Speculation: Mark Stone Mega-Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Who is expecting that? Never seen anyone suggest this.
I've seen plenty of Sens fans expecting 2 of Roslovic/Vesalainen/Niku with 2 firsts and that Stone's value has since skyrocketed after the Duchene trade.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
There was a time when Patrice Bergeron was talked about this way. Not enough points. Not elite. 2nd line player. We didn't understand. The people who watched him every day would say he was worth every bit as much as the elite of the elite players in the NHL. Now everyone agrees with that characterization. The proliferation of analytics and our understanding of possession and shot share paints players like Bergeron in the right light. Or at least a more accurate one. Mark Stone is the same kind of player. Yah, he has never scored 50 goals, but he absolutely carries his teammates to the offensive zone. He's a total line driver and nothing happens on his side of the ice unless he's the one doing it. Imagine him playing with another guy like that? Good god, i need a towel. He is every bit the elite player Ottawa fans are saying he is. There hasn't been a player this good available on deadline day for years. The only thing keeping his value down is that the Sens only own his value for 22 more games.

He's a good top line winger. Contrary to popular belief there's actually quite a few of those around the league. Bergeron has 4 Selkes, 2 Olympic Golds, and a Stanley Cup on his resume. Stone has a Calder nomination. They're not in the same class of player and there's no advanced stat out there that is going to convince me this guy is worth an AAV of 10.5 per.

Reactions: RareDangles

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I've seen plenty of Sens fans expecting 2 of Roslovic/Vesalainen/Niku with 2 firsts and that Stone's value has since skyrocketed after the Duchene trade.

Please point them out I'm genuinely curious to see these posts saying 2 firsts and 2 top prospects.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Yea, the question is how much of that "offer" is upfront in case of a walkout? Stone is concerned about the potential walkout. Ottawa has no $$$$$$ for what Stone is looking for. I think he would fit in WPG but WPG has to give up more than they want to. I just joined this group to see how this unfolds and more importantly to see the great fans that all of these teams! Great Hockey feeling here!
Jets are not handing out bonus money for 20-21. They aren't even handing out much bonus money for any year. Wheeler got $4 million in bonus money, none for 20-21.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Jets are not handing out bonus money for 20-21. They aren't even handing out much bonus money for any year. Wheeler got $4 million in bonus money, none for 20-21.

Yeah I wonder how much the need for bonus money travels with him from Ottawa. I think he is demanding more from Ottawa than he would some other teams like WPG. Just like Trouba will demand more from WPG than other teams.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Please point them out I'm genuinely curious to see these posts saying 2 firsts and 2 top prospects.
Im busy catching up on twitter and posts from here while trying to cook super for the kids lol, but they exist.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Duchene just returned two 1sts (or at least potentially two 1sts) and two B level prospects.

Stone is the better player and should garner a higher return. McKenzie is on record saying he's the most valuable player available at the deadline.

Not out of the realm of possibility to think he could return something like one top prospect, one B prospect, 1st, conditional 1st.
The prospects were C prospects not B. Stone will only return what the market will bear and it won't include one top prospect as a rental.

If Ottawa holds out for a top prospect, they'll likely end up with nothing.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Yeah I wonder how much the need for bonus money travels with him from Ottawa. I think he is demanding more from Ottawa than he would some other teams like WPG. Just like Trouba will demand more from WPG than other teams.
That could be true. I did not think of that situation. Sort of a home town discount for the Jets. And Trouba would easily take less money in Florida compared to staying here.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Not everyone shares these opinions but it’s funny to see Abramov labeled as a C level prospect but Stanley and Samberg are A level prospects.
I've seen some optomistic posts about Abramov since OTT aquired him, but yet all noses down on Petan being involed in any potential trade with WPG. Petan who's put up better numbers in junior and ppg in the A. Not saying he's a significant asset, but someone who can jump immediately into your lineup and could flourish with an opportunity he wasnt able to get in WPG.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Seems that Dorion will want to get a conditional 1st in a trade for Stone. In that case, he'll need to gauge which team is most likely to re-sign Stone, because the return will be much better in that case. I'd say that at this point Wpg looks like the most probable place where Stone would re-sign, all things considered. That likely gives the Jets a bit of leverage.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not everyone shares these opinions but it’s funny to see Abramov labeled as a C level prospect but Stanley and Samberg are A level prospects.
I think Samberg is the best prospect of the three, followed by Abramov and Stanley...

Samberg

Abramov

Stanley

I doubt that Samberg would even be considered in an offer from the Jets. He has the makings of a big minute-munching stud in the Jake Muzzin mold.

Why Jets prospect Dylan Samberg has the making of a...

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Seems that Dorion will want to get a conditional 1st in a trade for Stone. In that case, he'll need to gauge which team is most likely to re-sign Stone, because the return will be much better in that case. I'd say that at this point Wpg looks like the most probable place where Stone would re-sign, all things considered. That likely gives the Jets a bit of leverage.

What factors make the Jets his top choice?

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Wish STL would pony up the price it would take...or have the Sens announce he's been extended and end this speculation once and for all.

Would offer:
Joel Edmundson
Robby Fabbri or Zach Sanford
Jordan Kyrou or 2020 1st
Klim Kostin or Sammy Blais

...if Stone would re-sign in STL

I would take this deal I think. If it were Dunn instead of Edmundson I would for sure. Dunn, Fabbri, Kyrou, Blais. Would send something else back... Dzingel or Chlapik.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't expect Mark Stone to end up with the Flames as I think Dorion will want more than Treliving is willing to give up. The Flames are 2nd overall in the league and have the 2nd highest GF/GP at 3.65 (#1 ranked Tampa is at 3.85) so its not like the Flames are desperate for scoring help.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That's all fine and dandy, but we are talking about Stone here, who is the far superior player. By that virtue you can expect his return to be better, given the bidding war that will ensure.
Yes he is a better player than Duchene but he is still a winger. C's are more valuable. I suspect Ottawa will get a 1st plus a young roster player plus a good prospect and the same conditional 2020 first if he signs with the new team.

From the Jets point of view that could mean:
2019 1st
One of Lemieux/Appleton OR Roslovic*
One of Stanley/Green/Spacek OR Vesalainen*
2020 1st if Stone signs a new contract with the Jets

*cant imagine Chevy will part with both Roslovic and Vesalainen

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't expect Mark Stone to end up with the Flames as I think Dorion will want more than Treliving is willing to give up. The Flames are 2nd overall in the league and have the 2nd highest GF/GP at 3.65 (#1 ranked Tampa is at 3.85) so its not like the Flames are desperate for scoring help.
I hear he's pretty good defensively too. And a second line with tkachuk and stone would be insane . It's not like the flames really need dmen.

Maybe a goalie would be a higher need if they aren't sure about theirs but they could prob get Howard for somewhat cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad