Markstrom requests a trade (or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
We just signed Marco Sturm before dumping him too.

Between our surplus and the Sharks lack of goaltenders, we should be able to make a deal. Miller wants to play in Cali.

And it's a good thing Piarre McGuire didn't get the pens job because he would scoop him on waivers any chance he got. He called the Markstrom throw in, grand larceny

So you fix our surplus of goalies by....having the same amount of goalies. That fixes nothing! Markstrom wants out now!

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
We just signed Marco Sturm before dumping him too.

Between our surplus and the Sharks lack of goaltenders, we should be able to make a deal. Miller wants to play in Cali.

And it's a good thing Piarre McGuire didn't get the pens job because he would scoop him on waivers any chance he got. He called the Markstrom throw in, grand larceny

Maybe they'll fire the coach before the season starts too. :laugh:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There are a few teams that are thin in goal and have no prospects that are NHL ready. Philadelphia & Islanders are 2 teams that lack goaltending depth and could use an upgrade in the #2 spot.

Philly and the Isles both already have 2 NHL calibre goaltenders on their roster. Markstrom is really not an "upgrade" over Emery or Johnson right now. Both teams, particularly the Flyers could have some real interest in Markstrom if they could stash him on their own farm team, but to do that, they'd have to deal something for him and then try their own luck at slipping Markstrom down through waivers.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
The history of the NHL is littered with goalies who had one good year. I would be very reluctant to hastily choose Lack over Markstrom. And really, the Canucks goalie depth is thin. Subtract Lack or Markstrom and it could get scary quickly.

LolClarkson*

So you fix our surplus of goalies by....having the same amount of goalies. That fixes nothing! Markstrom wants out now!

No. It's not a hostile trade request. He will report if a deal doesn't fit.

Maybe Benning thinks highly of Markstrom.

LolClarkson*

Probably a 4th rounder, be nice to package him with Hansen to get a serviceable player or a decent young AHLer with potential.

Getting a 4th for him is giving him away

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Kinda sad to think in just over a year we traded 2 legit #1 goalies and one of the highest ranks goalie prospect. Gillis really made a big mess out of things.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Kinda sad to think in just over a year we traded 2 legit #1 goalies and one of the highest ranks goalie prospect. Gillis really made a big mess out of things.

But Gillis we trust!? Gillis can do no wrong!? Gillis the savior!?

Remember those people :sarcasm:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry to snip down your posts, I appreciate the detail, just wanted to focus in on the only point I may differ on: I take a top 10 pick in a decent draft any day for a goalie that isn't Patrick Roy, Dom Hasek, etc.
Curious why you feel that way?

When we had Luongo in his prime, I sure as hell wouldn't have traded him for a #9 pick. You're saying you would have?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
A guy who can't tread water at the NHL level who is waiver eligible is not "one of the highest ranks goalie prospects," and has not been one for a few years.

And while I am at it, suggesting we trade Ryan Miller, before the season starts, to a team that had no interest in signing him, is purely asinine.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
I imagine his value is off the charts, he was the centre piece in the Luongo deal.

A 1st in 2015 and a top prospect?

No kidding.

What ridiculous hype for an obscure throwaway project from the very beginning. I wont miss that part of it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No kidding.

What ridiculous hype for an obscure throwaway project from the very beginning. I wont miss that part of it.
People were actually advocating trading Lack instead after the Miller signing, as if Markstrom made him redundant.

Pretty ridiciulous. He was a bust when he got here and we were all optimistic that our goalie coach might turn his game around, but he hasn't improved a single step since being considered a bust, really.

I would be very surprised if we could get anything for Markstrom, personally

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd rather have Schneider and Lack in net right now then having to spend $6mill/yr on Miller and getting Horvat in return. It's not even close IMO. Schneider just provides so much more value.

Not me. Goalies are a dime a dozen. We ditch Luongo and Schneider, we get a Luongo level replacement and have 3 good Swedish prospects right behind Miller. On the other hand, Horvat is our top prospect.

I wouldn't trade Horvat straight up for Schneider now, anymore than I'd trade Kassian straight up for Hodgson.

As for Markstrom, get a 4th rounder, and I'm happy.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Curious why you feel that way?

When we had Luongo in his prime, I sure as hell wouldn't have traded him for a #9 pick. You're saying you would have?

The trade market for goalies is very soft and has been for a number of years. Teams simply won't give up a lot for one.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
People were actually advocating trading Lack instead after the Miller signing, as if Markstrom made him redundant.

Pretty ridiciulous.

I think most agree that there'd be risk involved.

I might consider it if the plan was to give Miller 65+ starts, and if the trade value was vastly different between Lack and Markstrom (say, a 2015 2nd or a prospect doing well in the AHL vs. effectively nothing).

You'd be taking the chance that Markstrom bombs but even then the worst case scenario is probably going with a waiver wire backup or giving up a later pick to acquire someone good enough to play 10 games over the last 50 or so...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Finally something that puts to rest all the panic about Lack being the one who will be traded.

Not necessarily. First off there is no guarantee that Lack will be good enough to be a starter in 2 years. He wasn't ready for it last season when Luongo left.

If Lack is truly deserving, he will earn the position through his own merits and will outplay Miller in due time........similar to what Schneider did to Luongo in 2012 (and when Gillis should have traded Luongo......shortly after that phantom "Game 8" Victory in Boston where Schneider started).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The trade market for goalies is very soft and has been for a number of years. Teams simply won't give up a lot for one.
I understand that, but I don't understand why this would make it beneficial to go out of your way to trade a goalie away for a guy who has similar/better value according to the market but less on-ice value. I don't see the logic there.

If anything, the market functioning that way tells me that if you have a great goalie, whatever you do, don't trade him. Even if you get better return than the market dictates, you're probably still getting a lesser on-ice asset.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Getting a 4th for him is giving him away

How do you have such high value of this guy? He's a long term project that hasn't shown us anything. Not to mention we have another guy thats already farther along than he is by a mile. I say trade him for a pick and move on with our lives. I have zero attachment to the guy. We have no time to work on a project here right now.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I understand that, but I don't understand why this would make it beneficial to go out of your way to trade a goalie away for a guy who has similar/better value according to the market but less on-ice value. I don't see the logic there.

If anything, the market functioning that way tells me that if you have a great goalie, whatever you do, don't trade him. Even if you get better return than the market dictates, you're probably still getting a lesser on-ice asset.

I see it like a buyer's real estate market (or any market); people with property should only sell if they have to.That's a big reason why Gillis is unemployed right now. He put the team in a situation where they had to sell.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Game 8. Oh Farhan.

Oh c'mon Babych. An intelligent guy like you can't recognize that I was being facetious? :o

I even used the word, 'phantom'.

Still though - both those teams went at it as hard as they could, and Vancouver came out on top on that particular day.

My ultimate point was that in such an emotional victory........one that Schneider started in........I think this would have been the time to start exploring moving Luongo, and for a realistic price.

If Lack wants the starting job so bad? Earn it. Beat out Miller as Schneider did with Luongo in 2012 ( when Luongo was still at his peak)' and earn it.

After Lack became the #1 guy last year when Luongo left, Lack proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was NOT ready.

Last edited:

LolClarkson*

How do you have such high value of this guy? He's a long term project that hasn't shown us anything. Not to mention we have another guy thats already farther along than he is by a mile. I say trade him for a pick and move on with our lives. I have zero attachment to the guy. We have no time to work on a project here right now.

Mainly because we are a rich team that can afford to hang on to prospects until they are a bonafide bust. Some will argue that he's close to that but hes not close enough.

Remember how Grabner was a bust ? I don't want to see Markstrom in an allstar game in 5 years. So lets hang on to this asset until its not an asset at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad