Marleau worth every penny

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Didn’t the Caps traded one of their players to another team, then that team released him and Caps signed that player again this off season. Pretty sure that’s what the Leafs going to do with Marleau.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Didn’t the Caps traded one of their players to another team, then that team released him and Caps signed that player again this off season. Pretty sure that’s what the Leafs going to do with Marleau.
Caps traded orpik (5m cap hit) and grubauer to Colorado for a 2nd then the avs bought out orpik and he resigned in Washington for a cool million. With that in mind, something like Marleau + Brown to Arizona July 1st for a 3rd in 2020, then in the late summer window Zona buys him out and he signs here for 2m or so. We come up on 4m in cap space zona reaches the floor by buying out a 35+ deal (full cap hit) Marleau makes more money than he would have by playing out the season as is. Looks like everyone wins.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Yes, but the NHL investigated it.

Dont know if the Leafs would be able to get away with something like that.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Marleu will get better and you will reach the semifinals at least. Go Leafs!

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Dude scored two goals in game seven, clutch, he gets a pass on the season but if those ice baths dont get him producing in the playoffs i will change my tune

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Do people really think the Leafs organization is going to trade a hall of famer who left his home of 20 years to sign with us, for the purpose of then having him bought out and resigned at a discount? Really? That sounds like something you think this team would do? That seems like a good course of action to you? Humiliating a hall of famer to circumvent the cap is good? Oh man, I bet you could probably get the job rebuilding the Oilers when Chiarelli is fired for sure.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Do people really think the Leafs organization is going to trade a hall of famer who left his home of 20 years to sign with us, for the purpose of then having him bought out and resigned at a discount? Really? That sounds like something you think this team would do? That seems like a good course of action to you? Humiliating a hall of famer to circumvent the cap is good? Oh man, I bet you could probably get the job rebuilding the Oilers when Chiarelli is fired for sure.

Getting paid 95% of a 19 million dollar contract for only having to do 2 out of 3 years of the work being paid for doesn't sound like humiliation to me. Sounds pretty beneficial compromise for both sides. Marleau gets his gold plated retirement money and his family can return home a year early. Although i wouldn't want Marleau back, even for free. We've got young players who can easily take his place as early as next year.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Getting paid 95% of a 19 million dollar contract for only having to do 2 out of 3 years of the work being paid for doesn't sound like humiliation to me. Sounds pretty beneficial compromise for both sides. Marleau gets his gold plated retirement money and his family can return home a year early. Although i wouldn't want Marleau back, even for free. We've got young players who can easily take his place as early as next year.
When you are a good enough player that you will be in the hall of fame upon retirement it is humiliating to be told that the team wants to pay you to no longer play for them. Maybe you would be cool with that, I'm sure if your bosses over there at the bad idea factory wanted to buy you out you'd find a way to overcome the humiliation, but a guy who's in Marleau's position probably isn't going to feel that way and neither will any future UFA's being asked to consider an offer from Toronto.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Marleau is playing too high up in the line up. This is because of Willie's stand-off.

Not necessarily. The plan going into the season was a Marleau-Matthews-Nylander line. Perhaps Kapanen's season to date changes that and bumps Marleau down if/when Nylander returns, but any of those thoughts could still be a ways off yet.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
When you are a good enough player that you will be in the hall of fame upon retirement it is humiliating to be told that the team wants to pay you to no longer play for them. Maybe you would be cool with that, I'm sure if your bosses over there at the bad idea factory wanted to buy you out you'd find a way to overcome the humiliation, but a guy who's in Marleau's position probably isn't going to feel that way and neither will any future UFA's being asked to consider an offer from Toronto.

This whole "humiliating a future hall of famer" line is ridiculous. Teams tell aging geezers who are a lock to get into the Hall of fame to take a hike all the time when their cost/value ratio tanks. And next year, given the Leafs cap situation, that's exactly what Marleau's cost/value ratio will do. Tank. Its an easy choice, young players who have a future versus aging vets who don't.

If Toronto having a habit of dumping bubble players like Michalek, Fehr and a host of others didn't stop Marleau or Tavares from signing up I really doubt convincing Patty to take a hike next year for the good of the team will make any difference where it comes to UFAs who are actually worth signing. Fact is, Marleau came for the money Toronto was willing to pay him compared to what San Jose (a team that had and has the same chance of a Stanley Cup berth as the leafs) offered, IE twice as much as his beloved Sharks were willing to pay. And he will get it whether he plays next year for the Leafs or not.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Honestly, at this point I'm not sure where Marleau would fit in on a LW depth chart based on merit. I'd probably have both Leivo and Hyman above him, and given the same chance I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnsson outperform him too. He's become an absolute passenger on that line. He was significantly better last year, and even that was a season where you could see clear signs of aging.

Reactions: Menzinger and weems

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Honestly, at this point I'm not sure where Marleau would fit in on a LW depth chart based on merit. I'd probably have both Leivo and Hyman above him, and given the same chance I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnsson outperform him too. He's become an absolute passenger on that line. He was significantly better last year, and even that was a season where you could see clear signs of aging.
While I agree he looks a step behind so far, were not even ten games in. Very definition of small sample size. Just as I'm sure Auston won't get 190 points and Naz won't get zero goals Patty will be fine.

Reactions: Buds17

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
While I agree he looks a step behind so far, were not even ten games in. Very definition of small sample size. Just as I'm sure Auston won't get 190 points and Naz won't get zero goals Patty will be fine.
Yeah, I just don't expect play on ice to regress in the same way that production does. Marleau has been very underwhelming so far. Hopefully he just needs to shake off his rust, but I just don't see rust. I see someone who can't keep up pace-wise any longer.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
First of all, it ain't my money being spent. Marleau is older than me, though, and it inspires me to see him playing and scoring at the highest level. If a geezer like him can still do it, perhaps all is not lost for me. From that perspective, money well spent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah, I just don't expect play on ice to regress in the same way that production does. Marleau has been very underwhelming so far. Hopefully he just needs to shake off his rust, but I just don't see rust. I see someone who can't keep up pace-wise any longer.

And you can’t shake age off unfortunately...

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Probably doesn't really care about the regular season. Think about it, he's made the playoffs every single year with San Jose and then with the Leafs. It's meaningless to him mentally

Playoffs is where it matters and probably when he'll start to care and you'll notice a big improvement in his game

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00