Mark Scheifele potential

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd say at this point nobody really knows yet. He's had short stints with the big club but other than that he's playing awesome in junior. He's not super fast or strong on his skates yet. But as he gets stronger IF he learns how to use his size and his offensive hockey sense he will have the tools to be a 6'3 200 lb center with great hockey senses, an accurate shot and works hard.

Absolute upside around his draft year said Ryan Getzlaf. He's not as finesse or as big as Getzlaf so I don't think he'll ever get Team Canada Olympic team good but a low end #1C or solid #2C would make Jets fan very happy.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Floor - 2nd/3rd line scorer ie Cogliano, Foligno
Ceiling - 1st/2nd Centre ie Bergeron, Krejci

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If he hits his ceiling could be a Staal or Getzlaf kind of player. He has very nice vision and can do damage in and around the net.

Floor... Who knows.

Realistically I don't think #2 is out of the question. Hopefully he his 2-way game carries over.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think his ceiling is definitely Getzlaf or close to it. I think his playmaking will always overshadow his shooting. Good solid two way player.

Floors are always harder to predict. At the absolute minimum a good 3rd liner who is responsible, physical, and can chip in some offense.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He has a lot of strength to gain to be a Getzlaf-type player.

Having watched Getzlaf live last year, he plays a power game that Scheifele isn't even in the same ballpark with.

I think his ceiling is more like Jason Spezza - perhaps a soft'er' skilled game - and his floor is a Tim Connolly-type. If he can add some muscle, and stability on his skates, he'll likely be a very productive #2C.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What do you guys think is Scheifele's realistic potential? And also what is his realistic floor? (like what player would you say he turns out to be at the very least)...Bruins fan here coming in peace.

Realistically I'd say a playmaking Couture. 60-65 point player. Floor I'd say a Gagner, but he could also be Getzlaf if he develops beyond expectations.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i look at his tool box and see a second line centre, but i look at his numbers and hope for a first line centre.....its definitely the million dollar question....what will he become?

playing against every day OHL teenagers and he is a star....put him in against better competition and he fades away.

i feel bad for him because there is so much pressure...he has a 90% chance of not meeting expectations just because he was first, he was a surprise pick and he stayed in the OHL and put up big numbers, whetting everyone's appetite.

i would love it if he could play with Kane on the second line....and Chevy went out and got us a strong right wing free agent to complete the line.....or an awesome waiver pick up.

it will be very interesting...couturier is basically putting up burmistrov numbers, who everyone thinks is a bust....and scheifele is killing it against kids.....which path was best?.....who is ahead?...who is behind?....it will be fun to watch in the end.....

one thing is scheifele is a great kid.....hard not to love him...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He has a lot of strength to gain to be a Getzlaf-type player.

Having watched Getzlaf live last year, he plays a power game that Scheifele isn't even in the same ballpark with.

I think his ceiling is more like Jason Spezza - perhaps a soft'er' skilled game - and his floor is a Tim Connolly-type. If he can add some muscle, and stability on his skates, he'll likely be a very productive #2C.

You're comparing styles, not ceiling. Spezza is over a PPG for his career. Getz is just a bit under that. But Spezza has two 90 point seasons to Getz's one and two more 80 point seasons to Getz's one other.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
[mod]

Anyways, I think his absolute peak would be either a good twoway #1C or a top #2C. A lot depends on how he much muscle he can build and how his skills translate to the NHL over the next few years.

At worst I mean, he could always Daigle himself right out of the league but realistically I'd hope for #3C behind Burmi or something, at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You're comparing styles, not ceiling. Spezza is over a PPG for his career. Getz is just a bit under that. But Spezza has two 90 point seasons to Getz's one and two more 80 point seasons to Getz's one other.

True. I'm trying to picture what type of player Scheif might be in 3+ yrs. And he'll likely be just under a ppg player (much like getz), but he won't play the same style of game as getz, so comparing scheif to getz will just raise expectations unfairly, imo.

Ideally, his game is similar to Zajac, in terms of 60+ pts and solid two way game. But I think he'll have a bit more offense, and perhaps less physical play.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I personally think his ceiling is between 75-85 points. Don't care what his defensive game is like but I think he'll at least be about average and we have Little who can take tougher matchups as well as Burmi.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
At very best he is a Burmi type player ceiling of 3C

Worst case he is an Antropov at 4C

Mark has a long way to go, he is lighting it up against kids, but really failed to stand out even the slightest bit when he played with the big club.

He may also become a career AHLer, and I'm okay with that, we need more depth at the Rock.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Mark has a long way to go, he is lighting it up against kids, but really failed to stand out even the slightest bit when he played with the big club.

He may also become a career AHLer, and I'm okay with that, we need more depth at the Rock.

We should be the furthest from ok with Mark Scheifele if he becomes a career AHLer.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
We should be the furthest from ok with Mark Scheifele if he becomes a career AHLer.
Why though? We need AHLers too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (though most of you will jump on me and really disagree saying he didn't get the chance he deserved.... :sarcasm:) Schiefele, while impressed me in the OHL, didn't impress me or stand out to me at all when he played the first few games with the Jets last year and this year.

He looked like another Aaron Gagnon or Patrice Cormier. And we all know what happened with Patrice. If he blossoms into more, great, but until then I will remain skeptical and of the opinion that he is destined for the Rock. :nod:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I think you're confused about what 'ceiling' means.

For one, Burmi's ceiling isn't as a #3 C, unless you somehow believe he has has completely maxed out his talent level.

Second, because Mark hasn't stood out as an 18 and 19 year old playing against seasoned NHLers, that means he'll be no better than a #3 C?

Third, you're actually ok with a #7 overall pick being a career AHLer? For reference, here's a list of #7 overall picks in the past, count the career AHLers on that list:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/7th-overall/70509/

Might want to clarify a bit, because I'm not really grasping your logic at all.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I think you're confused about what 'ceiling' means.

For one, Burmi's ceiling isn't as a #3 C, unless you somehow believe he has has completely maxed out his talent level.

Second, because Mark hasn't stood out as an 18 and 19 year old playing against seasoned NHLers, that means he'll be no better than a #3 C?

Third, you're actually ok with a #7 overall pick being a career AHLer? For reference, here's a list of #7 overall picks in the past, count the career AHLers on that list:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/7th-overall/70509/

Might want to clarify a bit, because I'm not really grasping your logic at all.

1) That was just for comparison sake, I don't believe Burmi has capped out as he shows promising signs, but is widely inconsistent. Burmi is light years ahead of Scheifele IMO.

2) That's not what I meant and you know it. His play was inconsistent, he was shaky at times (albeit some of it nerves), and he looked out of place. Not sure why you bust my balls for an opinion, I don't think he'll make it.

3) It's no secret that I think the Jets wasted the pick. But either way if he proves me wrong, great, if he does become an AHLer also great because then we have reliable depth that can be called up. Maybe he cracks the roster eventually, just not yet.

FWIW we all know how reliable stats are, doesn't mean they are the end all be all. Only time will tell with Scheifele. But I can guarantee if he doesn't make the team this year and is sent to the Rock people will be *****ing and moaning about it. If he does make the Jets and doesn't live up to potential, people will still ***** and moan about it.

I'd prefer that he start in the Rock and slowly make his way up so he doesn't crash and burn and can prove me wrong.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Except that time when he led the league in exhibition scoring as an 18-year-old. But yeah, when Noel put him on the nth line with Brett MacLean and a jar of Cheez Whiz, he sure didn't impress anyone. And why he didn't score any points this year playing on the wing 8 minutes a night with Thorburn and the Ghost of Luciano Borsato is a real mystery. I say he tops out as an ECHL 3rd liner. Do I need to add this :sarcasm: ?

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad