Marleau worth every penny

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I wasn’t sure where to put this question.

Plekanec recently agreed to a mutual termination of his contract and subsequently retired.

What is the impact on the cap, if Marleau and the Leafs agreed to the same (for whatever reason)?
Did I read correctly that Plekanec's cap hit will be zero? I thought for 35+ the cap hit remains not matter if they retire or not. A la Datsyuk.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Did I read correctly that Plekanec's cap hit will be zero? I thought for 35+ the cap hit remains not matter if they retire or not. A la Datsyuk.

Yes, I believe the cap hit is zero when it is a mutual termination. Can anyone confirm?

Because if this is the case the Leafs can use this approach to free up Cap Space assumming Marleau is agreeable.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yes, I believe the cap hit is zero when it is a mutual termination. Can anyone confirm?

Because if this is the case the Leafs can use this approach to free up Cap Space assumming Marleau is agreeable.

Pretty sure retirement is just a mutual termination of the contract and an announcement that the player is no longer seeking opportunity as a player. So, 35+ is still on the books.

But I mean, if Marleau’s plan is to retire, why not first trade the contract to a team that wants the cap relief and let him retire there.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Pretty sure retirement is just a mutual termination of the contract and an announcement that the player is no longer seeking opportunity as a player. So, 35+ is still on the books.

But I mean, if Marleau’s plan is to retire, why not first trade the contract to a team that wants the cap relief and let him retire there.

I think “Mutual Termination” differs from “Retirement” since there is no more a contractual obligation and thefore no cap hit. Again I do not know the right answer. Just speculating based on the Plekanec news.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think “Mutual Termination” differs from “Retirement” since there is no more a contractual obligation and thefore no cap hit. Again I do not know the right answer. Just speculating based on the Plekanec news.

Spitballing here as well. But which of mutual termination and retirement has contractual obligation or cap hit afterward, ignoring 35+? Otherwise wouldn’t any player just mutually terminate before retiring, thus eliminating the 35+ rule? Doesn’t make sense.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Spitballing here as well. But which of mutual termination and retirement has contractual obligation or cap hit afterward, ignoring 35+? Otherwise wouldn’t any player just mutually terminate before retiring, thus eliminating the 35+ rule? Doesn’t make sense.
My thoughts exactly.

Oct 18, 2010
He's not bad, the problem is that he's not good either and has a 6.25M cap hit. I didn't think we needed him last year as well, but he had a nice playoff series which we lost... I guess...

I don't think his contract is a hindrance to signing Nylander. But it will be a hindrance to the team salary cap next year. 35+, NMC @ 6.25 for an average player... Yikes.

I think he's solid around the net on the PP.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
No, he is not worth 6.75M and he is not worth the good young player were going to lose.
The Leafs cup sucks next year because his **** contract. Invisible, has no chemistry with AM. Looks slow. I dont care about his veteran leadership or any of the off ice stuff.

FriedmansBaldSpot

Dec 10, 2009
No, he is not worth 6.75M and he is not worth the good young player were going to lose.
The Leafs cup sucks next year because his **** contract. Invisible, has no chemistry with AM. Looks slow. I dont care about his veteran leadership or any of the off ice stuff.

I feel like you haven't watched any Leafs games this season, and are just spewing negative opinions because it's "the leafs". Marleau is not slow, speed is one of his strengths, and given his age, he keeps up just fine. He has consistently put up close to 50 points for the last 3 years, along with 25-27 goals. He doesn't take stupid penalties, or many penalties, and is a consistent + player. His goal scoring is down a bit this season, but that will rise too, however he is still on pace for another 45-50 point year. One last thing, his contract is 6.25M not 6.75M. The people who crap on Marleau, have either no hockey sense, have never played the game, or are "fans" who spew anything that's negative because they overreact to a team loss, or one bad night by a player.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Id still rather have Nylander over Marleau. Or whoever that young player gonna be that we gonna lose because Marleaus ***** contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's not bad, the problem is that he's not good either and has a 6.25M cap hit. I didn't think we needed him last year as well, but he had a nice playoff series which we lost... I guess...

I don't think his contract is a hindrance to signing Nylander. But it will be a hindrance to the team salary cap next year. 35+, NMC @ 6.25 for an average player... Yikes.

I think he's solid around the net on the PP.

Yep.

That’s the crux of it. He’s not bad, but he likely shouldnt be on either of the top couple scoring lines on a offensive team like the Leafs. He’s a depth top 9 forward at this point in his career

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
So next year after he gets his signing bonus can we mutually terminate his contract and get no cap hit?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marleau is fine. It's the cap that's the problem with him. You're currently getting about a 3m value for 6.75m pay

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes still better offensive winger than hyman, brown, leivo, johnsson, lindholm and ennis...and only this year and next left

if nylander back, hes more than good enough 3rd line winger with kadri

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Marleau is fine. It's the cap that's the problem with him. You're currently getting about a 3m value for 6.75m pay
Exactly, it is the 6.75M cap problem. If Leaf wins the cup this year, I believe he will trade to OTT or Arizona after July 1st.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I feel like you haven't watched any Leafs games this season, and are just spewing negative opinions because it's "the leafs". Marleau is not slow, speed is one of his strengths, and given his age, he keeps up just fine. He has consistently put up close to 50 points for the last 3 years, along with 25-27 goals. He doesn't take stupid penalties, or many penalties, and is a consistent + player. His goal scoring is down a bit this season, but that will rise too, however he is still on pace for another 45-50 point year. One last thing, his contract is 6.25M not 6.75M. The people who crap on Marleau, have either no hockey sense, have never played the game, or are "fans" who spew anything that's negative because they overreact to a team loss, or one bad night by a player.

On top of it all, I'm convinced the young guys look up to him and rest of the team like having him around -- both on and off the ice.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So next year after he gets his signing bonus can we mutually terminate his contract and get no cap hit?

No. The 35+ rule indicates that the players cap hit stays regardless of the player *being active*. It doesn’t say anything about retirement.

Someone indicated earlier that plekanec has no cap hit after mutual termination, this is because it was not a multi year contract, therefore is not subject to the 35+ cap clause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad