Mark Arcobello

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Personally, I like the simplicity that Arcobello brings to the top6.

I don't think replacing him with the better player(Gagner) will necessarily make the line better.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
The lines have been in a blender since the start of the season, there's almost no doubt in my mind that Gagner ends up spending time centering all the top 9 forwards on the team.

Sorry, it was more a reflection of the post that you responded to which had a particular lineup.

If we aren't sure if Arco is or is not a flash in the pan, nothing is saying we'd need to put Gagner in Arco's spot currently either. Especially since I agree that Gagner is a better all around player.

Or do you not think that Gagner would succeed between Smyth and Hemsky?

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Sorry, it was more a reflection of the post that you responded to which had a particular lineup.

If we aren't sure if Arco is or is not a flash in the pan, nothing is saying we'd need to put Gagner in Arco's spot currently either. Especially since I agree that Gagner is a better all around player.

Or do you not think that Gagner would succeed between Smyth and Hemsky?

I think Gagner would be fine between those two because he has played with them before.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wings fan coming in peace...

So I was looking at the scoring leaders, looking for someone I didn't expect to see, and I came across this guy.

Never heard of him before anywhere.

-What do you guys think of him as a player?
-Where does he play in your line-up?
-Do you think he can produce points consistently at the NHL level?

Was going to ask this on the main board, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who actually watch him play, not just someone copying and pasting stuff from his Wikipedia page.

Thanks!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He isn't physically gifted(size or speed), but he's a solid cerebral player. Wins draws, plays good D, throws the body, good playmaker/vision, keeps offense simple.

He's been the team's #2C, basically. Hasn't really had any consistent linemates. He's probably almost played with every winger on the team by now.

His future as a point producer really depends on who he plays with, I'd say. He's a great player at getting the puck to the better players at the right time. He could still probably be a #4C with his face-off ability, but he wouldn't be producing much at all offensively if he were passing to 4th liners.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
He isn't physically gifted(size or speed), but he's a solid cerebral player. Wins draws, plays good D, throws the body, good playmaker/vision, keeps offense simple.

He's been the team's #2C, basically. Hasn't really had any consistent linemates. He's probably almost played with every winger on the team by now.

His future as a point producer really depends on who he plays with, I'd say. He's a great player at getting the puck to the better players at the right time. He could still probably be a #4C with his face-off ability, but he wouldn't be producing much at all offensively if he were passing to 4th liners.

I'm fine with him as a 4C, but he sure as **** isn't a Gagner replacement. Gags would've buried the chances that Arco's been getting.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I'm fine with him as a 4C, but he sure as **** isn't a Gagner replacement. Gags would've buried the chances that Arco's been getting.

He scores those goals against Toronto and Phoenix, and the team is 5-7 instead of 3-8-1.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I know Arco's had his chances and can't bury one but no one can sit here and tell me he hasn't exceeded expectations and done a solid job as Gagner's replacement so far. He leads our team in assists, hits by forwards, +/-, and has an impressive 53.8 faceoff %. (something we all know Gagner wouldn't have) He deserves to stick with the team once Gagner comes back. I don't know where but it would be dumb to send him down. Even if he sits in the press box and comes in for injury replacements or against softer teams where Eager isn't needed he would be useful. At 24 years old I think he probably would rather play 1 of every 4 games instead of being in OKC anyways.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
But Arco is smart enough of a player to get himself in position for those chances, we can't just assume that Gagner playing instead of Arco would be getting the same looks.

By that logic we would have Yak at a goal per game right now.

Arco is a good centre, I'd rather see Gags playing wing until injuries.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Arco proves what a player learns from playing in the AHL. You learn how to play a physical game even if you aren't a physical player, how to battle and grind and how to do the little things like win draws, dump and chase properly etc.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Arco proves what a player learns from playing in the AHL. You learn how to play a physical game even if you aren't a physical player, how to battle and grind and how to do the little things like win draws, dump and chase properly etc.

This is very true.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If some folks haven't seen the interview with Arcobello after his two goal performance the other night, I recommend you go to the Oilers site and watch it.

This is a smart but humble player. The way he gives an interview couldn't be more night and day compared to the interviews the young stars on this team give.

Maybe playing a ******** of games in the AHL and learning what it takes to be a pro isn't such a bad idea after all. Who knew.

Very impressed with Arcobello. At the start of the season I jumped to the conclusion that this was a twenty six year old journeyman who couldn't handle the NHL or he would have been here already. I neglected to consider that the Oilers are so bad at evaluating players that they might have a very serviceable player right under their noses and not notice him.

Very happy to see this guy make the NHL and have some success. Go Arcobello.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Interesting read 10 months later.

very interesting......I guess its all about loving your new toy. And our new toy now is Draisaitl and Yakimov lol. Arco has literally and metaphorically moved into Gagners role as scapegoat.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
very interesting......I guess its all about loving your new toy. And our new toy now is Draisaitl and Yakimov lol. Arco has literally and metaphorically moved into Gagners role as scapegoat.

It was Arcobello's job to lose. He sure is not doing a very job of securing it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It was Arcobello's job to lose. He sure is not doing a very job of securing it.

Quite early to be writing a guy off, no? Literally nothing has happened that would lead a team to making a decision on anyone at this point. Maybe some of the rookies as they've went through a tourney already, but not guys that haven't played hockey since April.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Every day I slowly start to think this might not be an issue. He does a lot of little things that I think would make him a useful asset on the 4th line. He wins draws, engages in the battle, goes to the net, goes to the corners and make the smart play with the puck. Only thing I haven't seen him do is score or fight.

Well this is what I said in October. Still think there is a spot for him on this team even if it isn't in the top 6. Then again I will have to see what the others can do.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Well does anybody remember how Arco was in preseason last year? How did he even crack opening day roster? Wasn't nuge and gagner injured to start the year? How did he end up on the top line?

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Well does anybody remember how Arco was in preseason last year? How did he even crack opening day roster? Wasn't nuge and gagner injured to start the year? How did he end up on the top line?

last years pre season heros were Yakupov and Joenssu >>

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto

RNH was still recovering from shoulder injury.

Gagner coming off a career year in offensive production, albeit in a shortened lockout season (38 pts in 48 games), had his jaw smashed by that POS Kassian which in turn, ended his tenure as an Edmonton Oiler.

So yea, no RNH, no Gagner (our two top centres at the time), ARcobello got his once-in-a-lifetime shot

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Noticed Arco a lot today in camp

If the competition was between Lander and Arco, then there is no competition

Arco looks like an NHL player, i'm confident he's getting the 2nd most center minutes this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad