Mark Scheifele potential

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This chatter makes me think...

If Kane might be a possibility at RW...drafting/acquiring another LW might not be out of the question?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
imo, only time it matters what wing you are, is in the defensive zone - and even then, guys can rotate coverage, if they read/ react well.

Shooting off your off-wing in the offensive zone has lots of advantages, shooting angles, etc. Don't mind if more played their off wing.

Some guys like it, others seem completely lost. Again, only worry about it in coverage in the defensive zone. The guys with high hockey IQ, don't seem to have a problem.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Playing the off-side is often about pass reception. You are always receiving passes on your backhand. You just have to make more plays off your backhand (defensive zone chips etc). I wouldn't say Ovechkin has a high hockey IQ and he played the left side until this season

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
Playing the off-side is often about pass reception. You are always receiving passes on your backhand. You just have to make more plays off your backhand (defensive zone chips etc). I wouldn't say Ovechkin has a high hockey IQ and he played the left side until this season

I would say it's also easier to protect the puck while driving the net on your 'right' wing. But cutting across the crease is easier on your off wing soooo...

I personally don't think there's a huge difference in what wing a forward plays. Not nearly as important as a defenseman.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

OV is all over the ice. It's his linemates that typically cover for him defensively. Playing his off-wing gave him a better angle for his one timers. Still scores many of his goals from the left side.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I honestly believe that Scheifele will have a very hard time making it into the NHL, even as a 2nd or 3rd lie player. He just gets pushed around too easily at the junior level. What is he going to do when he plays real men in the NHL? Additionally, nearly everyone I have talked to about this issue outside of Winnipeg feels the same way. Coincidentally, they all were impressed with Trouba.

I hope I am wrong, but my gut feeling says too many Jets fans are delusional about Scheifele, and his potential to become 1st line centre in a year or two with the club.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I honestly believe that Scheifele will have a very hard time making it into the NHL, even as a 2nd or 3rd lie player. He just gets pushed around too easily at the junior level. What is he going to do when he plays real men in the NHL? Additionally, nearly everyone I have talked to about this issue outside of Winnipeg feels the same way. Coincidentally, they all were impressed with Trouba.

I hope I am wrong, but my gut feeling says too many Jets fans are delusional about Scheifele, and his potential to become 1st line centre in a year or two with the club.

I am a Scheifele Hommer to a fault but the primary point of your post is niether unfair nor inaccurate which makes me feel I am not delusional but do remain optomistic.. Balance is Mark's next and last hurdle to gain entry into the magic kingdom. The only thing I would caution you and the people you have chatted with is.......Does Mark have a good sized frame and will he continue to fill out........does he appear to be a lazy and content or does he posses the drive to get better ....is he a finished product.......are the Jets overflowing with middle six talent? Mark has some things going for him so I would caution anyone who thinks the last chapter has been written. I doubt he will ever sport good balance but the key is he only needs to get to "good enough" because he has allot of other talents othes can only dream of and are in short supply on our current roster. I would not be shocked with any outcome this upcoming season from tough transition in the AHL to Calder trophy......Mark has that range in his bag of tricks.

You are also spot on about Trouba when it comes to other fan bases......seems like in 12 months we totally reversed the trend of reaching for a pick to picking the 3rd best player in the draft at 9th spot (according to my estimate of the 2012 redraft results thread) and leaving many fan bases with the feeling of envy vs pity.

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I have no delusions about Scheifele replacing Little. We do not want to break up LLW. The only way I see that happening is if somebody offer-sheets Little for over $5,046,585... at which point half the city volunteers to drive Little to the airport, and we await our 3 draft picks next summer.

I want Mark as #2 centre. Scheifele can't possibly be worse than Jokinen. Winnipeg's waste of Kane's talent has been criminal. Put Mark at centre with Kane on his left, and get a decent UFA RW. Move Jokinen down to 3rd line C. If the UFA RW is going to create cap problems, buy out Jokinen. That's what compliance buyouts are for.

I want a decent #2 line, so that our opponents can't get away with keying strictly on LLW. Plus it'll give Claude extra options for line changes on the road, where the opposition gets the last line change.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
personally, i am putting all my eggs in the trouba and lowry baskets (having never seen lowry play)...if scheifele becomes awesome i will consider that a huge bonus....i havent bought his goods yet.

he will get his chance for sure because of our lack of depth in the middle....i really hope he comes through...he's a great kid and clearly a hard worker....he could be the face of the franchise easily if he comes through just because of his character....fingers crossed....lots of pressure on the lad.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
personally, i am putting all my eggs in the trouba and lowry baskets (having never seen lowry play)...if scheifele becomes awesome i will consider that a huge bonus....i havent bought his goods yet.

he will get his chance for sure because of our lack of depth in the middle....i really hope he comes through...he's a great kid and clearly a hard worker....he could be the face of the franchise easily if he comes through just because of his character....fingers crossed....lots of pressure on the lad.

Why would you bank on Lowry (having never seen him play) over Scheifele?

Scheifele is still the better prospect.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I wonder how well it would work of Noel were to create it Line of Kane, Scheifele and Burmi and give them te easy match up and push them into the offensive zone as much as possible, very similar to the Sedins.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder how well it would work of Noel were to create it Line of Kane, Scheifele and Burmi and give them te easy match up and push them into the offensive zone as much as possible, very similar to the Sedins.

Not sure they would need Sedin sheltering sully. You have two players in Burmi and Kane who get PK time and Mark who is capable of playing a two way game. It's an intriguing combination of talent and would represent B2B 1st round picks. I would like to see this group of three get some time together because there is no shortage of talent in the group but many questions on line chemistry!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Not sure they would need Sedin sheltering sully. You have two players in Burmi and Kane who get PK time and Mark who is capable of playing a two way game. It's an intriguing combination of talent and would represent B2B 1st round picks. I would like to see this group of three get some time together because there is no shortage of talent in the group but many questions on line chemistry!

Burmi was facing decent toughs when we had the USSR line and both were facing decent toughs when we had the Kane-Antro-Burmi line (this season, not last).

Burmi has a knack for tilting the ice regardless of who he faces (from Crosby/Stamkos to Orr/Paros) and Kane is really good at pushing the play forward with his speed and ridiculous ability to gain the zone.

Plus, the west (or most of it) like playing power vs power, so that means LLW will be getting the hardest match-ups, just like Noel likes.

Add all that together, I have faith that those three would work well (no matter who is in centre). On paper at least... True that Scheif was a 2way guy in jr but in the bigs its a whole new level. Burmi's possession numbers at 20 in 2010-11 was quite the rare feat and they were facing weaker mins due to LLW and GST taking all of the workload. Now Noel gives second hardest to 2nd line.
On paper they will (or should) be the best non-LLW line we've had since Burmi-Antro-Welly (which was an awesome 3rd line PS almost scored like a 2nd line).

Personally what I hope is Scheifele and Burmistrov to start together on the third line (if Burmi isn't traded). I (unfortunately) don't see Noel giving up on Jokinen on the second with Kane, and since he double shifts Kane onto the 3rd line all the time, I'd get that line anyways, even for a moment. O`Dell or Tangradi or Wellwood could be the other guy / odd man out that sits when Kane gets double shifted.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Burmi was facing decent toughs when we had the USSR line and both were facing decent toughs when we had the Kane-Antro-Burmi line (this season, not last).

Burmi has a knack for tilting the ice regardless of who he faces (from Crosby/Stamkos to Orr/Paros) and Kane is really good at pushing the play forward with his speed and ridiculous ability to gain the zone.

Plus, the west (or most of it) like playing power vs power, so that means LLW will be getting the hardest match-ups, just like Noel likes.

Add all that together, I have faith that those three would work well (no matter who is in centre). On paper at least... True that Scheif was a 2way guy in jr but in the bigs its a whole new level. Burmi's possession numbers at 20 in 2010-11 was quite the rare feat and they were facing weaker mins due to LLW and GST taking all of the workload. Now Noel gives second hardest to 2nd line.
On paper they will (or should) be the best non-LLW line we've had since Burmi-Antro-Welly (which was an awesome 3rd line PS almost scored like a 2nd line).

Personally what I hope is Scheifele and Burmistrov to start together on the third line (if Burmi isn't traded). I (unfortunately) don't see Noel giving up on Jokinen on the second with Kane, and since he double shifts Kane onto the 3rd line all the time, I'd get that line anyways, even for a moment. O`Dell or Tangradi or Wellwood could be the other guy / odd man out that sits when Kane gets double shifted.

It will be interested to see how Mark's D Game transitions to the NHL.....he became responsible in juniors but he was still a O first player so we shall see. It would be interesting to see Sceif with either Kane or Burmi and I have no problems with Mark playing off the 3rd line if that's where he lands.

I am not sure about Burmi being around when season starts. I have a sense that both camps may feel a change is a good thing value pending of course. I have zero doubt Chevy is working on multiple trade options but it remains to be seen if a deal can be had.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I too want a Kane, Sheifele, Burmi second line. I'm going to as upset as Kane if Ollie is second line center again next year. As someone mentioned above, it's an absolute waste of Kane's talent and effort.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
6484_10152894770385203_1642307000_n.jpg

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was think more along the lines of helping both Burmi and Scheifele develop their offensive game and break Scheifele into the NHL easily, instead of just chucking him into tough comp.

I don't think he'd have to shelter them permanently, but just to give those guys a bit of confidence and to see how that line works offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad