Mark Scheifele potential

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Is Postma surplus? I think we should try to turn him into something useful to us, because we can only dress 6 D.
Jets only have 4 NHL D under contract (including trouba).

Bogo, Redmond and Postma make seven.

Toby-Buff
Bogo-Redmond/Postma/Trouba
Stuart-Redmond/Postma/Trouba

Rotating through Postma and the two rookies should be fine.

Rookie D generally struggle with the increased work load. Even Redmond hit a wall on the Rock. Trouba can be shuttled back and forth between the Winnipeg and St. John's if need be.

If they add a #4LD, I could see them making a move, but adding a #4 won't be cheap and may not even be an option. Even if they bring back Postma, it could make sense to keep them all on their budget friendly deals.

On topic:

I am curious to see how Scheifele and Trouba are handled. They will be in competition for roster spots, but their contracts also come with waiver freedom. TNSE has kept players like Postma in the AHL as call ups while they were waiver exempt. Obviously Postma is not a prospect of that caliber, but I wonder if Scheifele/Trouba have to kick the door down to get a full time gig or if they can stick despite being a saw-off with another player.

I say this because:

Scheifele has a better pedigree, but may not cleanly beat out Burmistrov or O'Dell?
Trouba has a better pedigree, but may not cleanly beat out Postma or Redmond?

Is the contract the difference?

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets only have 4 NHL D under contract (including trouba).

Bogo, Redmond and Postma make seven.

Toby-Buff
Bogo-Redmond/Postma/Trouba
Stuart-Redmond/Postma/Trouba

Rotating through Postma and the two rookies should be fine.

Rookie D generally struggle with the increased work load. Even Redmond hit a wall on the Rock. Trouba can be shuttled back and forth between the Winnipeg and St. John's if need be.

If they add a #4LD, I could see them making a move, but adding a #4 won't be cheap and may not even be an option. Even if they bring back Postma, it could make sense to keep them all on their budget friendly deals.

On topic:

I am curious to see how Scheifele and Trouba are handled. They will be in competition for roster spots, but their contracts also come with waiver freedom. TNSE has kept players like Postma in the AHL as call ups while they were waiver exempt. Obviously Postma is not a prospect of that caliber, but I wonder if Scheifele/Trouba have to kick the door down to get a full time gig or if they can stick despite being a saw-off with another player.

I say this because:

Scheifele has a better pedigree, but may not cleanly beat out Burmistrov or O'Dell?

Hard to say but you may be correct. This org needs to do a better job at making calls on its secondary prospects IMO, it seems we wait till we are forced to have them on the roster via one-way deal as we saw with Postma last year and are likely to see with O'Dell this year.

Having said that Chevy has been pretty consistent with his message that Scheifele and Trouba will have every oppertunity to make the team. Another angle is that Mark and Jacob are Chevy's guys and if things are close they may get the node over non Chevy guys like Postma and O'Dell.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hard to say but you may be correct. This org needs to do a better job at making calls on its secondary prospects IMO, it seems we wait till we are forced to have them on the roster via one-way deal as we saw with Postma last year and are likely to see with O'Dell this year.

Having said that Chevy has been pretty consistent with his message that Scheifele and Trouba will have every oppertunity to make the team. Another angle is that Mark and Jacob are Chevy's guys and if things are close they may get the node over non Chevy guys like Postma and O'Dell.

I don't doubt that they'll be given every opportunity, just wonder if they have to beat somebody cleanly.

As for the Chevy's guy thing... I understand that line of thinking, but I really hope he is more open minded than that. If he measuring stick for talent has a factor for who drafted the player, I'm worried about him as a GM.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't doubt that they'll be given every opportunity, just wonder if they have to beat somebody cleanly.

As for the Chevy's guy thing... I understand that line of thinking, but I really hope he is more open minded than that. If he measuring stick for talent has a factor for who drafted the player, I'm worried about him as a GM.

I think all GMs have some bias for their own drafted players, but I do agree that he needs to keep an open mind about things. I however don't see that as an issue, we've already seen Scheifele sent down a couple of times due to not being ready for instance and he is a big proponent of Redmond of whom he didn't draft. My bet is that he probably has a very good idea about the prospects left over that he wants to keep and those he doesnt.

It should be a very interesting training camp.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
One thing people don't remember is that training camp will be huge for a young team like the jets. I feel not having a real one last year hurt the team badly.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013

I say this because:

I've been thinking about this lately. Does Chevy build the roster this offseason based on Scheifele having a spot? Does he view Burm as expendable because Scheif takes the #3C role? Does he consider a Jokinen buyout? Or does he keep those guys around, AND add a couple RW's, and force Scheifele to beat out a proven player?

And another question, does Chevy think Scheif can play on the 3rd line, or is it top 6 or bust at this point?

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I've been thinking about this lately. Does Chevy build the roster this offseason based on Scheifele having a spot? Does he view Burm as expendable because Scheif takes the #3C role? Does he consider a Jokinen buyout? Or does he keep those guys around, AND add a couple RW's, and force Scheifele to beat out a proven player?

Line 1a LLW
Line 1b Kane/Scheifele/Byfuglien (YES!)
Line 3 ???/Antropov/???

Buy out Jokinen.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Noel should play Kane/Scheifele/Burmi for a second line, and give them an honest shot at it, let them play together for a while. I think that could turn out to be a dynamite 2nd line if given proper break-in period.

These guys are just too young to throw together for a couple of shifts and make a long term decision imo. Plus Scheifele and Burmi are going to feel the pressure of making that line this year after how little confidence Noel has shown in them. That line with real confidence could be awesome.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think Noel should play Kane/Scheifele/Burmi for a second line, and give them an honest shot at it, let them play together for a while. I think that could turn out to be a dynamite 2nd line if given proper break-in period.

These guys are just too young to throw together for a couple of shifts and make a long term decision imo. Plus Scheifele and Burmi are going to feel the pressure of making that line this year after how little confidence Noel has shown in them. That line with real confidence could be awesome.

I agree. I for one am VERY glad we haven't offered Noel a contract extension. Not that i hat ehim or want him gone, but i want to see how he handles Schiefele and possibly trouba this year.

to me, Schiefele seems like the perfect tonic for that second line. The skill set is a perfect mix for those 3 IMO.

Kane is your pure sniper, shiefele is both a passer and good at grabbing trash in the high slot, and Burmi is your "ice tilter". It makes too much sense not to do it.

My concern is on Noels player usage, his apparent lack of patients for young guys, and his seemingly random demotions/promotions.

If he puts these three together, he better let them play together and not break it up as soon as one guy makes a mistake.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I agree. I for one am VERY glad we haven't offered Noel a contract extension. Not that i hat ehim or want him gone, but i want to see how he handles Schiefele and possibly trouba this year.

to me, Schiefele seems like the perfect tonic for that second line. The skill set is a perfect mix for those 3 IMO.

Kane is your pure sniper, shiefele is both a passer and good at grabbing trash in the high slot, and Burmi is your "ice tilter". It makes too much sense not to do it.

My concern is on Noels player usage, his apparent lack of patients for young guys, and his seemingly random demotions/promotions.

If he puts these three together, he better let them play together and not break it up as soon as one guy makes a mistake.

At this point, barring any roster additions at center, Mark is coming into a good position, I think. Honestly, he should make this team, in my opinion. Given that we really don't know what we're going to get from Jokinen, and given we could also use a legit center for Kane, there is a golden spot here that Mark Scheifele could very realistically earn. Between the 2-3 center slots that look open for the taking, Scheifele has a great opportunity here to earn a spot so long as the coaching staff/management don't view him as "top 6 or bust", but at this point I don't think that will be the case. The 3rd line can be a great spot to break young players in while not putting all of the pressure on them, but also giving them a good spot to play two-way role.

I have a feeling Mark will mesh well with Kane. We'll see though.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

This year there will actually be a full training camp and a full season. I would love to see Noel put these three together for a good length of time. All indications are that they could be a very good line by the time we get part way into the season.

How much worse could they be than Ollie and Antti? The answer is none. None more worse. :yo:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Instead of Kane / Scheifele / Burmi I think I'd prefer a Burmi-Scheifele - Kane line.

Burmi is great along the boards and at cycling the puck, where Kane is a natural shooter. I think Kane has a better chance at being good on his off wing than Burmi.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Instead of Kane / Scheifele / Burmi I think I'd prefer a Burmi-Scheifele - Kane line.

Burmi is great along the boards and at cycling the puck, where Kane is a natural shooter. I think Kane has a better chance at being good on his off wing than Burmi.

I haven't looked into whether this hunch is true or not...
But I *believe* Kane scored a lot of his goals last season on the rush when he actually was on the right side of the ice (ie: his off wing as you said)...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

But, but, what would happen to the wrap-around! ;)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I haven't looked into whether this hunch is true or not...
But I *believe* Kane scored a lot of his goals last season on the rush when he actually was on the right side of the ice (ie: his off wing as you said)...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is there somewhere where you can see where Kane's goals were scores from?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'll leave that for Garret...that sounds tedious.

grrr!

Greg Sinclair's Super Shot Search program has the x,y coordinates for 9 of E.Kane's 16 goals this season:
7 are on the "right side"
BMA2oMLCYAAgEKS.jpg:large

Greg Sinclair's Super Shot Search program has the x,y coordinates for 28 of E.Kane's 30 goals last season:
BMA2k5kCAAAZgU-.jpg:large

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Looks like we really need to get Kane on the ice more when we are going right to left... :sarcasm:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
how come he scored so many more from the right side this season compared to the last season? Wouldn't have thought that he scores from the right side on a regular basis.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Looks like we really need to get Kane on the ice more when we are going right to left... :sarcasm:

lol goof...

it orientates so person in question is going right => left in 1st + 3rd period

how come he scored so many more from the right side this season compared to the last season? Wouldn't have thought that he scores from the right side on a regular basis.

Variables...
Which shots go in, which shots do not, how many opportunities is he receiving, etc...

EDIT: Here's all of Kane's 2012-13 shots
BMA84-7CYAE1USj.jpg:large

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad