are you?

Your a 6.25M passenger would be the correct answer, I argued at the time that giving old guys term was a terrible idea and I can't say my opinion has changed any watching Marleau this season

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You're missing the point.

Marleau probably doesn't wan't to leave....and no one is going to force him to.

This is a win-win for everyone involved....including Marleau.

Your missing the point. Want to improve defense? No cap room because of the last year of Marleau's gold plated retirement contract. Win-Win?

Nylander/Kapanen young and produce much more than Marleau on his last legs? Maybe have to get rid one of them, both of whom could have a decade's worth of great production because of one year of Marleau's gold plated cap eating contract forces it. Win-Win?

Marleau's family has to stay away from home for 3 years instead of 2. Win-Win?

No cup because Marleau is eating cap that could be better spent on younger cheap and better players or defense. Win-win?

Win-Win for who exactly? Other than the rest of the League, and not Toronto with this anchor contract when the cap crunch hits.

What exactly would Marleau and his family lose by going back home next year?

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Marleau just doesn’t fit with the speed of Matthews and Kapanen. Either replace him with Kadri and let him centre the 3rd line (which isn’t scoring anyways) or move him to Kadri’s wing so the slowness of his game doesn’t become glaringly insane.

Mar 26, 2010
Marleau just doesn’t fit with the speed of Matthews and Kapanen.
No he does not! You can see that Matthews is starting to get frustrated. Babcock needs to swallow his pride and get Marleau the heck away from Matthews.

I have been saying all along (if Willy comes back)

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
what did they think was gonna happen signing a 40 year for 3 years at 6.25per? lou is like 120 so 40 is prob seems super younger too him. one of the worst signings in recent memory

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
what did they think was gonna happen signing a 40 year for 3 years at 6.25per? lou is like 120 so 40 is prob seems super younger too him. one of the worst signings in recent memory
The Marleau contract smells like Lou and Babcock. One of them is gone. One to go.

Reactions: TMLS

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
The Marleau contract smells like Lou and Babcock. One of them is gone. One to go.
egocock needs a fully stacked det team he won cup with long ass time ago or a god mode team canada team. best coach ever btw bc he won stanley cup and gold.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Ka
Marleau just doesn’t fit with the speed of Matthews and Kapanen. Either replace him with Kadri and let him centre the 3rd line (which isn’t scoring anyways) or move him to Kadri’s wing so the slowness of his game doesn’t become glaringly insane.
kadri doesn’t belong on the wing or top line. He’s just too slow. Marleau doesn’t have the legs to play center consistently. Drop Marleau down to the third line with Kadri and a winger with good speed, skill and defensively responsible

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He's got a full NMC, unless he agrees nobody is doing anything with him and unless he wins a cup this season I don't see why he'd agree
Because if we signed him for 2m next year he’d make more that if he just played out his deal. He gets his full 1.25 salary for the season as a 35+ contract then sign a one yeR deal here or wherever he wants (SJ?) for 1-2m w f that’s like found money.
We don’t have pridham and Gilman as our agm’s for nothing. It’s go expose loopholes in the cbd so we can tightrope walk the cap ceiling.
Send him to Arizona with Connor brown and a 4th for a future 3rd. Arizona s gets hind with no interest in him ever suiting up. They just want his 6./5 cap hit for a 1.25 buy out. Everyone wins, player, cash strapped Arizona and capped out Toronto. We get 4-5m in Found space for tossing brien overboard, marleau gets more money and maybe explore other options

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He was solid last year and had a big game 7, but when you sign a player of marleau age, it’s year to year, and it’s not looking great this year...

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
egocock needs a fully stacked det team he won cup with long ass time ago or a god mode team canada team. best coach ever btw bc he won stanley cup and gold.
I've always gotten the sense from you that you have some sort of insecurity with the amount of time you spend on here talking about Babcock. I'm not his biggest fan either but your attitude towards him is bizarre and borderline obsessive.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Lots of people in this thread:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...atrick-marleau-3-years-6-25m-aav-nmc.2366541/

.... should have a look and learn from their comments.

All this “easy to get out of... won’t hurt us long term... he’s a performer....” well, let’s just say this should be a big reality check
Ah geez, the amount of comments saying "We'll just trade him, he'll waive his NMC" or "We'll just LTIR him" are crazy. Seeing as management is trying to get all of our young star players to take discounts, something tells me they're planning on Marleau being on the books.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ah geez, the amount of comments saying "We'll just trade him, he'll waive his NMC" or "We'll just LTIR him" are crazy. Seeing as management is trying to get all of our young star players to take discounts, something tells me they're planning on Marleau being on the books.

I wouldn't take that as a any sort of sign re. Marleau. Not overpaying is a good policy Marleau or no Marleau. We need to find money for Gardiner, later Rielly, Kadri, Kapanen etc., cap management is a never ending struggle.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So far, he's been an issue more than a strength in the defensive zone, he's not contributed at all in transitioning the puck, has contributed to significantly less shot attempts personally or for his linemates than even Hyman last year. He's picked up a few points, but he's been perhaps our worst forward. Especially given how he's only really contributing at all even strength, and he's been given a huge opportunity there. Not an encouraging start for a 39-year old.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I've always gotten the sense from you that you have some sort of insecurity with the amount of time you spend on here talking about Babcock. I'm not his biggest fan either but your attitude towards him is bizarre and borderline obsessive.
I dont like anything over rated, and Egocock is the definition of over rated. Average/bad coach being hailed as the goat.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is contract is structured in a way that would suggest it won't be a problem getting rid of him in a paper transaction, re-sign him for league min. and all is well.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He may still have some gas left in the tank but waiting to see what he does after 40 games is not realistic......40 year olds get worse as time goes on, not better.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Old engines take longer to warm up. I still think he can be effective in the top 9 if utilized properly.

If Nylander signs soon, maybe Marleau gets bumped to Kadri's line and gets easier minutes. Marleau can't handle facing the opposition's best defensive units night after night at this stage of his career.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau does not fit on the first line he has no role it seems, he has no chemsitry with his linemates, does not make plays and seems to have little skill left in him at this point. Marleau and Kadri have little chemistrym)(Mitch made it appear that way after joining the but if he can work hard and play defensively I guess 3rd line works. Marleau is not needed on this team especially @ 6.25 million cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad