Marleau worth every penny

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I know his offensive numbers are ok, not great. But I just love how strong on the puck Marleau is. He just generally finds the right place to be on the ice, is strong on his feet and the puck, and I think the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line has been just fantastic since coming into existence. I know he's an older guy and we signed him for three years, but I think it will just payoff so much come playoff time. Such a good leader and presence amongst our team. Does anyone out there feel differently now who doubted Marleau when he signed? I just enjoy watching him game in and game out doing the little things right. His speed just opens up the ice.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Perhaps if Edmonton or Buffalo had signed a former star veteran like Marleau, they wouldn’t be in this mess at the bottom of the standings. You can’t win on young talent alone. They need guidance along the way, someone who commands a presence in the room. A 40 point season by Marleau is fine by me, to be honest. I’m not even considering his points when assessing his value.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Given his age, his offensive numbers are decent - he’s not that far off his previous seasons production.

So far the signing seems to be working out just fine

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Big fan of Marleau. Ignoring his success on the ice, the benefit of having him around Matthews, Marner, Nylander and all the other young guys is pretty obvious.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Tavares Brown

I want three first lines...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
was at the game tonight, Marleau was the part of that line that wasn't impressive to me. He's fine, but I think overpaid and occupying a roster spot that could be used to try out some young guys who could be more useful at this point. If it were up to me and we had a time machine, I probably wouldn't sign him. But he's fine, not a hindrance to the line or anything just don't think he's the thing making it work either

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
His numbers did suffer because of the usage of Komarov, it had a negative effect on the entire lineup. I think he'll make it look a little better by years end.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Perhaps if Edmonton or Buffalo had signed a former star veteran like Marleau, they wouldn’t be in this mess at the bottom of the standings. You can’t win on young talent alone. They need guidance along the way, someone who commands a presence in the room. A 40 point season by Marleau is fine by me, to be honest. I’m not even considering his points when assessing his value.
Yep, when it's vets that are real gud vets like Marleau, there's good value in having them. Don't think there'd be a difference of having young talent in for JVR & Bozak though

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I told this here in the off-season that signing would push players down in their more proper positions. After changes to lines it’s finally here and we are winning against pretty good competition in last several games. Some perennial cup condensers looked mortal in games with us. And we are not even at 100% of engine power yet. Leafs took some ppl by surprise last regular season. This time around some teams will be surprised in playoffs as we are much better then our records shows. I get it that Bobcock worked on establishing certain types of plays and put some expectations in some players. That cost us position wise, but who cares if we will destroy teams down the road? I like us being underdog. I would like to read comments come June.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did Marleau's speech to rally the troops a few weeks back salvage the Leafs season?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
on pace for 26 goals not playing on a fixed line all year is very satisfying. Hopefully playing with Kadri and Marner his numbers will keep growing.. outside shot at 30 goals this year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Did Marleau's speech to rally the troops a few weeks back salvage the Leafs season?
It seemed to inspire but there was almost no way the Leafs werent making the playoffs this year. Even if you include the games in hand of the teams behind us, the gap is almost laughable considering how many games are remaining.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes almost 40 and still moving around the ice very well, he can still score and play

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau is having a decent year, but Marleau is overpaid. His numbers should increase now with Marner on his line. Yes he can skate and for the most part he works hard. At the same time he has disappeared at times this year but Ive thought all along he needed Marner on his line. Now he can be judged. Marner has brought that line together. With Komarov on that line, Marleau looked like he had zero chemistry with Kadri or Komarov.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I dislike the signing more now than I did in the summer.

He's underperforming for his contract offensively and not nearly as solid defensively as I had hoped.

He looks like a 3rd liner were paying $6+ mill for. That's not good.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Wasn't thrilled with the signing at first. Probably too long ( I know the retirement 3rd year option is there), but not much risk other than that. I have liked him this season. He has run through cold spells, but he might end up with 25 goals or so (especially if he stays with Mitch) , his subtle leadership and experience has probably been of equal value as his offense and will probably be more important down the stretch securing a playoff position and into the post season. Showing the kids what it's like to go deep in the playoffs. That's when his contract will be full value.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
marleau and hainsey have been our best vet signings. someone to lead the forwards off ice and someone to lead the d on ice.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
was at the game tonight, Marleau was the part of that line that wasn't impressive to me. He's fine, but I think overpaid and occupying a roster spot that could be used to try out some young guys who could be more useful at this point. If it were up to me and we had a time machine, I probably wouldn't sign him. But he's fine, not a hindrance to the line or anything just don't think he's the thing making it work either

I agree with you. Wondering if having Leivo, Kapanen or Sosh should have playing (albeit not at the level of Marleau), and the 5m difference could have spend elsewhere.....maybe an upgrade and RHD.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm not sure if he's worth every penny, but he's been a pretty good signing on and off the ice.

I like his line now so much better than a few backs, so he's likely to meet most of my offensive expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->