Marleau worth every penny

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
On the bright side, if Marleau _is_ open to mutually terminating, he’s probably also open to accepting a trade anywhere that is open to taking the cap hit without the salary.

So we would likely trade it and another team would terminate it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau is a not a driver of play this year. He is more of a passenger. He still has value but not at his AVV. He has slowed down a wee bit and it will get worse as season progresses. Next year if we keep Nylander and Gards I'm afraid he will have to be the casualty due to CAP.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Marleau is a not a driver of play this year. He is more of a passenger. He still has value but not at his AVV. He has slowed down a wee bit and it will get worse as season progresses. Next year if we keep Nylander and Gards I'm afraid he will have to be the casualty due to CAP.
I still hope he just realize he does not have to prove much in the regular season, his legacy is already fine in that regard and the team is doing fine anyway. But he, like an older player is saving his strengths for the last 3rd of the season so he comes in hot when the playoffs starts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It would be great if we win the Cup this spring and then he retires. I know he will retire a Shark. or maybe he could do his last lap with sharks so leafs better off next year. The Leafs could shoot them some $$$ for their trouble. Maybe we could help on their sponsor side so it does not hit the hockey player side.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
It would be great if we win the Cup this spring and then he retires. I know he will retire a Shark. or maybe he could do his last lap with sharks so leafs better off next year. The Leafs could shoot them some $$$ for their trouble. Maybe we could help on their sponsor side so it does not hit the hockey player side.
your crazy if u think he will retire when he can make 6.2 million while he is 41. amazing signing by lou. smh

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
your crazy if u think he will retire when he can make 6.2 million while he is 41. amazing signing by lou. smh

He’ll only make $1.25m in salary next season, the rest is signing bonus. He can collect his final signing bonus in July then retire the next day. Hard to imagine the guy wants to play a season of hockey for $1.25m at 41 after all the money he has already made.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Marleau has 7 points in the last 8 games, which brings him up to 12 in 20 games on the year. Looks like those old bones just needed a little while longer to get going. He's looked much more engaged in the play lately and has been able to create more offense on both the PP and ES. He's not driving the offense, but he's not an anchor either.

His contract is still a big problem for next year, but I'm very happy that he's finally playing reasonably well this year. Having him producing even at a 45 point rate gives us some much needed depth scoring.

Reactions: Liminality

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's nice hes been producing but was brought in for more than his point totals of course.

Hes not just showing the kids what it is like to be a pro but also how to be a man. Living the right way, taking care of your family and treating others with respect. Building real character.

It's a far cry from what guys like Lupul were mentoring our young guys about in the past.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

It was amazing. We had tons of cap space to afford a very needed veteran presence.

And the deal was structured to give us an easy out after this year and likely be able to bring him back at a lesser salary if he wants to keep playing.

Marleau will likely go from $6.25 to $1 while a Nylander or Marner take his spot on the salary pecking order while he gets another shot at a Cup as a bottom 6 forward while being a person our youth look up to.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A Leafs history note here.

In one respect Marleau reminds me of a player of the 50’s and early 60’s, Bert Olmstead. Olmstead was a high character veteran whom the Leafs acquired late in his career who helped set the tone for the young players who would be the core of the 60’s Cup winning teams. Marleau and Olmstead were different sorts of players. Unlike Marleau, whose skating is superb, Olmstead laboured as a skater even in his prime and the Leafs got him in 1958 when the Habs put him on waivers. The doctors had told the Habs his knees were shot and judging by his skating, they weren’t far wrong. Olmstead had been a fixture on several Montreal Cup teams, named second all star twice and setting the then all time record for most assists in a season. He played left wing with Jean Beliveau and Bernie Geoffrion. Quite a line! Olmstead was as tough and mean as they come and, slow as he was, always a good bet to come out of the corners with the puck. He didn’t fight much but when he did, he was downright dangerous.

Olmstead stayed with the Leafs until they won their first Cup of the 60’s. He set an example of professionalism, toughness and dedication that was well beyond the meagre statistics available in those days. Maybe history can repeat more than a half century later.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Marleau will be the perfect compliment to Matthews-Nylander I still think. They need a warm body with finishing ability unlike Hyman, and Marleau needs 2 guys who can generate offence with good playmaking ability because that is his biggest weakness.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He’ll only make $1.25m in salary next season, the rest is signing bonus. He can collect his final signing bonus in July then retire the next day. Hard to imagine the guy wants to play a season of hockey for $1.25m at 41 after all the money he has already made.
If he gets his ring, he will be either traded or on LTIR on next sept unless Matthews / Marner like him VERY VERY much :popcorn:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

They money Marleau is looking to make in the last season of his contract is $4.25m. The key thing is with his contract, most of it is front loaded into the signing bonus. Meaning he gets a check for $3m on July 1st 2019, then the remaining $1.25m is paid out through the 82 games of the 19-20 season. So maybe he takes a luxury trip to in august, and gets stranded on Robidas Island for that season? Or agrees to waive his NTC and goes to a team with plenty of cap space in a sunnier part of the world?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Mirtle: On Patrick Marleau, intangibles and the true value...
“He makes you a flat out better human being just by walking by you,” was one good line in there.

“You can’t replace that stuff, especially with a young group,” Babcock continued. “If you want to win, you’ve got to have people that do it right every day. Imagine doing it right, every day, 82 times, where everyone is watching you every time you make a sound, any time you do anything, there’s a microscope all over you. He’s that good."

“The first time I ever had him, I coached against him in Seattle (in the WHL). Then I had him at an all-star game when he was 17. I’ve known him a long time. I’m from Saskatchewan. He’s from Saskatchewan. All those things for a lot of years. That’s why he’s here. That’s why we went after him. Obviously he’s a good hockey player — wouldn’t have gone after him if he wasn’t. It was the intangibles that made it so important for our group to learn how to do it right.”
But when you combine his results — that of an average third-liner on an average NHL team — with the contract he has, for the rest of this season and all of next year, it becomes a deeper, more complex conversation. And that’s when the intangibles matter. Without them, his contract would make no sense.

The Leafs are in a tough spot against the cap next season. Perhaps as bad as it’s going to get, with this group of young players. Marleau’s $6.25-million per season contract has been one flagged again and again as a prime candidate to be moved in the summer of 2019, but if you listen to Babcock and all of the young Leafs and Marleau himself, it’s hard to imagine it playing out that way. The organization has grafted him onto the core of what they’re trying to create.

In a lot of ways, that’s great. The previous era Leafs, pre-Matthews and friends, was at times a dysfunctional mess off the ice. There were partying problems. There were players who were disrespectful to staff and teammates. Some veterans, of those teams four or five years ago, were quietly disgusted by what went on behind closed doors.

That’s not happening right now, as far as we can tell. Toronto’s kids by all accounts are good kids, players who are focused largely on results, even this early in their careers. The fact they spend so much time with Marleau, the franchise’s wholesome father figure, is a huge positive — one that could have benefits for years. They can see their future, if they stay on the right path.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2