Marleau worth every penny

HC7

May 2, 2018
This contract was garbage the day it was signed and I got shit for it then. We're a year in and he should be retired.

I don't care if he comes back and scores 15-20 this season, he's still trash and I stand by it. He's not even good enough to get carried by Matthews. Pathetic.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I'm going to be insanely frustrated if Babcock keeps Marleau on that line once Nylander returns. Kappy can play LW.

It can be Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander.

Marleau is a much better fit with Kadri, and if he's worried about the grinder aspect, Kapanen can fill that role just fine.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Toronto Maple Leafs: Is Patrick Marleau Done?

The Toronto Maple Leafs have been skating Patrick Marleau on the top line, and as much as I respect him, he’s been terrible. Someone’s got to ask the tough question: Is Patrick Marleau done?
The Leafs got off to a great, high-flying start to the season but have only scored once in their last two games, as sky-high shooting percentages and special teams percentages started to correct to the norm.
One problem plaguing the Leafs so far is the performance of their top line. The Auston Matthews, Patrick Marleau, Kasperi Kapanen line has scored quite a few goals, but has not been good overall. This is problematic because the Leafs need Matthews to dominate if they want to compete for a Stanley Cup........ More in article.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he's done. He's no longer a top 6 player though. His contract is also garbage at this point, but overall he's still a good third like player. Once Nylander signs he should be moved back to the third line to play with Kadri.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Lindholm
Johnsson-Gauthier-Brown
Leivo/Ennis

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Who is X at the trading deadline? That guy is key to the cup.

X - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown
Johnsson - Goat - Tennis
Grunny

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Lilly
Marincin

Reactions: Goleafsgo95

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Everyone knew that third year was gonna be rough. Really sucks considering our cap situation. Hopefully Dubas can figure something out.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
SIMMONS: Patrick Marleau’s contract a hindrance for Leafs
The more the focus is on William Nylander’s negotiation, Jake Gardiner’s future in Toronto and the upcoming contract conversations of Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner, this much has become obvious: Last year’s free-agent signing of Patrick Marleau was a mistake.

It made sense on a one-year arrangement, to which Marleau would never have agreed. It might have made sense on a two-year deal, had Marleau played better than he has through the first 10 games of the season. But he never would have a signed a two-year contact.

As the Leafs need to find appropriate money for Nylander, maintaining Gardiner, and the future deals of Matthews and Marner, that $6.25 million that goes to Marleau, spread over three or four players initially, is money they could have used to properly set their payroll for the future.

The Leafs understood that signing Marleau meant they would lose James van Riemsdyk to free agency. They were willing to live with that.

It seems more a problem now with Marleau, at age 39, not taking advantage of the position coach Mike Babcock has put him in — placing him on the left wing on Matthews’ line.

Heading into Saturday night’s game, Marleau had not contributed a goal while playing with Matthews, not scored a goal at even strength where he had 22 a year ago. He is off to the worst 10-game start of his career, production-wise. Last season, he was among the best Leafs in shots on goal from the slot. This season, he’s 12th best.

And he’s expensive as the Leafs second highest paid player. Next year, assuming Nylander is here, assuming Gardiner gets re-signed, assuming Matthews and Marner have new giant deals, he becomes even more costly and, because of age, can’t be bought out as a salary-cap savings.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I didn't mind the signing but he's not being deployed well and needs to be shifted down in the lineup and replaced by Leivo. As for next year, if it comes to it, we can probably find a home for him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I hated the signing from the start! But, many on here chided me for it.

I knew his cap hit would get in the way in his 3rd year!

Reactions: TMLS and Pookie

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Not a Marleau fan. But I think the level of his bad play has been exaggerated to some extent. I think he's a bad fit with Matthews. Still, he's better than Brown and Ennis.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Hopefully Babcock notices that he looks marginally better with Kadri. I don't think Marleau has the right speed game to be with Matthews. I feel like he would do better with either Tavares or Kadri. (No, I'm not saying he's slow speed-wise, but he seems to play the game at a slower pace.)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
does he have a no trade clause? if he does then lou is an utter idiot.
According to CapFriendly:

Patrick Marleau - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

UzptI59.png

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
No trade clause and no buyout because of age.
I don't see him accepting trade to any team that would be willing to take his cap hit. SJ sure won't. And because of salary recapture rules, Leafs can't escape cap hit by trading and then he retires.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
No trade clause and no buyout because of age.
I don't see him accepting trade to any team that would be willing to take his cap hit. SJ sure won't. And because of salary recapture rules, Leafs can't escape cap hit by trading and then he retires.
He can not retire and we trade his cap hit to Arizona like Datsyuks contract.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
does he have a no trade clause? if he does then lou is an utter idiot.

Marleau term is only a problem because of Tavares signing. Don't make the assumption that Lou would have signed Tavares-- I don't think he wanted to (he's no dummy , he knew there wouldn't be enough money to go around for the kid stars + Gardner or replacement)....that's the real reason he was relieved of GM job- Shanahan, Dubas and ownership wanted Tavares, Lou said no.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he would look so much better on a 3rd line, playing against bottom 6 forwards...probably not a nhl 1st and 2nd line player no more, but is still gonna be solid for you...i do like the size he provides in the top 9, he still battles very well out there when the game gets tight

he looked great with kadri last year, and its only a matter of time before they are united, i dont see kapanen being dropped down in the lines once nylander is back

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
He can not retire and we trade his cap hit to Arizona like Datsyuks contract.

You're right, that must be the plan. He'll only lose $1.25M by retiring- or lose nothing by taking another job with the Leafs org.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Marleau term is only a problem because of Tavares signing. Don't make the assumption that Lou would have signed Tavares-- I don't think he wanted to (he's no dummy , he knew there wouldn't be enough money to go around for the kid stars + Gardner or replacement)....that's the real reason he was relieved of GM job- Shanahan, Dubas and ownership wanted Tavares, Lou said no.
ya lou prob wanted to over pay for another 40 year old washed up veteran presence.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I wasn’t sure where to put this question.

Plekanec recently agreed to a mutual termination of his contract and subsequently retired.

What is the impact on the cap, if Marleau and the Leafs agreed to the same (for whatever reason)?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00